Female panther not moving much

I have a female panther named spoon that I’m guessing is around 8ish months (pet store didn’t know when I bought her) I’ve had her for about 4 months now and she’s usually really active and climbing all around her cage but the last 3 days she’s stayed on the same branch under her basking light. She still eats/drinks normally. She did have a little sneeze going on so I took her to the vet and he said he didn’t see anythjng wrong but would put her on an antibiotic anyway to just be safe and I’ve given her 3 shots so far. So I’m wondering if that could be why she’s less active? Or she hasn’t shed for about 2 months so she may be getting ready to? Sorry if this is something I should I know I’d just like to be safe than sorry.

Attachments

• A9C85AC9-6FCF-49A7-A1A2-198EFFDA00AC.jpeg
    A9C85AC9-6FCF-49A7-A1A2-198EFFDA00AC.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 85B5220F-76ED-48FA-82A5-99690368331C.jpeg
    85B5220F-76ED-48FA-82A5-99690368331C.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 94
I have a female panther named spoon that I’m guessing is around 8ish months (pet store didn’t know when I bought her) I’ve had her for about 4 months now and she’s usually really active and climbing all around her cage but the last 3 days she’s stayed on the same branch under her basking light. She still eats/drinks normally. She did have a little sneeze going on so I took her to the vet and he said he didn’t see anythjng wrong but would put her on an antibiotic anyway to just be safe and I’ve given her 3 shots so far. So I’m wondering if that could be why she’s less active? Or she hasn’t shed for about 2 months so she may be getting ready to? Sorry if this is something I should I know I’d just like to be safe than sorry. she may have a bunch of eggs even tho there is no male she can still produce eggs. If you don’t already I would recommend putting a lay bin in her cage. Other than that she looks really healthy and the cage looks really good!!

In my experience, the antibiotic shots kill off some of the gut bacteria. Making digestion difficult.
And making the animal sluggish.

I agree. The use of antibiotics should really only be to treat an infection, and your vet hasn't found anything wrong so I would just do w/o medicating her until there is an actual reason to medicate her. She does also look gravid. Like Kinyonga said, she'll need a proper egg laying bin in a secluded spot in her cage where she can feel safe and secure while she's digging her tunnel and laying the eggs or else she won't lay them and could become egg bound.

Also the sneezing could be her trying to expel salts from her nose. She shouldn't do this often, though. And a frequent sound of sneezing or popping sounds coming from her mouth could indicate an RI but this doesn't appear to be the case here. She hasn't shed in a couple of months and might just be getting ready to shed and is why she's slowing her activity down. You might even see her go w/o eating the day before she breaks the shed. This isn't something you should worry about, and is common thing that chameleons in the shed process do.

I would also say based on the pic of her cage, it's perfect w/ a good amount of live plants and cover, however, you might want to add some more branches in the middle for her.

Please fill this form out though so we can dive deeper into her care. Females are a bit more difficult to keep than males due to the egg laying process, but are so much fun to keep when you have everything right for her in her habitat. They can also be a nightmare once the health issues start occurring if you don't have your husbandry on point so lets just take a look at that, overall while we're here :)

Do you have an egglaying bin in her cage?
It could be the antibiotics but she might be producing eggs too.
I do you can barley see in in the picture of the cage because it is dark. She has been getting more blue colors lately but she hasn’t tried going down to the bottom of the cage yet.

I agree. The use of antibiotics should really only be to treat an infection, and your vet hasn't found anything wrong so I would just do w/o medicating her until there is an actual reason to medicate her. She does also look gravid. Like Kinyonga said, she'll need a proper egg laying bin in a secluded spot in her cage where she can feel safe and secure while she's digging her tunnel and laying the eggs or else she won't lay them and could become egg bound.

Also the sneezing could be her trying to expel salts from her nose. She shouldn't do this often, though. And a frequent sound of sneezing or popping sounds coming from her mouth could indicate an RI but this doesn't appear to be the case here. She hasn't shed in a couple of months and might just be getting ready to shed and is why she's slowing her activity down. You might even see her go w/o eating the day before she breaks the shed. This isn't something you should worry about, and is common thing that chameleons in the shed process do.

I would also say based on the pic of her cage, it's perfect w/ a good amount of live plants and cover, however, you might want to add some more branches in the middle for her.

Please fill this form out though so we can dive deeper into her care. Females are a bit more difficult to keep than males due to the egg laying process, but are so much fun to keep when you have everything right for her in her habitat. They can also be a nightmare once the health issues start occurring if you don't have your husbandry on point so lets just take a look at that, overall while we're here :)
So would it be a good idea to just finish off the antibiotic because she’s started or just stop altogether? She doesn’t do the little sneeze often it’s kind of like a pfft out of her nose likes she’s laughing at bad joke, but she does it once every other day or so. I do plan on adding a few more branches to the middle she does have some they’re just a little hidden by all the plants. I was wondering if she was gravid but she hasn’t gotten really dark yet but I’ll add another picture of her a little darker. Also I don’t see a form of any kind in your reply?

So would it be a good idea to just finish off the antibiotic because she’s started or just stop altogether? She doesn’t do the little sneeze often it’s kind of like a pfft out of her nose likes she’s laughing at bad joke, but she does it once every other day or so. I do plan on adding a few more branches to the middle she does have some they’re just a little hidden by all the plants. I was wondering if she was gravid but she hasn’t gotten really dark yet but I’ll add another picture of her a little darker. Also I don’t see a form of any kind in your reply?
Its important to continue the antibiotic treatment until the end. Or whatever it is that your vet is attempting to eradicate can grow immunity.
Hopefully your vet knows what they're doing.
I suggest keeping the animal hydrated and feed her as long as she'll eat.
Food in is strength after all.

Its important to continue the antibiotic treatment until the end. Or whatever it is that your vet is attempting to eradicate can grow immunity.
Hopefully your vet knows what they're doing.
I suggest keeping the animal hydrated and feed her as long as she'll eat.
Food in is strength after all.
Okay I’ll just finish it up she only has two more now. I’ve seen her drinking normally and she’ll eat as much as I give her. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom