Feeding Silkworms

AZJ0SH

If I cup feed crix, should I cup feed silk worms, or use them as a treat and let them roam around and let the cham go for them?

If I cup feed crix, should I cup feed silk worms, or use them as a treat and let them roam around and let the cham go for them?

I would suggest just put about 4 or 5 in there to free roam until they get eaten or put them in there with some food so they stay by the food and you can see how many are eaten. No need to use them as a treat, they are possibly the best staple diet feeders and even taste better to your cham than crickets. check this out:

Silkworm
43 Fat
0.5 Calcium
0.6 Phosphorus
54 Protein
Mealworm
Waxworm
Cricket

What you want is a cal : phos ratio of 1:1 and the silky is pretty damn close, no need to dust with pure calcium, maybe just cal with d3 twice a month, i have 500 000 silkworm eggs, just hatch when needed

I let my silks roam until they got so big they hung on the branch and my jackson's was dragged to them by his tounge! Im now altering that roaming a bit.

How much do the worms move, I used to have a mulberry plant in my yard in Michigan and always had silkworms on it, but it didnt look like they ever moved.

they generally dont move more then a few inches if that.

Did you put silkworms on your mulberry plant? If they were wild I dont think they were silkworms they have been extinct in the wild for a looong time.

I cup feed the majority of my chams food, but the silkworms I don't as they produce silk and everything just gets stuck together. when I feed him silkies, I just put them on the branch near him (he won't hand feed!) and they are hoovered up right away - def. a favourite!

I feed 3 every other day in conjunction with crix and horned. i just put them on my hand and he comes running! easy to keep as well I am finding. definitely a favorite for the both of us!

Back
Top Bottom