Female or Male Panther Cham?

Zakiyah

IMG_6184.jpeg
IMG_6181.jpeg
Female or male Panther Chameleon? I bought (him/her) in a reptile show, just hatched on 12/22 and the breeder said it was a male but the more I research, the more I feel like its a female…

Hard to tell 100% by the pictures but from what I can see I’d guess female. I’ve never hatched babies myself and I’m no expert. Females are great for pets, I have a buddy who has two females and he loves them. The older the Cham gets the more you will be able to tell. Either way the husbandry at this age will be the same, glad you are here

Congrats! 🎊🎉 I hope you have a great time with your cham. If you need any help just holler. I agree with others and would say you got a little girl. What’s her name? She is sooo cute 🥰.
Here are some links if you need help with husbandry: Chameleon Academy ~ YouTube ~ Neptune The Chameleon ~ YouTube
Here are some links for food and supplies: Food ~ Food as well ~ Leap Supplies ~ Arcadia
And here is a link for some discounts: Neptune the Chameleon Discount
Enjoy your new chameleon! (I don’t know if your new but if you are I hope this helps) 😊

Hard to tell 100% by the pictures but from what I can see I’d guess female. I’ve never hatched babies myself and I’m no expert. Females are great for pets, I have a buddy who has two females and he loves them. The older the Cham gets the more you will be able to tell. Either way the husbandry at this age will be the same, glad you are here
im new to this, and a little afraid with all the research I’ve done about females and their eggs, but you gotta love what you have no matter what! ❤️

Congrats! 🎊🎉 I hope you have a great time with your cham. If you need any help just holler. I agree with others and would say you got a little girl. What’s her name? She is sooo cute 🥰.
Here are some links if you need help with husbandry: Chameleon Academy ~ YouTube ~ Neptune The Chameleon ~ YouTube
Here are some links for food and supplies: Food ~ Food as well ~ Leap Supplies ~ Arcadia
And here is a link for some discounts: Neptune the Chameleon Discount
Enjoy your new chameleon! (I don’t know if your new but if you are I hope this helps) 😊
Thank you! I havent decided yet since just a couple days ago, after all the research I did, I found out It might b a female. I might emd up naming her shemeley or sheleon lol Im not good in names. I’m definitely new to this! Thank you so much for the links.

What a cutie! 🤗 Girl gets my vote too. She’s quite young to have been sent out to a new home, so please…if you have any questions or just want to double check that you’ve got everything 100%, we’re all here for you. :)
Thank you! And yes I agree too, honestly I didnt know nothing about how difficult it was. At the Reptile Show, the guy said, after they spray just spray it and the cage 5 times a week. Made it sound so simple until I researched a lot, with the help of the chameleon academy. I’m having a hard time with the fruit flies not dying into the water it drips down, and with the dripper either going too fast or too slow to the point it stops so if you have any advise on that, Im all ears!

im new to this, and a little afraid with all the research I’ve done about females and their eggs, but you gotta love what you have no matter what! ❤️
First off, welcome to you and your sweet girl!!! Does she have a name yet? Secondly, DONT BE AFRAID! This is the best place around for help, support, questions and even just chatting are sharing about our chams. I don’t have a female, but I’ve seen so many posts here about new keepers being nervous about it. There are so many kind and experienced keepers here willing to help you and walk you through any issues you may have. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! And most importantly, stick around and share updates and pictures as your little sweetie grows!

Thank you! And yes I agree too, honestly I didnt know nothing about how difficult it was. At the Reptile Show, the guy said, after they spray just spray it and the cage 5 times a week. Made it sound so simple until I researched a lot, with the help of the chameleon academy. I’m having a hard time with the fruit flies not dying into the water it drips down, and with the dripper either going too fast or too slow to the point it stops so if you have any advise on that, Im all ears!
A good way to help keep the fruit flies in one area is to place a piece of mashed banana where you want them to stay. They won’t venture too far from that food source. I had the same issue with using a dripper and don’t even bother with one now. I have a Mist King which is worth its weight in gold to me. Whether with automatic or hand misting/spraying, you want to do it for a full two minutes at least twice a day - right before lights go on and off. If you need more frequently, you can mist for one minute mid day (or use the dripper for 15-20 minutes). If you do use the dripper, have it dripping onto/ into a plant, like a pothos. Get a couple of them and move them so one doesn’t get so overly watered. If you are able to achieve a consistent night time temperature drop below at least 68-70, I would advise using a fogger for a few hours at night to boost humidity as high as possible. This simulates the hydration chameleons get in the wild from night time fog. Since many chameleons are secretive about drinking, look to the color of urates. White or with a small yellow on one end is perfect. Dark or orange is dehydrated.
While your little cutie patootie is a long way from producing eggs, there is a blog that goes over everything. I wrote it primarily for veileds, but I have done the same for my little panther girl and she’s 2 1/2 and never laid any eggs. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/

First off, welcome to you and your sweet girl!!! Does she have a name yet? Secondly, DONT BE AFRAID! This is the best place around for help, support, questions and even just chatting are sharing about our chams. I don’t have a female, but I’ve seen so many posts here about new keepers being nervous about it. There are so many kind and experienced keepers here willing to help you and walk you through any issues you may have. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! And most importantly, stick around and share updates and pictures as your little sweetie grows!
Thank you 🙏, Im so glad there are people out there like you to support us new parents! I greatly appreciated. I’m still deciding, sometimes they do something that just makes it their name.

A good way to help keep the fruit flies in one area is to place a piece of mashed banana where you want them to stay. They won’t venture too far from that food source. I had the same issue with using a dripper and don’t even bother with one now. I have a Mist King which is worth its weight in gold to me. Whether with automatic or hand misting/spraying, you want to do it for a full two minutes at least twice a day - right before lights go on and off. If you need more frequently, you can mist for one minute mid day (or use the dripper for 15-20 minutes). If you do use the dripper, have it dripping onto/ into a plant, like a pothos. Get a couple of them and move them so one doesn’t get so overly watered. If you are able to achieve a consistent night time temperature drop below at least 68-70, I would advise using a fogger for a few hours at night to boost humidity as high as possible. This simulates the hydration chameleons get in the wild from night time fog. Since many chameleons are secretive about drinking, look to the color of urates. White or with a small yellow on one end is perfect. Dark or orange is dehydrated.
While your little cutie patootie is a long way from producing eggs, there is a blog that goes over everything. I wrote it primarily for veileds, but I have done the same for my little panther girl and she’s 2 1/2 and never laid any eggs. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
Wow she is gorgeous!. Thank you so much for all the information. I tried getting an automatic mister but water was going everywhere so I just ordered the mist-king, some days she does seem to poop more orange than white but they are not very soft. I also just got more live plants, water seems to stay better on them. Do you know if I should start feeding her worms? I’m trying to breed some bean beetles too.

Wow she is gorgeous!. Thank you so much for all the information. I tried getting an automatic mister but water was going everywhere so I just ordered the mist-king, some days she does seem to poop more orange than white but they are not very soft. I also just got more live plants, water seems to stay better on them. Do you know if I should start feeding her worms? I’m trying to breed some bean beetles too.
Yes, live plants are so much better than artificial. Even though panthers don’t eat their plants like veileds, having all safe live plants is always best. They are excellent for maintaining humidity and helping take care of any extra water. She’s so tiny that I’m not sure you’d be able to get small enough worms. Hornworms grow massive literally overnight. Superworms aren’t usually available that tiny. Silkworms are fantastic and often you can get itty bitty ones or even get some eggs and chow and try hatching your own. Mealworms aren’t recommended as regular staple feeders. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms, etc) are often available in small. Wax worms are fatty treats, that might be small enough…not sure on that. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big.

Back
Top Bottom