Female Chameleon

mercury

Hi!! I recently got a baby chameleon, about two months old. I originally thought that my local petco only distributed males in that store; so naturally I assumed that my chameleon was a boy. After about a month of having it, I started to question whether or not this was true seeing as there are no spurs or a bulge. Then again, I'm not sure if this is too early in it's life to sex them.

With this said, all of my previous research has been based around owning a male chameleon. So my question is, if my chameleon happens to be a girl, are there any new or different factors of caring that I should be concerned with, such as laying a bed for eggs and how I would go about that?

Thanks so much, love this site x

Hi!! I recently got a baby chameleon, about two months old. I originally thought that my local petco only distributed males in that store; so naturally I assumed that my chameleon was a boy. After about a month of having it, I started to question whether or not this was true seeing as there are no spurs or a bulge. Then again, I'm not sure if this is too early in it's life to sex them.

With this said, all of my previous research has been based around owning a male chameleon. So my question is, if my chameleon happens to be a girl, are there any new or different factors of caring that I should be concerned with, such as laying a bed for eggs and how I would go about that?

Thanks so much, love this site x
The only differences in care is a female requires a 12x12 laybin in her enclosure with moist play sand. This should be available to her at all times. When you notice she is digging or preparing to lay put a blanket over her enclosure and giver her lots of privacy. @JoXie411 is a great source of info for any female veiled chameleon info you may have.

The only differences in care is a female requires a 12x12 laybin in her enclosure with moist play sand. This should be available to her at all times. When you notice she is digging or preparing to lay put a blanket over her enclosure and giver her lots of privacy. @JoXie411 is a great source of info for any female veiled chameleon info you may have.
thank you!

Do you mind posting a pic of your chameleon so we can get a look at it and help you sex it?? If she ends up being a girl the biggest difference is she lays eggs even if she doesn’t mate. So how chickens can lay Infertile eggs so can chameleons. That’s honestly the biggest difference and be sure to keep up with calcium with her. You don’t want her leeching calcium from her body to make the eggs. A member on this site wrote an amazing blog on laying bins definitely an amazing read.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Do you mind posting a pic of your chameleon so we can get a look at it and help you sex it?? If she ends up being a girl the biggest difference is she lays eggs even if she doesn’t mate. So how chickens can lay Infertile eggs so can chameleons. That’s honestly the biggest difference and be sure to keep up with calcium with her. You don’t want her leeching calcium from her body to make the eggs. A member on this site wrote an amazing blog on laying bins definitely an amazing read.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
Of course! Here are the back of the hind legs where the spurs should be
. 20190418_170115.jpg 20190421_074535.jpg 20190421_074621.jpg 20190421_074831.jpg 20190421_075000.jpg

Oo yes that’s a beautiful little girl. Females are fun because there colors change when they want to mate and don’t want to mate. You want to learn about receptive and gravid colors. The first photo is my female back in January showing she’s ready to mate and the bottom pic is her 2 weeks ago showing she has eggs developing (females can retain sperm for future clutches of eggs). You really want to pay attention to this. Sometimes if not given the proper husbandry the females can become egg bond. Here are a few articles you can read about egg bond. If you would like we can also do a husbandry check on your set up to see if any changes need to be made

https://mypetchameleon.com/diseases/egg-binding-in-female-chameleons/

https://animals.mom.me/identify-egg-bound-chameleon-4354.html

Attachments

• 00D18CFA-2BF6-4CDE-ABD5-A3C27B22D2D8.jpeg
    00D18CFA-2BF6-4CDE-ABD5-A3C27B22D2D8.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 2FD86FC6-9E48-413C-927F-B00988CE055C.jpeg
    2FD86FC6-9E48-413C-927F-B00988CE055C.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 171
Oo yes that’s a beautiful little girl. Females are fun because there colors change when they want to mate and don’t want to mate. You want to learn about receptive and gravid colors. The first photo is my female back in January showing she’s ready to mate and the bottom pic is her 2 weeks ago showing she has eggs developing (females can retain sperm for future clutches of eggs). You really want to pay attention to this. Sometimes if not given the proper husbandry the females can become egg bond. Here are a few articles you can read about egg bond. If you would like we can also do a husbandry check on your set up to see if any changes need to be made

https://mypetchameleon.com/diseases/egg-binding-in-female-chameleons/

https://animals.mom.me/identify-egg-bound-chameleon-4354.html
Thank you! You really have been a lot a help for me and my little girl, I really appreciate all of the articles. I'd love for you to check on her enclosure.

She's currently living in a 16 x 16 x 30 screened in cage but I intend to move her as she grows. She has a basking light, daytime light, and nighttime light. I mist her cage around 2 times a day but she only seems to drink in the morning. Aside from that, I run a humidifier in my room that seems to carry on pretty well into her enclosure and she seems perfectly happy with the humidity mixed with the given heat. I spot check everyday and deep clean her cage every 3 weeks or so, or just whenever it starts to smell bad. I handle her mainly once a day and let her roam and she seems very happy and content with that arrangement. Getting her to trust me has not been an issue for us at all. She loves eating crickets from my hands and crawling up to the side of my face. Other times, she'll curl her little tail and take a nap on my finger.
20190421_102026.jpg

Back
Top Bottom