Female veiled chameleon too thin?

puckarooo

Hi,
Can anybody tell me if my girl is too thin?
I’ve had her for about 4 months now and she is now 7 months old.
She is also currently gravid and will soon be laying her first clutch. She’s healthy and all but I would just like some advice on whether or not seeing all those shoulder bones and spine/back bones is normal or is it a sign she is underweight?

I feed her calcium dusted Dubia roaches, crickets and locusts and feed 5-7 a day. Is this enough/too much?

Thanks x

Attachments

• F40BCB19-75E6-4621-A156-47F6694C514A.jpeg
    F40BCB19-75E6-4621-A156-47F6694C514A.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 74
No she is not thin... she looks to be holding a bit of weight in her casque. She is showing her receptive gold colors. So follow the info below but do not reduce her until after she gets done laying. Feed her well the week after then start reducing her.

At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old. You will start by taking her to an every other day feeding schedule. Start dropping feeder amounts by 1 each week. When you are down to 3 feeders every other day stop reducing. Then at 9 months old take her to 3 days a week with 3 feeders.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

Back
Top Bottom