Feeding schedule

LittleScooter

Hi this is my first post and I need some clarity! I got my first chameleon about two weeks ago and hes been doing awesome! He enjoys his enclosure, loves eating and enjoys climbing all over everything! So my question here is about the calcium and vitamins and when to use them, I dust daily with calcium without d3 and ive fed him one time with multivitamins with d3 so far, and in a week or two for one day I will use calcium with d3? Really want to get this on a calendar so he gets the best care I can possibly give him. Can’t wait till he gets big!

Attachments

• F7ADD93C-9098-4170-B8ED-8D011C5D716F.jpeg
    F7ADD93C-9098-4170-B8ED-8D011C5D716F.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 125
Based on my research that sounds right!

“Month:
Week 1: 6 days dusting without D3; 1 day With D3
Week 2: 6 days dusting without D3; 1 day with vitamins
Week 3: 6 days dusting without D3; 1 day With D3
Week 4: 6 days dusting without D3; 1 day with vitamins

Then repeat starting the next month with week 1”

Saw this from somewhere else on the forums, but it seem to have gotten missed. Does that look good? Thank you for the feed back! Much stress has disappeared!

“Month:

Saw this from somewhere else on the forums, but it seem to have gotten missed. Does that look good? Thank you for the feed back! Much stress has disappeared!

That looks good! :) Here is the caresheet for veiled chameleons (assuming from your avatar)...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

That schedule is fine, but if your cham gets any outside time in real sunlight (a couple hours a day) then you would not be dusting as much.

What type of lighting do you have?

If your multivitamins have D3 in it there's no need for an extra calcium with D3 supplement.

It should also be mentioned that feeders should be dusted lightly, meaning a cricket should not look like a ghost when being fed off... It's very likely we're already oversupplementing our animals as it is so better take it easy on supplements...
A good way to limit the possibility of oversupplementing is using salt and pepper shakers instead of the default container for the supplement that always has holes that are to big and usually give nothing or to much. (idea from @Twitchet)

That looks good! :) Here is the caresheet for veiled chameleons (assuming from your avatar)...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

That schedule is fine, but if your cham gets any outside time in real sunlight (a couple hours a day) then you would not be dusting as much.

What type of lighting do you have?

Im using a Reptisun 5.0 uvb and small heat bulb, and made sure he would sit mostly under the uvb so he can get the most artificial sun possible, he is about 6-8 inches away from the bulb, I would let him outside, but its starting to get cold outside and only gets up to 70 with a cold breeze now!

If your multivitamins have D3 in it there's no need for an extra calcium with D3 supplement.

It should also be mentioned that feeders should be dusted lightly, meaning a cricket should not look like a ghost when being fed off... It's very likely we're already oversupplementing our animals as it is so better take it easy on supplements...
A good way to limit the possibility of oversupplementing is using salt and pepper shakers instead of the default container for the supplement that always has holes that are to big and usually give nothing or to much. (idea from @Twitchet)

I have been taking little pinches and put the insects in a mason jar and drop the powder in after making sure they arent looking like a powdered donut lol I have been reading stuff on chameleons non stop before and after I got him. Its a lot of fun! Will definitely get some salt and pepper shakes!

“Month:

How old is your cham? The schedule is basically the same for older chams (somewhere around 8-12 months depending on who you ask) you are only feeding 3-4 times a week. Once that happens, you are skipping the dustings without d3.

Since you are new to keeping chams.... Feeder variety is key. If you are only feeding crickets he needs variety.

How old is your cham? The schedule is basically the same for older chams (somewhere around 8-12 months depending on who you ask) you are only feeding 3-4 times a week. Once that happens, you are skipping the dustings without d3.

Since you are new to keeping chams.... Feeder variety is key. If you are only feeding crickets he needs variety.
Not sure, saw him at petco and he was the only chameleon that was active climbing (was there because my girlfriend wanted to see the hamster) I decided to get him because ive had a couple reptiles and I loved them to death and always wanted a chameleon and knew what I needed, so fun to watch! He is 2-4 inches long not including tail, I feed him crickets, super worms, kale and fruits, and I plan on getting dubia roaches soon!

So he is still very young... daily feedings are best. I feed in the morning so they have all day to digest it. I suggest getting dubias (or orange heads my new favorite) asap because when then little guy is a year old, 15 cent crickets will get expensive and roach colonies take a long time to establish. Black soldier flies and larvae (phoenix worm, calci worms, reptiworms) are another great feeder that don't need calcium supplement.

Back
Top Bottom