female jackson's lifespan.

Giantspleen

hey guys. I'm having a hard time finding anything concrete about the lifespan of female jacksons. everything i find is for males followed by a vague comment somewhere along the lines of "females don't live as long" has anyone had experience with them? my girl is a couple months over two years and she seems to be slowing down a loootttttt. thanks in advance

Females life spans are shortened by the strain of, giving birth in your females case or laying eggs in other species. These complications are what reduce their life span average. It's like saying the average life span of an indoor cat is 15-18 years and the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 8 months. Yes some outdoor cats live to 15 or 18 but so many are lost that it drops the average. If your female survives birthing or passing slugs and doesn't develop cystic ovaries its is possible but rare that she could live nearly as long as a male. I would look for other causes of her slowing down as age is not a disease. Slowing down to a certain extent can be part of reaching maturity. What exactly is she doing?

Females life spans are shortened by the strain of, giving birth in your females case or laying eggs in other species. These complications are what reduce their life span average. It's like saying the average life span of an indoor cat is 15-18 years and the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 8 months. Yes some outdoor cats live to 15 or 18 but so many are lost that it drops the average. If your female survives birthing or passing slugs and doesn't develop cystic ovaries its is possible but rare that she could live nearly as long as a male. I would look for other causes of her slowing down as age is not a disease. Slowing down to a certain extent can be part of reaching maturity. What exactly is she doing?
I've just noticed that she isn't as "curious" anymore and is just more stagnant in general. she doesn't seem to try as hard to get shed off (i have to assist her regularly) she also seems to be having a more difficult time pooping. like she gets it stuck on her butt sometimes and i have to help her with that. there has been no change to her routine to suspect it's a diet issue and her urates are healthy. it is minor things like that that make me wonder if she's becoming a "grandma". i attached a picture of her. she's a sweetheart Abe i just worry.

Attachments

• 20190527_222711.jpg
    20190527_222711.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 77
She's darling. I don't have exactly the same species as you do but my adults over 2-3 year mellow out quite a bit. They seem to learn the bare minimum needed to be comfortable. They are less active than the younger ones. Just to be on the safe side make sure your lighting, temps, humidity are in range, also are your light bulbs and supplements over their expiration date.
Once they are full grown they do partial sheds that aren't as rapid as the full shed of the babies. It does concern me that she is having poop sticking to her and if she is really retaining sheds there may be more going on.

She's darling. I don't have exactly the same species as you do but my adults over 2-3 year mellow out quite a bit. They seem to learn the bare minimum needed to be comfortable. They are less active than the younger ones. Just to be on the safe side make sure your lighting, temps, humidity are in range, also are your light bulbs and supplements over their expiration date.
Once they are full grown they do partial sheds that aren't as rapid as the full shed of the babies. It does concern me that she is having poop sticking to her and if she is really retaining sheds there may be more going on.

so it is pretty normal for her sheds to be kind of random And as you said "partial"? she always seems to have some part of her body shedding.
also, what kind of issues could be associated with her pooping issues? it's not all the time but has occurred a couple times within the past month or so.

Parasites are one thing that comes to mind but gut motility issues could be hydration or nutritional problems or even temperature related.

Back
Top Bottom