Female panther chameleon hasn’t moved in 3 days, may be laying eggs? Looked like she was turning dark black/ hot pink and being moody…

DelaneyPhen93

Female panther chameleon hasn’t moved in 3 days, may be laying eggs? Looked like she was turning dark black/ hot pink and being moody… she looks bloated and stays a dark color. Ate one cricket today but haven’t noticed her eating or drinking much last 3 days
image.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

In your other thread, there are questions that you didn't answer...if you don't answer the questions, it's hard for us to help you.

What lights do you have on her? Why is the cage looking reddish?
What's the basking temperature?
What UVB light domyounhave on her?
How old is she?
Does she have a lay bin?

Last edited:
Female panther chameleon hasn’t moved in 3 days, may be laying eggs? Looked like she was turning dark black/ hot pink and being moody… she looks bloated and stays a dark color. Ate one cricket today but haven’t noticed her eating or drinking much last 3 daysView attachment 323262
I
Welcome to the forum!

In your other thread, there are questions that you didn't answer...if you don't answer the questions, it's hard for us to help you.

What lights do you have on her? Why is the cage looking reddish?
What's the basking temperature?
What UVB light domyounhave on her?
How old is she?
Does she have a lay bin?
i have a 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb and the red light is her heat bulb, which is a 100w basking bulb. The temp in her cage right now is 66.7… the uvb light is 10.0 w. She’s (roughly) 2 years old? I got her at Petco so hard to say for sure… she has a big water dish that has soil in it which sometimes she uses for a laying bin. But honestly she lays them all over her cage and it’s never been a problem… I’ve seen her laying them while she’s on a branch and she’ll go to the bottom of her cage and lay them there too. Just sprayed her with warm water to hopefully raise the temp. Her diet consists MOSTLY on live crickets, although every once in awhile I’ll hand feed her waxworms. I usually put about 5 large crickets in there daily, and she eats what she wants of them. I don’t put in any new crickets until she eats what’s in there.

I

i have a 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb and the red light is her heat bulb, which is a 100w basking bulb. The temp in her cage right now is 66.7… the uvb light is 10.0 w. She’s (roughly) 2 years old? I got her at Petco so hard to say for sure… she has a big water dish that has soil in it which sometimes she uses for a laying bin. But honestly she lays them all over her cage and it’s never been a problem… I’ve seen her laying them while she’s on a branch and she’ll go to the bottom of her cage and lay them there too. Just sprayed her with warm water to hopefully raise the temp. Her diet consists MOSTLY on live crickets, although every once in awhile I’ll hand feed her waxworms. I usually put about 5 large crickets in there daily, and she eats what she wants of them. I don’t put in any new crickets until she eats what’s in there.
She doesn’t like being misted… when I mist her with warm water she does this weird head twitch thing. Although I still mist her at least once a day. Just now when I put her water dropper right next to her (because she won’t move), she started opening and closing her mouth. She’s very dark… and now she has her head raised :(

She doesn’t like being misted… when I mist her with warm water she does this weird head twitch thing. Although I still mist her at least once a day. Just now when I put her water dropper right next to her (because she won’t move), she started opening and closing her mouth. She’s very dark… and now she has her head raised :(
She may just be trying to get a drink of water… because this is the first time I’ve seen her raise it

And I should also add that she has been keeping her right eye closed most of the time… I coat her crickets in Repashy super food. And her right eye is a little sunken

You said..."i have a 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb and the red light is her heat bulb, which is a 100w basking bulb. The temp in her cage right now is 66.7… the uvb light is 10.0 w"...it's recommended hat you only use white lights on chameleon cages. 66.7 is too cool for daytime cage temperature. Basking should be 80F.

You said..."she has a big water dish that has soil in it which sometimes she uses for a laying bin"... can you post photos of it and her whole cage including the lights please? And of her without the red light on her so I can see all of her from the side please?

You said..."But honestly she lays them all over her cage and it’s never been a problem… I’ve seen her laying them while she’s on a branch and she’ll go to the bottom of her cage and lay them there too"...it is a problem...she should be laying them all in the bin in one sitting and covering them all up. Scattering them all over he cage usually leads to eggbinding and death.

You said... Just sprayed her with warm water to hopefully raise the temp"...warm water may feel hot to them. Water should be cage/room temperature.

You said..."Her diet consists MOSTLY on live crickets, although every once in awhile I’ll hand feed her waxworms. I usually put about 5 large crickets in there daily, and she eats what she wants of them. I don’t put in any new crickets until she eats what’s in there"...so do you dust the crickets lightly with the proper supplements (phos free calcium lightly at all feedings but one a week....phos free calcium/D3 alternated with a vitamin powder with no D3 but with a prEformed source of vitamin A lightly)?
Do you feed/gutload the crickets well before feeding them to her?

What color are her urates...white or orange or ?

She hasn’t had a bowl movement since she’s been sitting there for 3 days… but her urinates have been pretty white. I gutload the crickets with carrots covered in a powder with vitamins. Will post a picture in a minute

White urates indicate good hydration.

What powdered vitamins are you dusting the carrots with?
I recommend that you improve your feeding/gutloading of the insects. Greens and veggies such as dandelions, kale, collards, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, endive, escarole, etc can be used to feed/gutload insects such as crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms.

White urates indicate good hydration.

What powdered vitamins are you dusting the carrots with?
I recommend that you improve your feeding/gutloading of the insects. Greens and veggies such as dandelions, kale, collards, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, endive, escarole, etc can be used to feed/gutload insects such as crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms.
I would have to look

In this thread back in March you were asked to answer the husbandry questions....you didn't.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...am-really-scared-she-has-broken-limbs.186670/

In his thread, in March, you were asked about the basking temperature and more...you didn't reply...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-chameleon-stressed.186716/

If you had answered the questions and continued the conversation and made any corrections we might have suggested...it's likely that your chameleon wouldn't be in this situation now...because you would have known what needed to be changed. Your cage would have been at the right tomperature so she might have digested her food well enough to poop. (If she's too cold, she can't digest her food.) She would have had a proper light for basking....(we would have recommended a regular household incandescent non-LED bulb for that). We might have known there was an issue with the egglaying.

In THIS thread, you're still not answering the questions well enough....and you haven't posted good photos of her so we can see all of her to determine her health. Or of the lay bin.
I also wonder why you dust the carrots instead if the insects with the vitamin powder and do you use a phos free calcium powder in the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon?

You said..."She hasn’t had a bowl movement since she’s been sitting there for 3 days… but her urinates have been pretty white. I gutload the crickets with carrots covered in a powder with vitamins. Will post a picture in a minute"...I explained about the possible reason for the lack of pooping. Still waiting for clear photos of her showing all of her from the side...be of the laybin.

Sorry to be a little harsh about this but...I'm concerned about your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom