Feeding Question

jnourigat

I have a 6 month old female veiled cham for two weeks now. She seems healthy and is eating crickets/hoppers like crazy, but I have not at one time observed her eat a piece of apple, spinach, etc. I placed the pieces on a vine, her bowl, etc, and saw NOTHING. Maybe she ate a bit, but I never observed it yet. Where is the best spot or method of placing the "non-insect food" for her to eat? Bowl? From the hands? Hanging somewhere? Thanks.

A lot of times they won't eat those types of food items... sometimes people have lick with fruits... placing them on vines is prolly your best bet.

One thing to keep in mind, over feeding a female can lead to large lutches and can cause egg binding and then lead to death. This would be worth reading: Link

Thanks

That's what I did. I have those twisted vines where I can just insert a piece of fruit or whatever. I will research this information on overfeeding, too. Thanks a bunch for the information and link.

Spinach

I read mixed information on it. Some say it's good, others not. I am starting slow with just grated apples and carrots.

well spinach i believe inibits the abilitly to absorb calcium within the bones of the cham also i think it has to do with high oxolate acids?? not sure.....

what is generally avoided for new owners and even the intermediate keepers like myself is to stay away from spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli.....:)

Digging space

I have to get that done ASAP. I really like this female, but am having sliiiiight regrets about not getting a male, which was the original plan. Don't misunderstand me, I love this cham and had to have her. Just seems a bit more work, which I read up on a bit and am prepared for.

I have a glass terrarium with good vents (top and front) to include two small fans for good air circulation. Live ficus, drachs, and good humidity/temp during day and night. I just picked up the fans due to it being a glass cage vs. screened. Size is 2 by 2 by 3 feet high. What do you suggest in regard to digging space and material ref the egg issue? Diameter? Sand? I've done my reading, but any first hand help would be great. Joe

I always recommend having an opaque container at least 12" deep x 123" x 8" filled 3/4 full of moistened washed playsand in the cage of any egglaying female once she is sexually mature so that they have a place to dig to show you when they need to lay eggs. Failure to provide such a place can lead to eggbinding....and eventually death.

well spinach i believe inibits the abilitly to absorb calcium within the bones of the cham also i think it has to do with high oxolate acids?? not sure.....

what is generally avoided for new owners and even the intermediate keepers like myself is to stay away from spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli.....:)

Yep! Spinach is high in oxalates which bind to the calcium in other foods before they can be absorbed so it's lost in feces instead of going to the body where it's needed. Here's a good site for veggie info. Avoid veggies high in oxalates and goitrogens and aim for higher calcium than phosphorus ratio.

Back
Top Bottom