female panthers die without a male?

krikinit

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi in Kris. New the the forum and Chameleons. Looking to purchase in 6 months or so, just getting things together. I recently reached out to a dealer with some basic questions and said i had no preference to male or female, understanding they have certain requirements. He said "you want a male. Females die without a male." Is this true? I havent found anything that says this? Is he full of it?

Welcome to the forum. Good for you, doing your homework. To answer your question, yes he is full of it. Females have different requirements, as you stated, but will not die if they don't have a male.
I fully agree! You were lied to! Females have shorter lives in general but they can live for quite a few years with or without having been with a male!

Welcome to the Forum! Well awesome job doing your research! You will have a much better experience having the knowledge and your set up ready to go before you get your new baby! I would rethink getting one from that breeder...
We have site sponsors and some members like @Chameleon Mike and @Matt Vanilla Gorilla that are breeders as well. Read through the past threads to get an idea on the different breeders and typically people will post pics of their babies they got as well. It is a great way to get feedback on breeders and what you can expect from them and the quality of their babies. :)

Welcome to the Forum! Well awesome job doing your research! You will have a much better experience having the knowledge and your set up ready to go before you get your new baby! I would rethink getting one from that breeder...
We have site sponsors and some members like @Chameleon Mike and @Matt Vanilla Gorilla that are breeders as well. Read through the past threads to get an idea on the different breeders and typically people will post pics of their babies they got as well. It is a great way to get feedback on breeders and what you can expect from them and the quality of their babies. :)

Very kind, thank you.

Males are the ones that show all the cool coloring. Keep that in mind if you're looking for a Wow factor. Hate for you to buy a female Panther expecting the colors of the rainbow only not to get them.

Thank you very kindly!

Male panthers show more color, let me tell you, my female panthers are wonderful and full of personality & character, not as aggressive as my males and easy to tame for me, so don't shy away from getting a female, if you want one, they just require a little more attention eg the egg laying bin. I agree with above posts, get a cham from a breeder who will help you get set up correctly. There are a few mentioned in above posts!!

Last edited:
Male panthers show more color, let me tell you, my female panthers are wonderful and full of personality & character, not as aggressive as my males and easy to tame for me, so don't shy away from getting a female, if you want one, they just require a little more attention eg the egg laying bin. I agree with above posts, get a cham from a breeder who will help you get set up correctly. There are a few mentioned in above posts!!
I totally agree! Some of my females are so sweet! They surely have beauty of their own!

Thank you all for your kind replies. So it was the Reptile Room in California who I had asked. Ill definitely stay away. I found that females of most species of "critters" tend to be the nicer. Im no stranger to animal husbandry. Im a general class falconer and have flown many raptors over the years. Looking forward to getting in to chams. I will be in contact with the breeders here in the next few weeks after i get my enclosure up and running. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom