Female panther worrying me

Werwolf83

Purchased my son a female panther for Christmas. She is in the typical chameleon screen kit. Doing feedings like i should. Last week she was roaming the bottom of the cage. I was like that’s odd. She never did it before. I now realize she was looking for a place to lay eggs. Well in the past week she now is in a branch very lazy doesn’t really move all day. I set up a bucket for her to lay her eggs in. She hasn’t eaten in days very lethargic. I noticed this black spot yesterday. Is it too late? Will she now bind the eggs and not lay them?

The one pic is last night the other is this morning where it is much worse. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 71C49EAA-0267-4B6B-96F3-E5B56C7102B5.jpeg
    71C49EAA-0267-4B6B-96F3-E5B56C7102B5.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 99
  • D831BB49-F92B-48CD-8EDE-329292961893.jpeg
    D831BB49-F92B-48CD-8EDE-329292961893.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 85
Here is a link to a blog about lay bins. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
Read through that and make any adjustments to your lay bin. Typically Play sand is used in a moistened state so that it holds a tunnel for them to dig. And they need a minimum of a 12X12X12 lay bin.
I would also fill out this form so your husbandry can be double checked. When you say typical screen kit this is where I am concerned as the stuff that is sold in this kit is not always optimal for Chameleons.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I would consider a vet if you have set up the lay bin correctly and it has been this long with her sitting with eggs. 2 weeks is a long time from what I have read.

Yea I have the same question about my female panther cause we thought she was a boy at first but turned out it’s a girl and she kept going to the bottom of the cage for 2 days so the 3rd day I put in a large laying bin full of moist dirt (I looked up how wet it had to be) and ever since I added the box she wont go any where near it she stays to the top but today she started to lay on the edge of it so I was like oh ok maybe she’s gunna lay or something but she’s been in that same spot for 4 hrs she’s eating normally tho and drinking fine

Yea I have the same question about my female panther cause we thought she was a boy at first but turned out it’s a girl and she kept going to the bottom of the cage for 2 days so the 3rd day I put in a large laying bin full of moist dirt (I looked up how wet it had to be) and ever since I added the box she wont go any where near it she stays to the top but today she started to lay on the edge of it so I was like oh ok maybe she’s gunna lay or something but she’s been in that same spot for 4 hrs she’s eating normally tho and drinking fine
Please post your own thread on this otherwise it can get confusing when we are giving feedback to more then one person. Please see what I wrote to the original poster with the link. The soil has to be the right type and it has to hold a tunnel or she will either not try at all or tire herself out trying... You can also use the search function on the forum to search lay bin etc to pull information faster. :)

I would consider a vet if you have set up the lay bin correctly and it has been this long with her sitting with eggs. 2 weeks is a long time from what I have read.

That’s what I thought. I was concerned with that black spot. She hasn’t eaten in days. Hopefully she lays them. Wish I got a male and didn’t have to deal with this.

Here is a link to a blog about lay bins. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
Read through that and make any adjustments to your lay bin. Typically Play sand is used in a moistened state so that it holds a tunnel for them to dig. And they need a minimum of a 12X12X12 lay bin.
I would also fill out this form so your husbandry can be double checked. When you say typical screen kit this is where I am concerned as the stuff that is sold in this kit is not always optimal for Chameleons.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Have you ever seen anything like that black spot? What could that be?

That’s what I thought. I was concerned with that black spot. She hasn’t eaten in days. Hopefully she lays them. Wish I got a male and didn’t have to deal with this.
Are you using play sand, Is it moist enough to hold a tunnel (have you dug in it), is her bin at least 12X12X12? If anything is off she will have issues. I have tagged Matt in the post about the black spot. I am not as familiar with females and all the issues that come with them laying eggs. I would read through that link I gave you because when their husbandry is spot on they are much healthier and have smaller clutches which takes less out of them. From everything I have read it is always a risk with females but you can minimize the risk with proper care.

This is a link to laybin setup. I do t know who made it exactly but it is a member here.

The black band is concerning and it could be a bruise or a problem with the eggs being in there too long. You may need to dig a starter hole for her to see what to do. I have heard people with success doing that.

This is a link to laybin setup. I do t know who made it exactly but it is a member here.

The black band is concerning and it could be a bruise or a problem with the eggs being in there too long. You may need to dig a starter hole for her to see what to do. I have heard people with success doing that.

That’s exactly what i did. Hopefully she goes into it. Appreciate all the help

Trust me. I wish I would have.

Could you post pictures of the whole enclosure please? Looks like it needs some improving, if we're being honest.

Also, you mention you are using the chameleon kit, which is notoriously a bad idea. Are you using the lights that came with it? If so, you need to get a different UVB bulb immediately

Back
Top Bottom