Female Veil 3 months old I am about to call FlCHAMS..

Kansascity

She isn’t acting as if she is is sick, but I wonder if I should go out and get supplies for her to lay eggs, I have not seen her digging (plus there are rocks surrounding the potted plants soil) and she eats very well thought at first she was still hungry so I just placed 2 more crickets in her cup. Just reminds me of restlessness just searching and looking as if there is something wrong. She has remained dark in color for a couple of days and has black running throughout her I wouldn’t say they are spots. Now she has decided to bask a bit on her gardenia tree. As I have stated eating and drinking just fine. Just wondering what you all think. I she to young to be doing the egg laying thing already? the temps in her habitat is now at 80f. Humidity is at 70%

DO wish more members would offer more feedback however! Because if I should be preparing for an unexpected clutch I need to get the proper supplies. More feedback would be appreciated however thank you fo responding to my question I real appreciate it.:)

If she is only 3 months old you do not need to worry about eggs. What are your temps and what lighting are you using? If you have only had her for a few days she may need just a little more time to settle in.

She isn’t acting as if she is is sick, but I wonder if I should go out and get supplies for her to lay eggs, I have not seen her digging (plus there are rocks surrounding the potted plants soil) and she eats very well thought at first she was still hungry so I just placed 2 more crickets in her cup. Just reminds me of restlessness just searching and looking as if there is something wrong. She has remained dark in color for a couple of days and has black running throughout her I wouldn’t say they are spots. Now she has decided to bask a bit on her gardenia tree. As I have stated eating and drinking just fine. Just wondering what you all think. I she to young to be doing the egg laying thing already? the temps in her habitat is now at 80f. Humidity is at 70%

3 months is pretty young so I doubt she's developing eggs. She may simply be wanting more space now that she's growing, or she feels too exposed to view. Can she see a lot of activity or other animals from her cage? If your humidity is not constantly 70% that's OK.

3 months is pretty young so I doubt she's developing eggs. She may simply be wanting more space now that she's growing, or she feels too exposed to view. Can she see a lot of activity or other animals from her cage? If your humidity is not constantly 70% that's OK.

No actually today was cage cleaning day and I moved her plants and vines around so she feels more secure. I did think of that but she seems fine now she is still basking. I just do not want my humidity to every drop below 60% it is very important to me to keep them as humidified as possible and temps are doing well, very steady from when I turn lights off at night and when they wake it has ben a constant 65f and then generally climbs into the 80’s after a couple of hours and stays steady throughout the day. Thanks a bunch for responding. :)

Like Juli said, you have several months before you need to worry about eggs. I use a 32-gallon garbage can filled about 14" deep with playsand. I cut a large screen 'window' on the top and on one side of the can. Be sure and place the window on the side (should be no larger than about 7"Hx4"W) close to a corner or wall so that she cannot see whats going on in the room, but still provide a little air flow. I also cut and screen two openings on the top. I place a dome light with a very low wattage bulb on one opening (25-40watt max) and place the lid on so that the other top screen window is away from the most traffic in the room she'll be in. I think a garbage can is a deathtrap if it's not properly ventilated, but you also need to be sure that she has 100% privacy so she will start to dig, so make sure she cannot see you through the windows. I add several branches and as much artificial vines as I can cram in there. This offers more cover and she will feel more secure or 'hidden' when she starts to investigate the bottom. I even go as far as to drill 2 'peep-holes' on the lid and cover them with something. I will periodically and CAREFULLY peer in to see if she is exploring. Be sure not to bump the can if you choose to do this. I also open the peep hole very slowly, so that keen chameleon vision doesn't see you. My peep-hole is no bigger than the diameter of a pencil. If she is prowling on the bottom, I leave her be and check through the peep-hole every 24 hours or so. If she sits inside on a branch and doesn't seem interested in exploring the bottom for more than 2-3 days, I take her out and continue to monitor her for signs of readiness. The biggest sign for my female Veileds, aside from looking like a bean bag, has always been ceasing to feed. That has always been my sure sign. I know this seems a little elaborate, but I tend to go overboard on my approaches. I just feel that egg binding is really dangerous, so I take no chances.:)

It may just be me but I keep montanes chameleons. They are known for needing lots more humidity than chameleons like panthers and veileds. Because all cages need a chance to completely dry out, my humidity for montanes will drop to 40%. You don't need to worry that your humidity is always as high as 60%. As long as you are misting a few times a day and offering a dripper, your veiled should be just fine.

Maybe you are like me - just a nervous cham mommy.:)

Back
Top Bottom