Feeding the new guy?

Lil’ Sneak

Established Member
We have a 2 month old male Yemen. We got him last Friday, so, 6 days... We are trying to encourage him to use a TK Chameleons Shooting Gallery feeder to keep better track of what he’s eating, he hates it... I don’t think he’s even attempted to check it out. He loves free range feeding and he has taken a couple of crickets from tongs. I can verify that I have witnessed him eat 8 crickets since Friday...none from the feeder. we’ve also offered Dubia roaches, but he’s not interested in those at all. My guess is that he’s only been offer crickets up until now.

He‘s pooping, drinking, active, I’m not worried about him so to speak. Just wondering if we should “enforce” the feeder or freerange feed him, or both? I think if we freerange feed, then the shooting gallery will be out...

It’s on the door, right below his favorite limb/leaf...he notices the crickets in it, just won’t approach them. He’s got a small branch and a leaf for access, I’ve seen him make tougher approaches on loose prey.

I‘m fairly confident we can work in the roaches down the road, just want to make sure he gets his fill with out having to throw handfuls of crickets into the enclosure
. 10D55BAF-D7D2-41D2-939A-5359791F3D1C.jpeg

Attachments

• 8373A97C-C338-47CD-BFA4-02836DF2E5C5.jpeg
    8373A97C-C338-47CD-BFA4-02836DF2E5C5.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 90
  • 1AAC9882-302B-45D0-B4E8-40FAF2BBAF4B.jpeg
    1AAC9882-302B-45D0-B4E8-40FAF2BBAF4B.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 80
It’s on the door, right below his favorite limb/leaf...he notices the crickets in it, just won’t approach them. He’s got a small branch and a leaf for access, I’ve seen him make tougher approaches on loose prey.

I‘m fairly confident we can work in the roaches down the road, just want to make sure he gets his fill with out having to throw handfuls of crickets into the enclosure
.View attachment 273357
What I had to do was move mine up to basking level... It is the only way he consistently saw them. 2 weeks later he goes right to it in the morning and cleans them all out. I also tossed in like 20 feeders the first few days to get his attention.

Those feeders look quite large though for little man to handle. He is fairly small and would still be on 1/4 inch size at most. He may be backing off because they are too large for him.

But also the cage is new to him. So it is an adjustment period.

I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. ? And, yes, the crickets have grown, he hasn’t passed on one outside the feeder. But, we are due for a fresh batch of 1/4”. Thanks for the advice!

What I had to do was move mine up to basking level... It is the only way he consistently saw them. 2 weeks later he goes right to it in the morning and cleans them all out. I also tossed in like 20 feeders the first few days to get his attention.
Great advise! Moved it up to basking height, right in front of his favorite spot and he eventually went for it after some careful consideration and observation!

Thanks!

Great advise! Moved it up to basking height, right in front of his favorite spot and he eventually went for it after some careful consideration and observation!

Thanks!
So glad he used it! My male veiled would refuse to use his shooting gallery. I had to get the fullthrottlefeeder for him. He actually lets me watch him eat now. So yay. It is crazy how much we cater to our scaley babies.

Back
Top Bottom