Female Jackson’s Chameleon sleeping during the day

About 2 months ago my chameleon laid those false eggs since she hasn’t been bred with another yet. She laid a larger number around 13-16, but still ate and drank just fine. Recently she hasn’t been eating and it’s worrying me. It’s been about 4-5 days now, but she drinks when she wants. Also about 3 days ago she started sleeping upside down. I read that’s a sign for females that they’re ready to mate. Since then her behavior has changed and now she isn’t sleeping upside down, but she is moving at night. She’ll sleep at one spot then I’ll wake her up in the morning and she’s in another spot. About 2 days ago she started resting her eyes periodically during the day. Yesterday she did it for the first time but I let her relax in the window seal so she can get sun and fresh air and she escaped outside. She’s really confusing me. She doesn’t have any gunk in her eyes and she pooped today and it was a little sludgier than usual poop wise but her pee was that more hydrated white. I’m confused if I should take her to the vet or not. Plz help

Attachments

• B55B8191-BCCA-4E62-B133-80147D74B6CF.jpeg
    B55B8191-BCCA-4E62-B133-80147D74B6CF.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 74
@Mendez @JacksJill @Kaizen might be able to help you.

But I would fill out this form in detail. copy and paste it into your reply fill out and add pictures of the entire enclosure including lights on top and more of the cham.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

She’s looking very large in her belly. I wonder if she might be gravid And about to have babies. She shouldnt be sleeping during the day though. How old was this female when you got her. Many female Jackson’s are kept Together with males at the distribution centers. They then may not have babies right away but store the sperm for long periods of time. They can then give birth at any time and are live bearers. This may be the case with your girl.

Last edited:
She’s looking very large in her belly. I wonder if she might be gravid And about to have babies. She shouldnt be sleeping during the day though. How old was this female when you got her. Many female Jackson’s are kept Together with males at the distribution centers. They then may not have babies right away but store the sperm for long periods of time. They can then give birth at any time and are live bearers. This may be the case with your girl.
They didn’t know how old she was when I got her but she looked only a couple weeks old at best. Very small and skinny. She was by herself when I got her, but she had eggs already that were barren because she had no mate.

They don’t lay eggs, they Are live bearers which means the babies are born alive and independent. They can however pass slugs which are underdeveloped embreyos.

Since she is sleeping during the day, a vet visit is probably needed. It may be stress or she could be sick or any number of things.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson’s chameleon, female, and about 2 years old coming next month
  • Handling - Daily
  • Feeding - Mealworms, Superworms and crickets
  • Supplements - I haven’t used it as much lately but it’s called repti-calcium
  • Watering - daily 1-2 misting on her directly or artificial plants around her.
  • Fecal matter - more of a sludgier brown. First most recent was kinda shaped like the end of a cricket with sorta… hydrated but not. So I picked up on misting her more. Today’s was more slushy brown with hydrated poop.
  • History - before I had a small issue where she’d open her mouth but she stopped over time.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and it’s the larger sized petsmart chameleon cage
  • Lighting - I forget the brand but it comes with the cage. But I wake her up at 9 - 10 AM daily. Turn off the yellow light around 3-4 daily
  • Temperature - I keep it around 68-69 daily in the house for her
  • Humidity - Can’t say
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? No
  • Placement - Her cage is in my closet but I have a rotating fan in there for her to keep cool
  • Location - houston texas

Current Problem - sleeping during the day and not eating

Info: MY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE IN CAPITAL LETTERS
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? FOR NOW I WOULDNT HANDLE HER
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? TRY KEEPING THE MEALWORMS AND SUPERWORMS AS TREATS ONLY MAYBE TWICE A WEEK AND LIMIT TO 1-2 each. Gutload your feeder insects with fresh veggies to make them more nutritious for your Cham.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? YOU SHOULD BE LIGHTLY DUSTING YOUR FEEDER INSECTS WITH A PHOSPHORUS FREE D3 FREE POWDER 2-3 TIMES PER WEEK. THEN ONCE A MONTH LIGHTLY DUST THEM WITH A VITAMINE POWDER WITH D3 ONCE A MONTH. A GOOD BRAND TO USE IS REPTICAL NO D3 and reptivite WITH D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i would mist her more often At NIGHT OR GET AN AUTOMATIC MISTING SYSTEM SUCH AS A MISTKING
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? WHEN YOU TAKE HER TO THE VET TAKE A FRESH FECAL SAMPLE WITH YOU TO BE TESTED FOR PARASITES.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST 2x2x4 TALL.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? YOU NEED A LONG LINEAR ARCADIA6% BULB OR A REPTISUN 5.0 in a t5HO FIXTURE THAT FITS THE WIDTH OF HER CAGE. THEN HER BASKING BRANCH NEEDS TO BE 8-9INCHES BELOW THE LIGHT. YOU SHOULD BE USING ABOUT A 60 Watt incandescent bulb for heat, again 8-9 inches above her basking branch.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? TEMPS SHOULD BE IN THE 70S DURING THE DAY, 79 AT THE BASKING BRANCH DURING THE DAY WITH A NIGHT DROP INTO THE LOW 60s to mid 50s. THEY NEED THE NIGHT DROP TO BE ABLE TO GET GOOD SLEEP. IT HELPS THEM LIVE LONGER.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? HUMIDITY SHOULD BE 30-50% DURING THE DAY AND 80-100% DURING THE NIGHT.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? LIVE PLANTS ARE BEST AND THE CHAMS LIKE THEM BETTER BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN THEM IN THE WILD. THEY ALSO HELP KEEP THE HUMIDITY UP.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? THE TOP OF HERCAGE SHOULD BE AT OR ABOVE YOUR HEAD FOR HER TO FEEL SAFE. YOU CAN PLACE IT ON A TABLE IF YOU NEED TO

HUMIDITY IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR JACKSONS CHAMS AS IS THE TEMP THEY ARE KEPT AT. TO HELP WITH HUMIDITY YOU CAN WRAP THE BACK AND TWO SIDES IN A SHOWER CURTAIN ONLY LEAVING THE DOOR UNCOVERED. MISTING SYSTEM AT NIGHT HELPS AND ALSO A FOGGING SYSTEM OR HUMIDIFIER CAN HELP BUT ONLY USE THIS IF YOU CAN GET YOUR TEMPS INTO THE LOW 60S AT NIGHT.

YOU CAN PURCHASE TEMP /HUMIDITY READERS WITH PROBES INEXPENSIVELY ON AMAZON. PLACE ONE AT THE BASKING BRANCH WITH THE TEMP PROBE ZIPTIED TO THE BRANCH WHERE YOUR CHAM SITS AND MAYBE ANOTHER HALF WAY DOWN YOUR CAGE.

I ALSO RECOMEND YOU GET HER INTO A GOOD CHAMELEON EXPERIENCED VET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHY SHES SLEEPING DURING THE DAY AS THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR.

I don't like to see them sleeping during the day. It is a sure sign of a problem. If she is "sleeping" when you are holding her that is stress related and she is shutting down from stress. If she is sleeping in her cage then either her temps and lights are not good enough or she is sick or both.

U
Info: MY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE IN CAPITAL LETTERS
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? FOR NOW I WOULDNT HANDLE HER
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? TRY KEEPING THE MEALWORMS AND SUPERWORMS AS TREATS ONLY MAYBE TWICE A WEEK AND LIMIT TO 1-2 each. Gutload your feeder insects with fresh veggies to make them more nutritious for your Cham.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? YOU SHOULD BE LIGHTLY DUSTING YOUR FEEDER INSECTS WITH A PHOSPHORUS FREE D3 FREE POWDER 2-3 TIMES PER WEEK. THEN ONCE A MONTH LIGHTLY DUST THEM WITH A VITAMINE POWDER WITH D3 ONCE A MONTH. A GOOD BRAND TO USE IS REPTICAL NO D3 and reptivite WITH D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i would mist her more often At NIGHT OR GET AN AUTOMATIC MISTING SYSTEM SUCH AS A MISTKING
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? WHEN YOU TAKE HER TO THE VET TAKE A FRESH FECAL SAMPLE WITH YOU TO BE TESTED FOR PARASITES.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? IT NEEDS TO BE AT LEAST 2x2x4 TALL.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? YOU NEED A LONG LINEAR ARCADIA6% BULB OR A REPTISUN 5.0 in a t5HO FIXTURE THAT FITS THE WIDTH OF HER CAGE. THEN HER BASKING BRANCH NEEDS TO BE 8-9INCHES BELOW THE LIGHT. YOU SHOULD BE USING ABOUT A 60 Watt incandescent bulb for heat, again 8-9 inches above her basking branch.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? TEMPS SHOULD BE IN THE 70S DURING THE DAY, 79 AT THE BASKING BRANCH DURING THE DAY WITH A NIGHT DROP INTO THE LOW 60s to mid 50s. THEY NEED THE NIGHT DROP TO BE ABLE TO GET GOOD SLEEP. IT HELPS THEM LIVE LONGER.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? HUMIDITY SHOULD BE 30-50% DURING THE DAY AND 80-100% DURING THE NIGHT.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? LIVE PLANTS ARE BEST AND THE CHAMS LIKE THEM BETTER BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN THEM IN THE WILD. THEY ALSO HELP KEEP THE HUMIDITY UP.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? THE TOP OF HERCAGE SHOULD BE AT OR ABOVE YOUR HEAD FOR HER TO FEEL SAFE. YOU CAN PLACE IT ON A TABLE IF YOU NEED TO

HUMIDITY IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR JACKSONS CHAMS AS IS THE TEMP THEY ARE KEPT AT. TO HELP WITH HUMIDITY YOU CAN WRAP THE BACK AND TWO SIDES IN A SHOWER CURTAIN ONLY LEAVING THE DOOR UNCOVERED. MISTING SYSTEM AT NIGHT HELPS AND ALSO A FOGGING SYSTEM OR HUMIDIFIER CAN HELP BUT ONLY USE THIS IF YOU CAN GET YOUR TEMPS INTO THE LOW 60S AT NIGHT.

YOU CAN PURCHASE TEMP /HUMIDITY READERS WITH PROBES INEXPENSIVELY ON AMAZON. PLACE ONE AT THE BASKING BRANCH WITH THE TEMP PROBE ZIPTIED TO THE BRANCH WHERE YOUR CHAM SITS AND MAYBE ANOTHER HALF WAY DOWN YOUR CAGE.

I ALSO RECOMEND YOU GET HER INTO A GOOD CHAMELEON EXPERIENCED VET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHY SHES SLEEPING DURING THE DAY AS THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR.
I’ve never managed to feed her fruits or veggies. How do y’all get your chameleons to eat them?

They don’t eat fruits and veggies. You feed those to your feeder bugs. Chameleons are insectivores so they only eat bugs. Now that said, veiled chams will nibble on their plants but Jackson’s do not.

Back
Top Bottom