Female Panther Not Laying Properly

EverettPanthers

My female panther chameleon is refusing to lay her eggs properly. She only dug a hole once and didn't lay the eggs in the hole, instead she had been popping one out every few days at random spots and I would fine them on the top of the soil. She did the same thing to the previous owner during her first clutch, just laid them on the top of the soil every couple days, but she was in a reptile store and I thought there was just too much commotion for her to settle and comfortably lay them in privacy. Only a few of those she laid while with me have survived, most dried out before I found them and a couple molded after a little while. After she did that with about a dozen eggs she looked like she didn't have any left in her belly so I thought she was all done, but it's been a couple weeks and it looks like more eggs are showing. I have the right temps and humidity, spray water at least 3 times a day, proper and new uvb light, good laying medium...Just can't figure out what her problem is. I can't tell if she is just a bad egg layer or if she could be egg bound. She isn't showing any signs of being weak or lethargic, still moves around in her enclose and has a good apatite(eats dubia roaches, gut-loaded crickets, and wax works, occasional horn worms as well).

What supplements have been used and how often for each? What's the basking temperature? What do you feed/gutload the insects with? Does she have a UVB light? Describe the egglaying container and substrate in it.

As I said in my post, she has a brand new uvb light. I used organic top soil for the medium, 10" deep, about the same in diameter. Very light dusting of no D3 calcium every day while gravid, alternating multi-vitamin and D3 every other week. Gut load crickets with a variety of greens, fruit, potatoes or carrots occasional. She hardly eats the crickets, though. I offer her wax worms, butter worms, crickets, and roaches, but she pretty much only eats the roaches, I give them the same stuff I give my crickets. Basking temp is about 80 degrees.

My females wouldnt ever lay in a smaller laying bin. I would imagine it could be the same here. I eventually gave up on the in-cage laying bins and got a big trash can for her to lay in. For substrate I used 50% eco earth and 50% play sand and never had an issue since.

Here is a timelapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY7XyX8sFg

As you can see from the video, she still dug all the way to the bottom of the bin.

I tried that, left her in my laundry hamper for 24 hours with nothing but the soil and all she did was try to climb the smooth plastic walls, no signs of digging at all. After the first day I felt bad for her and gave her a single stick to climb on and to sleep on, waited another 2 days and still not sign of digging what so ever. All of this I tried after I saw her trying to dig in her enclosure for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom