Feeding with Tongs

extrajordinary

Established Member
I've tried to feed Leo with long wooden tongs twice lately and initially he hisses. I've just kept them there until he calms down and realizes there's a moving cricket at the end of the wooden tongs. Once he calms down he tries to get the cricket from the tongs, but I think I'm doing something wrong because the cricket falls each time. I think I'm waiting too long (or not long enough) to let go with the tongs. Any advice on how to properly feed him with the wooden tongs?

I guess I didn’t think of holding it with my fingers because Leo’s very aggressive toward my fingers. Any ideas for curbing that aggression?

Hand feeding is the best way to build trust. I only did the tweezers with my veiled since he had such an attitude at first but switched to hand feeding as soon as I could. I would also recommend tweezers if the cham is to scared of your hands. My female will probably need to start with tweezers since she is a very shy girl.

Congrats on the success! That is such a great feeling and a big step in your relationship.

Congrats! I find supers and horn worms easier to hand feed, as treats. I just put them in my palm and they get snatched right up! Crickets gross me out, lol

My female feeds beautifully from my hand or from a cup or bowl which I hold in front of her, or from the same dish placed on the ground.
My male who has no tongue must be feeded straight into his mouth with a syringe or with tweezers. I am actually happy that he is aggressive towards my hand because his hissing makes him open up his mouth for feeding! Otherwise, voluntarily he will open it only for the water spray bottle. I only hope that I can still make him open up his mouth for food if his aggression abides.

Back
Top Bottom