Feeding questions

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have been reading about gutloading. From what i've read its feeding the food before feeding the chameleon and its best to feed them at least 48 hours before feeding the chameleon.
How i've been feeding the chameleon im taking care of is putting a few crickets in her cage every morning. So like would I just feed the crickets once every 48 hours?
I guess what i'm trying to ask is, what is the best feeding schedule and set up for veiled chameleons and their food?

Hi I continuously feed my feeders all the time , to try and keep them as healthy as possible, providing fresh food every 2/ 3 days and cleaning out their boxes, tubs ,tanks whatever. Providing heat also , heat mats for my dubia roaches, heat light ( light bulb) for my locusts so that they are active enough to feed and also so they last longer

Hi also when you say putting crickets in her cage do you use a a feeder cup or run ? I always cup feed ,preferably something the feeder insects can't get out of . 1 so I know what my cham has eaten but also that lose feeders are not eating my cham

Do you know how old this girl is approximately because her food in take will depend on her age. Did you find the calcium without D3?
I gut load continuously. Every other day putting in new gutload.

Here is female specific info:
As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

chameleon-gutload.jpg

She is about 4 months old, and no i don't have a feed cup or run.
I only have this for vitamins that she came with, but im guessing from the reply in the other thread that I should get a different kind?
1646429536208.png

Last edited:
Hi ,so not sure this is a great picture but keeping, records/ charts not only helps you with supplements, weights, amounts of feeders , notes but is also helpful if you a vet visit. 😉

Attachments

• 20220304_225711.jpg
    20220304_225711.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi ,so not sure this is a great picture but keeping, records/ charts not only helps you with supplements, weights, amounts of feeders , notes but is also helpful if you a vet visit. 😉
Ah so this keeps track of when she ate, shed, and what she ate and what supplements might have gone with the food? That’s a amazing idea!

Back
Top Bottom