Female veiled

So I bought my second chameleon over two months ago from pet store . I previously had a female veiled but she passed due to being eggbound . I specifically wanted to buy a male chameleon now because seeing my precious girl die was pretty traumatic for me .Now I was told by the workers that they are selling me a male . Well I started being kind of suspicious if they really sold me a male cause I could not find a tarsal spur and he was not showing much of a colour . Today I posted pics of him here and turns out she is a female !
I am feeling kinda upset now because I really wanted a male and I was also saving up for one for a really long time . So yeah I am feeling a little sad over it . What should I do ? Am I a bad person if I want to return the cham ? thank you

So I bought my second chameleon over two months ago from pet store . I previously had a female veiled but she passed due to being eggbound . I specifically wanted to buy a male chameleon now because seeing my precious girl die was pretty traumatic for me .Now I was told by the workers that they are selling me a male . Well I started being kind of suspicious if they really sold me a male cause I could not find a tarsal spur and he was not showing much of a colour . Today I posted pics of him here and turns out she is a female !
I am feeling kinda upset now because I really wanted a male and I was also saving up for one for a really long time . So yeah I am feeling a little sad over it . What should I do ? Am I a bad person if I want to return the cham ? thank you
No your are nit a bad person at all. If they dont want to take her back, but the should, try to sell her if that is legal in US. Females are generally harder to keep. Wish you luck!

Hi. Very sorry about your loss of your first chameleon. Regardless of having a male or female, having your husbandry correct is essential for preventing health issues. As pet stores are notorious for giving very wrong care information, I’d suggest having a husbandry review to ensure everything is spot on. If you’d like to answer the following questions as completely as possible, one of us can review it and make sure all is correct so that you and your chameleon enjoy many long years of health and happiness.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

With veils never ask the pet store. It's 20 outta 80 they even know how to sex any reptile. But with veiled those spurs on back feet. If you can see them it's a male. If you don't it's usually female. I actually taught some lady when she was getting them out for me. I pointed one out she grabbed wrong one. Said no that's female. That guy there. Probably were 5 little ones in a 10 gallon tank. She finally got him an said. Yup that cutie is a boy. She asked how do you know. I showed her see this spur little bump. That's a male then see that one there that's female. She said I work here an they don't tell me that. I told her that's because they don't care. See those 10 iguanas in that ferret cage. You can see stupidity ma'am.
They were hatchlings. But that spur always shows even so young. Just wish it was same for panthers. But I love veils there color yellow/blue an bright neon green. Even that tight grip on you're fingers an hands. Plus those cone heads. Don't really find the translucent pinks an whites appearing. Even on the facial.

Back
Top Bottom