Feeding

So, recently when I go to my chameleons cage she's always asleep, which isn't normal for her, she's usually awake all day untill her lights turn off so when I go to feed her I open the cage and wait a little bit to see if she will wake up, maybe turn the lights on and off,mist the cage (not her) and she still doesn't wake up so I'll shake the Branch a little still not waking up, then I'll put the mealworm around her maybe tap her gently with it, then she keeps her eyes closed and hisses and puffs up, she never used to do this she's always been very sweet, happy and healthy.
She's not pregnant she doesn't have parasites, she's hydrated.
So what do I do?
I don't want to stress her out

Somethings not right with husbandry. If i remember correctly you were going to make changes to the encloser. Did you do this? Please post pix of encloser top to bottom, please include pix lighting too. I will tag @Sonny13 , @MissSkittles and @Beman They are very knowledgeable cham parents and can give great information on lighting and other areas too.

Hi. It’s not good at all for a chameleon to have it’s eyes closed during the day. Had you gotten the correct T5 uvb light? Last post I see about it was that your Mom sent it back because your other cham passed away. Best thing to do would be to post pics of your entire enclosure and current pics of your chameleon. Doing a full husbandry review would also help.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Somethings not right with husbandry. If i remember correctly you were going to make changes to the encloser. Did you do this? Please post pix of encloser top to bottom, please include pix lighting too. I will tag @Sonny13 , @MissSkittles and @Beman They are very knowledgeable cham parents and can give great information on lighting and other areas too.
I have talked to beman before.
Update: I just fed her because she was awake, I think she's just going to sleep earlier.
I fed her what she normally eats, 5 to 10 dusted mealworms she ate those no problem.
Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20230105_124854016.jpg
    IMG_20230105_124854016.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230105_124845416.jpg
    IMG_20230105_124845416.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230105_124837009.jpg
    IMG_20230105_124837009.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230105_124752357.jpg
    IMG_20230105_124752357.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 45
So, I may not understand clearly. Is your chameleon going to sleep a little before the lights turn off or is she having her eyes closed during the day time? Chameleons will sometimes get ready for sleep up to an hour early or so, but having eyes closed during the day is not good. I’d like to help you, and it’s important to know what type of uvb you have and what supplements you are using and how often for each. Are you feeding anything else besides mealworms?
I’d like to suggest that you remove the water fountain. As you can see, it’s very easily contaminated by the poo and is a risk for making your chameleon sick.
Are you able to get any live plants? Maybe someone has a pothos or philodendron you can get some clippings from to start plants from?

So, I may not understand clearly. Is your chameleon going to sleep a little before the lights turn off or is she having her eyes closed during the day time? Chameleons will sometimes get ready for sleep up to an hour early or so, but having eyes closed during the day is not good. I’d like to help you, and it’s important to know what type of uvb you have and what supplements you are using and how often for each. Are you feeding anything else besides mealworms?
I’d like to suggest that you remove the water fountain. As you can see, it’s very easily contaminated by the poo and is a risk for making your chameleon sick.
Are you able to get any live plants? Maybe someone has a pothos or philodendron you can get some clippings from to start plants from?
She's fine now shes back to normal

I spoke with the OP already in prior threads... UVB looks like it has not been updated and a fountain is still being used. Also spoke about mealworms not being the best staple feeder.
I did get the correct lighting I just haven't installed it yet and she loves the waterfall I see her drinking from it and she hangs out on it all the time, before I got the waterfall she was severely dehydrated and shes nice and hydrated.
She won't eat anything other than mealworms, I have tried dubias, super worms, and crickets all she likes is mealworms

Last edited:
I did get the correct lighting I just haven't installed it yet and she loves the waterfall I see her drinking from it and she hangs out on it all the time, before I got the waterfall she was severely dehydrated and shes nice and hydrated.
She won't eat anything other than mealworms, I have tried dubias, super worms, and crickets all she likes is mealworms
Having correct uvb is essential for chameleons. Please, if you have the correct light then set it up without further delay.
Regarding the waterfall, it’s not an issue of whether your chameleon likes it or not. Actually, it kind of is since there is clearly at least 2+ poos on the waterfall in your pic and your chameleon likes it and is drinking from it. The poo is contaminating the water and Lord only knows what types of bacteria and other nasty organisms are growing in it. Your chameleon is drinking that bacterial soup. It’s like us drinking from the toilet without flushing. 🤢
9265B8C2-202A-404C-A849-C58CFBCF0A91.jpeg

Have you tried black soldier flies? I was reluctant to handle them, but they basically just act and look like small worms. They are very nutritious and cheap. You don't even need to dust them. My cham loves them as much as superworms.

You said your chameleon doesn’t like the crickets…what size are they compared to the space betweeen the chameleons eyes. If they’re too large she may not take them.

Also, how old is she now?
Do you realize that she can produce eggs once she is mature and you need to make sure you don’t overfeed her (starting just before she starts making them) and you need to keep the basking temperature no higher than 80F so she won’t develop follicular stasis and also not be able to lay the eggs? She could develop MBD as well if her diet isn’t right.

Back
Top Bottom