Female veiled weight concerns

natty

I am currently babysitting my brother’s female veiled chameleon. She is about 4-5 months old. As of right now, she weighs 92g which I’m kind of afraid that she might be too heavy for her age and especially her gender. Does she look too heavy?

Attachments

• 3680E78C-EF13-48C7-A50F-CE9ECC18F3DA.jpeg
    3680E78C-EF13-48C7-A50F-CE9ECC18F3DA.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 77
  • B07B29C5-48F8-4F39-8515-CFE587F5D54E.jpeg
    B07B29C5-48F8-4F39-8515-CFE587F5D54E.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi there can you please post a pic of her head on... This way we can see the girth of her casque. That is the tell tell sign of weight issues.

Something is off here. 1) I think she is much older, but hard to tell in a pick sometimes. 2) My 2 year old female runs 86g steady only hits 90s while gravid.

I’ve been concerned about her weight but when I ask him about it, he insists she’s fine.

Attachments

• D60922A3-2C6E-4FA2-9A6F-6B05A1CA9971.jpeg
    D60922A3-2C6E-4FA2-9A6F-6B05A1CA9971.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1BD11675-6D50-4FBE-82AC-F6EE3CF56510.jpeg
    1BD11675-6D50-4FBE-82AC-F6EE3CF56510.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 73
Something is off here. 1) I think she is much older, but hard to tell in a pick sometimes. 2) My 2 year old female runs 86g steady only hits 90s while gravid.
I brought over my kitchen scale and weighed her maybe there’s something wrong with my scale lol

I’ve been concerned about her weight but when I ask him about it, he insists she’s fine.
First I do not think she is 4-5 months old. secondly yes she is hefty.

She should only be getting fed 3 days a week 3-4 feeders and basking should be no hotter then 78 degrees. Or he is looking at dealing with her laying a ton of eggs. food intake and temps directly impact the size of the clutch laid. This also opens the door for further issues such as egg binding if they have too many eggs to lay.

Attachments

• laybin graphic.jpg
    laybin graphic.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 59
First I do not think she is 4-5 months old. secondly yes she is hefty.

She should only be getting fed 3 days a week 3-4 feeders and basking should be no hotter then 78 degrees. Or he is looking at dealing with her laying a ton of eggs. food intake and temps directly impact the size of the clutch laid. This also opens the door for further issues such as egg binding if they have too many eggs to lay.
I just let him know. He has her basking area between 80-85. He told me to feed her everyday, I’ve been watching her for 4 days and Ive fed her twice. In all honesty, I love my brother but I’ve been concerned about this for a while. I’m glad I got a second opinion. He has had her for about 3 months now, How old do you think she is?

I just let him know. He has her basking area between 80-85. He told me to feed her everyday, I’ve been watching her for 4 days and Ive fed her twice. In all honesty, I love my brother but I’ve been concerned about this for a while. I’m glad I got a second opinion. He has had her for about 3 months now, How old do you think she is?
She looks more like 7 months or older to me... Hard to nail down a for sure age though with these guys.

Hopefully he is using the long linear UVB tube light rather then the screw in bulb in the double dome. Otherwise she is high risk for developing MBD which also complicates laying eggs.

She looks more like 7 months or older to me... Hard to nail down a for sure age though with these guys.

Hopefully he is using the long linear UVB tube light rather then the screw in bulb in the double dome. Otherwise she is high risk for developing MBD which also complicates laying eggs.
He does have a linear UVB. He’s had her since she was real small and she hasn’t laid eggs yet.

btw this was her in January when he first got her. maybe this can give someone an idea of her age.

Attachments

• 18BAA1A6-FB31-4DA4-8A18-DCF576FD421C.jpeg
    18BAA1A6-FB31-4DA4-8A18-DCF576FD421C.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 89
btw this was her in January when he first got her. maybe this can give someone an idea of her age.
Honestly guessing age via photo is hard without a reference point... Really need something in the photo we can compare size to.

Honestly guessing age via photo is hard without a reference point... Really need something in the photo we can compare size to.
so, I’ve been looking into it and I have come to the conclusion that she had to have been at least 3 months old when he got her which would put her at about 6-7 months. Now I’m wondering when she will start producing eggs.

so, I’ve been looking into it and I have come to the conclusion that she had to have been at least 3 months old when he got her which would put her at about 6-7 months. Now I’m wondering when she will start producing eggs.
If he has been feeding her a lot and keeping her at hotter temps... Then it would be sooner and a larger clutch. Some lay as early as 8-9 months. She should have a permanent lay bin now. I attached an image above for you. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Also here is another link for using just washed playsand as the substrate. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

If he has been feeding her a lot and keeping her at hotter temps... Then it would be sooner and a larger clutch. Some lay as early as 8-9 months. She should have a permanent lay bin now. I attached an image above for you. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Also here is another link for using just washed playsand as the substrate. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
Thank you for all the help, it’s very much appreciated. I’ll set her up with a lay bin while I’m still babysitting. I’ve told him to make an account on here and I’m sure he will. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom