Feeding

BOAZ

I recently took in a 2 year old Veiled Chameleon. I have had Chameleons in the past but it's been a long time. I can only get him to eat hornworms, wax worms and mealworms. He's refusing to eat roaches,crickets and veggies. I obviously dont want to cause him any distress but should I only offer him the roaches, crickets and veggies until he starts taking them regularly? Any help is much appreciated.

I recently took in a 2 year old Veiled Chameleon. I have had Chameleons in the past but it's been a long time. I can only get him to eat hornworms, wax worms and mealworms. He's refusing to eat roaches,crickets and veggies. I obviously dont want to cause him any distress but should I only offer him the roaches, crickets and veggies until he starts taking them regularly? Any help is much appreciated.
Take away the mealworms and use super worms instead. Second, what I would do is keep offering crix, roaches until he has to eat them...

@Beman, how did it go, did your tough love work? Is Beman back on dubia now?
Yeppers! It took a total of 7 days. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown lol. So I offered only Dubia everyday until he figured out that was all he was getting. Once he went back on dubia I ended up offering them for 3 additional days straight. He took them every time. Then I flipped back to every other day feeding. Now I have worked in other feeders but I put dubia in his cup first. Because I don't want him thinking he is getting the other feeders lol. Once he has eaten them all I put in his BSFL and a superworm.. Keep in mind he would only eat BSFL and 1 maybe 2 silks each feeding for 8 weeks straight. He went off crickets, supers, and dubia out of no where so I started offering him silks to get him to eat. He is also getting BSF one here and there as they hatch. I just ordered Blue bottle spikes to add the flys in as well for another chasing feeder lol.

It was hard to do but I was really worried about the lack of variation in his diet and the fact that he was not putting on weight. He was actually loosing weight slowly. He has gained 3 grams in the last 2 weeks since he went back on his varied diet.

@Brodybreaux25 and @jamest0o0 had told me for weeks to do this and I kept wimping out but I am really happy I finally listened. :)

Yeppers! It took a total of 7 days. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown lol. So I offered only Dubia everyday until he figured out that was all he was getting. Once he went back on dubia I ended up offering them for 3 additional days straight. He took them every time. Then I flipped back to every other day feeding. Now I have worked in other feeders but I put dubia in his cup first. Because I don't want him thinking he is getting the other feeders lol. Once he has eaten them all I put in his BSFL and a superworm.. Keep in mind he would only eat BSFL and 1 maybe 2 silks each feeding for 8 weeks straight. He went off crickets, supers, and dubia out of no where so I started offering him silks to get him to eat. He is also getting BSF one here and there as they hatch. I just ordered Blue bottle spikes to add the flys in as well for another chasing feeder lol.

It was hard to do but I was really worried about the lack of variation in his diet and the fact that he was not putting on weight. He was actually loosing weight slowly. He has gained 3 grams in the last 2 weeks since he went back on his varied diet.

@Brodybreaux25 and @jamest0o0 had told me for weeks to do this and I kept wimping out but I am really happy I finally listened. :)

Well, glad it worked! I'm totally doing this when Max is 9 or 10 months old.

Back
Top Bottom