feeding schedule

chamnoodle

Hey everyone! just a quick question, my chameleon is currently shedding, as you might have seen in a past post lol, and I am not completely sure his age but I think he is getting to be 6 months, after he sheds, later in the month should I put him on an every other day schedule? How much do I feed him every other day until he is a year old?

@Beman share your veiled wisdom with the people Becca
LOL dork

So what I do....
by 6 months you want him on 5 every other day. Then at 10-12 months you want to drop back to 3 feeders every other day. By the time they are 12 months old they should be getting no more then 2-3 feeders every other day. Some people will even cut back to 3 days a week of 2-3 feeders. All of this depends on your cham. Monitor weight through this process. You want small gradual gains after they hit the 6 month mark. Make sure feeder size is appropriate. Larger feeders mean you feed less of them.
I want to note I carefully monitor weight gain. So I base my feeding on that. My 7 month old is still on an every day feeding since I do not have an exact hatch date and his weight is just now at 59 grams. I will start working him into an every other day over the next month.

LOL dork

So what I do....
by 6 months you want him on 5 every other day. Then at 10-12 months you want to drop back to 3 feeders every other day. By the time they are 12 months old they should be getting no more then 2-3 feeders every other day. Some people will even cut back to 3 days a week of 2-3 feeders. All of this depends on your cham. Monitor weight through this process. You want small gradual gains after they hit the 6 month mark. Make sure feeder size is appropriate. Larger feeders mean you feed less of them.
I want to note I carefully monitor weight gain. So I base my feeding on that. My 7 month old is still on an every day feeding since I do not have an exact hatch date and his weight is just now at 59 grams. I will start working him into an every other day over the next month.
Thank you! as he gets older should I switch to large crickets? I normally feed him crickets and treats like superworms or hornworms every once in a while and am thinking about trying out dubias. I have seen large crickets before at petsmart (I get crickets from a local pet store now) and they're pretty big so I was wondering if I will need to do that/if medium size is too small? How do you take care of dubias?

Thank you! as he gets older should I switch to large crickets? I normally feed him crickets and treats like superworms or hornworms every once in a while and am thinking about trying out dubias. I have seen large crickets before at petsmart (I get crickets from a local pet store now) and they're pretty big so I was wondering if I will need to do that/if medium size is too small? How do you take care of dubias?
I don't feed large feeders... Medium is the biggest I feed.
Dubias are not very hard at all but they like to be warm so mine are on heat at 86 degrees. These are a slower moving feeder though so trying to get them to take to them when they are older is not always easy. You might talk to @jamest0o0 He has lots of other roach species. Might have options for you that would be more enticing then dubia.

Back
Top Bottom