Female Laying Eggs

Emily K

Hi everyone, I am writing this post because I am a new chameleon owner.
A little about Cleo: she is about 10 months old now, she is a veiled species, I feed her crickets coated in calcium, I fully mist the cage about 3 times a day, I have vines and a living potted plant, and I have a timed lighting set up with two bulbs (ones the daylight blue, the other is the basking light) I never handle her. Ever. The only time I did was twice when she was a baby. She has been pretty healthy and over all I think pretty content so far.
She lost her appetite a couple days ago, and I noticed she looked rounder in her tummy. Just yesterday in the morning she looked neutral brown, eyes sunken a little so I fed her (thought she was hungry). Later around 3pm I check and she was digging in the potted plant I had in her enclosure. I thought oh no.. leave her alone, let her do her thing. So a couple hours later I checked and she was pale blue and face down in the plant. I was worried and looked for movement, none, then I nudged her and still no movement, and then I lightly stroked her side and suddenly a burst of breath came out of her and she got up and out of the pot. So, I was freaking out and set her up a nesting pot.
Here's what I used:
A large 2-3 gallon pot
Filled half way
Mix: 3 cups of soil, 6+ cups of vermiculite, and one block of cocoa core, I moistened the mixture and put in her cage. I moved her whole enclosure, (lights and all) to the bath tub, and I keep the shower curtain closed for her privacy.
I woke up to her digging this morning. At around 12pm I saw her buried in the dirt again, but she was green with black stripes. Fearful or her suffocating, I got her out of the dirt (mistake on my part).
She was mad at me probably bc I took her out of her hard morning work but I was scared of her suffocating.
So, she dug back down again, and her face was in the dirt. I let her be, I was really quiet when checking on her. Now she is turned around and her butt rather than face is in the dirt and I am just praying she has success and lays all of her eggs with no problems.
I hope that this clears up any other possible questions on what to expect or do when a female is ready to lay eggs.
I did not expect her to bury her face, but I think it is normal? I am also open to any suggestions or thoughts! Thanks.

Let her be...do not let her see you watching her while she is digging. If she's butt down in the hole she is hopefully laying her eggs. It may take an hour or it may take all night. Her lights can stay on their regular schedule. When she is don't laying the eggs, she should fill the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty and tired.

If it doesn't go this way post again to let us know.

After she has finished filling the hole and is back up in the branches, I would dig the eggs up...for two reasons...to make sure she did lay eggs and to see how many she laid. Let us know how many she laid or if she didn't lay any. Both of these are important.

For future reference...in the breeding thread you said...
Hi yes, I actually have a big pot of soil I mixed up, it's a mix of clean gardening dirt, cocoa core and a lot of v

Hi, ya I have a big pot about half way full of vermiculite, soil and cocoa core. I just checked on her and she turned around so her face is out in the open now, I figured the mix I have is pretty breathable, so I just am hoping she has success, I will update !

Please don't use vermiculite for an egglaying bin. The best substrate IMHO is washed play sand produced by King's.

For future reference...in the breeding thread you said...

Please don't use vermiculite for an egglaying bin. The best substrate IMHO is washed play sand produced by King's.
Thank you for all of your input! Is the vermiculite dangerous to her?

Hi everyone, I am writing this post because I am a new chameleon owner.
A little about Cleo: she is about 10 months old now, she is a veiled species, I feed her crickets coated in calcium, I fully mist the cage about 3 times a day, I have vines and a living potted plant, and I have a timed lighting set up with two bulbs (ones the daylight blue, the other is the basking light) I never handle her. Ever. The only time I did was twice when she was a baby. She has been pretty healthy and over all I think pretty content so far.
She lost her appetite a couple days ago, and I noticed she looked rounder in her tummy. Just yesterday in the morning she looked neutral brown, eyes sunken a little so I fed her (thought she was hungry). Later around 3pm I check and she was digging in the potted plant I had in her enclosure. I thought oh no.. leave her alone, let her do her thing. So a couple hours later I checked and she was pale blue and face down in the plant. I was worried and looked for movement, none, then I nudged her and still no movement, and then I lightly stroked her side and suddenly a burst of breath came out of her and she got up and out of the pot. So, I was freaking out and set her up a nesting pot.
Here's what I used:
A large 2-3 gallon pot
Filled half way
Mix: 3 cups of soil, 6+ cups of vermiculite, and one block of cocoa core, I moistened the mixture and put in her cage. I moved her whole enclosure, (lights and all) to the bath tub, and I keep the shower curtain closed for her privacy.
I woke up to her digging this morning. At around 12pm I saw her buried in the dirt again, but she was green with black stripes. Fearful or her suffocating, I got her out of the dirt (mistake on my part).
She was mad at me probably bc I took her out of her hard morning work but I was scared of her suffocating.
So, she dug back down again, and her face was in the dirt. I let her be, I was really quiet when checking on her. Now she is turned around and her butt rather than face is in the dirt and I am just praying she has success and lays all of her eggs with no problems.
I hope that this clears up any other possible questions on what to expect or do when a female is ready to lay eggs.
I did not expect her to bury her face, but I think it is normal? I am also open to any suggestions or thoughts! Thanks.
She laid 22 eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_155613.jpg
    IMG_20201022_155613.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 118
Hello! Are those fake plants? If so, they will need to be taken out. Veilds can eat plants, and I wouldn't risk having it. Also, what is your UVB lighting? is it a compact bulb or a linear?

I was thinking of treating her to some mealworms, she currently has about 10 crickets but she isn't showing interest.

I have a real potted plant that she eats from, quite often! She just drinks from those faux vines. The UVB is compact I believe.

I hope she laid all her eggs. If he isn't eating or seems lethargic or sits low in the cage then post again and get her to a good chameleon vet.

Regarding the UVB light...its recommended that you use the long linear reptisun 5.0.

Regarding fake plants...they are a big risk IMHO.

Mealworms are not a good choice for feeders...silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, roaches are good in addition to the crickets.

I hope she laid all her eggs. If he isn't eating or seems lethargic or sits low in the cage then post again and get her to a good chameleon vet.

Regarding the UVB light...its recommended that you use the long linear reptisun 5.0.

Regarding fake plants...they are a big risk IMHO.

Mealworms are not a good choice for feeders...silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, roaches are good in addition to the crickets.
Okay, I will keep it posted if I notice she goes down to the bottom quite often. She has been lethargic these past 2 days but has been hanging out in the upper part.
I will happily switch to some real vines, which do you recommend that are good and low maintenance?
I will also order the linear 5.0 uvb bulb you recommended.
Never ended up getting the mealworms. Noted to stick with the horn worm (she likes those)
Thanks again for your time in responding.

Okay, I will keep it posted if I notice she goes down to the bottom quite often. She has been lethargic these past 2 days but has been hanging out in the upper part.
I will happily switch to some real vines, which do you recommend that are good and low maintenance?
I will also order the linear 5.0 uvb bulb you recommended.
Never ended up getting the mealworms. Noted to stick with the horn worm (she likes those)
Thanks again for your time in responding.
Do you think I should put the laying bin back in in case she has not finished laying all of her eggs?

Pothos is a favorite for veileds and other chams. Philodendron is very similar and can be used too. Both grow easy and fast...nice long vines that you can drape around branches and create more little pathways for her to travel and the leaves will create nice little areas she can hide in.
It’s a good idea to put the lay bin back in and keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. Either use washed play sand or you could mix some plant soil and add a plant in the corner of it.

Pothos is a favorite for veileds and other chams. Philodendron is very similar and can be used too. Both grow easy and fast...nice long vines that you can drape around branches and create more little pathways for her to travel and the leaves will create nice little areas she can hide in.
It’s a good idea to put the lay bin back in and keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. Either use washed play sand or you could mix some plant soil and add a plant in the corner of it.
Awesome, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom