Female veiled keeps changing colors! Is she still receptive?

Chameo555

This is my first post, and I'm happy to say there are no problems going on. Just curious if the turquoise spots on my adult female veiled chameleon are supposed to go away BEFORE she lays eggs.
Are there typical colors changes you all see in the days immediately before your chameleons lays her eggs?
Note: I am not trying to breed my chameleon, so if this question should be posted under another forum, please let me know. Thanks!

Yesterday she was a more brownish color, but today her pretty turquoise spots have come back. (see pics)
She is currently on her 4th clutch of eggs and has a big belly.
1st clutch of eggs was in 2018 before I got her.
2nd: Feb 2019 with 38 eggs
3rd: Sept 22, 2019 with 55 eggs
Before she laid her 3rd clutch 4 months ago, she was restless and roamed around for about a month with turquoise spots. Then she turned more brown and shortly after she laid eggs. Last time, she stopped eating(or chose to eat only 1 cricket every other day) and was very lazy basking all day. I thought she was going to lay eggs, but I was surprised that after about a week of not eating/eating light, she resumed her appetite and began wandering again. Then she did lay eggs.
She's doing the same thing this time. She has been wandering since 5 weeks ago. She wasn't barely eating 2wks ago and was happily basking all day. I thought maybe she'll lay eggs that week, but nope! She got her appetite back last week and continues to roam around. Yesterday she turned a more brown shade and I thought she was going to lay eggs soon, but now today she is back to turquoise spots and wandering. All other signs are healthy and happy.

What do you think?
0202202002.jpg

0203201127.jpg

Here's more info if needed:
species: Veiled chameleon
sex: female
time in my care: 1yr 3mos
handling: I handle my chameleon frequently(once a day or every other day), if she accepts the invitation to go onto my hand and climb around. I don't handle her longer than 15 minutes a day, and stop approaching if she sways, puffs, gapes, or hisses at me, which is rare.
food: I feed my chameleon a mix of crickets, superworms, and kale. Normally, she eats 6 crickets dusted with calcium powder or 5 superworms a day. When she's about to lay eggs, she chooses to eat every other day or 1-2 crickets a day max. The superworms aren't gutloaded. I gutload the crickets(from Petsmart) with oranges and kale. She loves to eats the newly budding shoots off of the Schefflera("umbrella") tree next to her cage.
supplements: ReptiCalcium with D3 (dusted on crickets)
watering: Dripper, drips every 4-5 seconds. I mist her and her cage and plants once a day for about 1 minute.
fecal description: Usually dark brown, solid creamy, oblong shape. White or white with yellowish tip urate. She has never been tested for parasites.
history: Healthy, active, eating, drinking, pooping regularly.
She has never been in contact with a male.
1st clutch of eggs in 2018 before I got her.
2nd: Feb 15, 2019 with 38 eggs
cage type: Zoo Med ReptiBreeze cage 16"x16"×30". I let her free roam most of the time. 90% of the time that she's free roaming, she climbs up and down the 5ft Schefflera("umbrella") tree next to her cage, while basking on the giant leaves in front of the window, or she's in the her cage perched on branches.
lighting: ExoTerra Reptile UVB150(13W) during the day. ExoTerra 50W Night heat lamp at night during the winter, and during a few hours of the day if it's colder. When it's over 70° outside, I put her cage outside so she can get natural sunlight for 1-2 hrs.
temperature: I don't have a thermometer. My chameleon has always seemed to do well with the basking lamp above her head, and she moves closer or further away as she feels. During the day, the house is 65-75°F, depending on the season. At night, the temp of my house is around 65°F in winter for a few months, 73 in summer, and between 68-73 other times.
humidity: I do not measure humidity, but I mist every day and live in the South(in US), so it's more humid naturally.
plants: 5ft Schefflera("umbrella") tree. In the cage I have a mix of real potted plants and some strands of fake leaves to bulk up her cage. I have a 1ft deep laying bin for her with a mix of sand and soil that hold consistency, hidden from passerbys where she has laid eggs previously.
placement: Her cage is placed on a 3ft stand in front of a window in the sunroom with other plants and nothing else. The sunroom connects to the living room, and people only walk by 6ft away if they go to/from the living room- not high traffic.
current problem: No problems. Just curious if the turquoise spots are supposed to go away BEFORE she lays eggs.

My little lady layed when she was receptive, but some go to gravid before laying. Some don’t show color at all, it really depends on the Cham. Do you have a lay bin?

My little lady layed when she was receptive, but some go to gravid before laying. Some don’t show color at all, it really depends on the Cham. Do you have a lay bin?
Thanks for the input! I guess you just never can tell with the colors. Yes, I have a lay bin. It's a 1ft deep mix of soil and sand, moist/clumpy enough to form a tunnel. It has some plants around it and is in a private space.

Thanks for the input! I guess you just never can tell with the colors. Yes, I have a lay bin. It's a 1ft deep mix of soil and sand, moist/clumpy enough to form a tunnel. It has some plants around it and is in a private space.
Perfect, wrap the bottom of the enclosure in a sheet and don’t let her see you dig!

This is my first post, and I'm happy to say there are no problems going on. Just curious if the turquoise spots on my adult female veiled chameleon are supposed to go away BEFORE she lays eggs.
Are there typical colors changes you all see in the days immediately before your chameleons lays her eggs?
Note: I am not trying to breed my chameleon, so if this question should be posted under another forum, please let me know. Thanks!

Yesterday she was a more brownish color, but today her pretty turquoise spots have come back. (see pics)
She is currently on her 4th clutch of eggs and has a big belly.
1st clutch of eggs was in 2018 before I got her.
2nd: Feb 2019 with 38 eggs
Before she laid her 3rd clutch 4 months ago, she was restless and roamed around for about a month with turquoise spots. Then she turned more brown and shortly after she laid eggs. Last time, she stopped eating(or chose to eat only 1 cricket every other day) and was very lazy basking all day. I thought she was going to lay eggs, but I was surprised that after about a week of not eating/eating light, she resumed her appetite and began wandering again. Then she did lay eggs.
She's doing the same thing this time. She has been wandering since 5 weeks ago. She wasn't barely eating 2wks ago and was happily basking all day. I thought maybe she'll lay eggs that week, but nope! She got her appetite back last week and continues to roam around. Yesterday she turned a more brown shade and I thought she was going to lay eggs soon, but now today she is back to turquoise spots and wandering. All other signs are healthy and happy.

What do you think?
View attachment 257770
View attachment 257771

Here's more info if needed:
species: Veiled chameleon
sex: female
time in my care: 1yr 3mos
handling: I handle my chameleon frequently(once a day or every other day), if she accepts the invitation to go onto my hand and climb around. I don't handle her longer than 15 minutes a day, and stop approaching if she sways, puffs, gapes, or hisses at me, which is rare.
food: I feed my chameleon a mix of crickets, superworms, and kale. Normally, she eats 6 crickets dusted with calcium powder or 5 superworms a day. When she's about to lay eggs, she chooses to eat every other day or 1-2 crickets a day max. The superworms aren't gutloaded. I gutload the crickets(from Petsmart) with oranges and kale. She loves to eats the newly budding shoots off of the Schefflera("umbrella") tree next to her cage. IMHO she should be fed every second day and if you want her to produce smaller clutches I would only feed her 5 crickets at most per feeding. They should be dusted lightly with a phos free calcium powder at most feedings, twice a month lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder lightly. You can gutload with dandelion greens, collards, endive, squash, carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red peppers, etc.
supplements: ReptiCalcium with D3 (dusted on crickets) see above.
watering: Dripper, drips every 4-5 seconds. I mist her and her cage and plants once a day for about 1 minute.
fecal description: Usually dark brown, solid creamy, oblong shape. White or white with yellowish tip urate. She has never been tested for parasites.
history: Healthy, active, eating, drinking, pooping regularly.
She has never been in contact with a male.
1st clutch of eggs in 2018 before I got her.
2nd: Feb 15, 2019 with 38 eggs
both those clutches are larger than I'd like to see.
cage type: Zoo Med ReptiBreeze cage 16"x16"×30". I let her free roam most of the time. 90% of the time that she's free roaming, she climbs up and down the 5ft Schefflera("umbrella") tree next to her cage, while basking on the giant leaves in front of the window, or she's in the her cage perched on branches.
lighting: ExoTerra Reptile UVB150(13W) during the day. ExoTerra 50W Night heat lamp at night during the winter, and during a few hours of the day if it's colder. When it's over 70° outside, I put her cage outside so she can get natural sunlight for 1-2 hrs. No heat is needed at night unless the temperature drops below 60F. For basking I use a regular household incandescent bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in the low to mid 80'sF and for uvbUVB use a reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light.
temperature: I don't have a thermometer. My chameleon has always seemed to do well with the basking lamp above her head, and she moves closer or further away as she feels. During the day, the house is 65-75°F, depending on the season. At night, the temp of my house is around 65°F in winter for a few months, 73 in summer, and between 68-73 other times. it's important to know the temperature.
humidity: I do not measure humidity, but I mist every day and live in the South(in US), so it's more humid naturally.
plants: 5ft Schefflera("umbrella") tree. In the cage I have a mix of real potted plants and some strands of fake leaves to bulk up her cage. I have a 1ft deep laying bin for her with a mix of sand and soil that hold consistency, hidden from passerbys where she has laid eggs previously.
placement: Her cage is placed on a 3ft stand in front of a window in the sunroom with other plants and nothing else. The sunroom connects to the living room, and people only walk by 6ft away if they go to/from the living room- not high traffic.
current problem: No problems. Just curious if the turquoise spots are supposed to go away BEFORE she lays eggs.

Regarding her colors...some change the colors and others don't.

Back
Top Bottom