Female Dwarf Jackson care

lubben

Hey everyone! I'm not currently having any serious issues, but would like some advice on caring for this girl.

Current care is as follows:
Cage: 16" x 16:" x 20"
Diet: crickets, roaches, horned worms, and (for the first time today) silk worms
automatic Misting system
Lighting: adjustable heat lamp, T5 High Output UV
Day temp: 75-80
night temp: 75

most recent shedding was July.

Supplementation:
calcium without phos/d3 --2-3 times per week
calcium plus multivitamin with d3 --1 per week
Bumble dust --1 per month

PICTURES

I bought her from LLLReptile in Oceanside, CA. When I first received her they said she was still under a year old and going to grow more, but it is obvious now that's not the case. Since buying her, she has only gotten smaller because she gave birth to 6 babies. I did my best to care for them but none made it to the three month mark.
I was also initially told that she was a Mt. Meru Jackson but after sharing pictures I was informed that she's actually a Mt. Kenya Jackson? If anyone can confirm that it would be awesome.

She appears to be eating, drinking, and pooping normally. The only exception being that she misses her food on occasion, maybe 4-5 times in the past 3 months. I know this can be a sign of some more severe issues so if please let know if that's something I should be worried about.

Last edited:
She's a Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii, also known as a rainbow jackson's chameleon or machakos hills jackson's chameleon.

Current care is as follows:
Cage: 16" x 16:" x 20"
You should consider upgrading her to an 18x18x36 at the very minimum. A 2x2x4ft would be best. 16x16x20'' is too small. Also, you need to add more branches and plant foliage to the cage.

Diet: crickets, roaches, horned worms, and (for the first time today) silk worms
Very nice! Variety is key--looks like you are doing well! How'd she like the silkworms?

automatic Misting system
At what times do you have the mister going? Duration and frequency. What are your day and night humidity levels?

Lighting: adjustable heat lamp, T5 High Output UV
What brand of lighting do you have? Zoomed? Arcadia? And what strength? 5.0 or 6%? How high is the bulb from the basking branch underneath?

Day temp: 75-80
Ambient temps in the low 70s (68-75F) are advised for a jackson's chameleon. Having a basking spot of 80 works.

night temp: 75
This is way too hot for a jackson's chameleon. They are a montane species of chameleon that take temps that average in the mid 50s at night. 65F is the absolute highest nighttime temperature your cham should see. Aiming for the low 60s and into the 50s would be ideal. But I know it can be hard for people to achieve these temps, so 65F is the max.

Supplementation:
calcium without phos/d3 --2-3 times per week
calcium plus multivitamin with d3 --1 per week
Bumble dust --1 per month
Posting the brand of each supplement would help. Not all supplements are created equal, so if you send pics or let us know what brands you use, we can help determine if it works or what might work better. Calcium plus D3 on a weekly basis is too much and risks your cham getting edema. Calcium plus D3/multivitamin should be given once a month.

I bought her from LLLReptile in Oceanside, CA. When I first received her they said she was still under a year old and going to grow more, but it is obvious now that's not the case. Since buying her, she has only gotten smaller because she gave birth to 6 babies. I did my best to care for them but none made it to the three month mark.
I was also initially told that she was a Mt. Meru Jackson but after sharing pictures I was informed that she's actually a Mt. Kenya Jackson? If anyone can confirm that it would be awesome.
Mt. merus come from Tanzania, which has been closed for export for a long time now. No one in the U.S has Mt. merus, and if they did--I would know about it because merus are so fricken awesome!

She appears to be eating, drinking, and pooping normally. The only exception being that she misses her food on occasion, maybe 4-5 times in the past 3 months. I know this can be a sign of some more severe issues so if please let know if that's something I should be worried about.
Missing her food could be a sign that something is wrong. But it also doesn't sound serious yet. It could be that she injured her tongue and it is healing. Do you tong-feed? As long as you answer the questions I've asked, we should be able to find the root cause of the issue. Or we may find that there is nothing to worry about.

She's a Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii, also known as a rainbow jackson's chameleon or machakos hills jackson's chameleon.

You should consider upgrading her to an 18x18x36 at the very minimum. A 2x2x4ft would be best. 16x16x20'' is too small. Also, you need to add more branches and plant foliage to the cage.

Very nice! Variety is key--looks like you are doing well! How'd she like the silkworms?

At what times do you have the mister going? Duration and frequency. What are your day and night humidity levels?

What brand of lighting do you have? Zoomed? Arcadia? And what strength? 5.0 or 6%? How high is the bulb from the basking branch underneath?

Ambient temps in the low 70s (68-75F) are advised for a jackson's chameleon. Having a basking spot of 80 works.

This is way too hot for a jackson's chameleon. They are a montane species of chameleon that take temps that average in the mid 50s at night. 65F is the absolute highest nighttime temperature your cham should see. Aiming for the low 60s and into the 50s would be ideal. But I know it can be hard for people to achieve these temps, so 65F is the max.

Posting the brand of each supplement would help. Not all supplements are created equal, so if you send pics or let us know what brands you use, we can help determine if it works or what might work better. Calcium plus D3 on a weekly basis is too much and risks your cham getting edema. Calcium plus D3/multivitamin should be given once a month.

Mt. merus come from Tanzania, which has been closed for export for a long time now. No one in the U.S has Mt. merus, and if they did--I would know about it because merus are so fricken awesome!

Missing her food could be a sign that something is wrong. But it also doesn't sound serious yet. It could be that she injured her tongue and it is healing. Do you tong-feed? As long as you answer the questions I've asked, we should be able to find the root cause of the issue. Or we may find that there is nothing to worry about.

BETTER PICTURES

I was thinking her cage is a little small, but I also have a decently sized tree that she spends time in almost daily so im certain that should help.

She appeared to really enjoy them! forgot to mention she does also hand feed.

the mister sprays quite heavily for 12 seconds every 3.5 hrs. I also have no way of monitoring the humidity levels.

heat lamp is zoo med and the T5 is too.

As far as day and night ambient temps, my room is hot all the time and im unsure how to cool it further. I have the window open at night to cool so im sure that helps her get closer to 60 but during the Summer its still well above that at night.

Supplements can be seen here.

I forgot to mention a maybe 3-4 of the occasions she missed the food was when she was trying to eat out of my had so that could be the reason for those occasions.

Back
Top Bottom