Feeding question

BrandonsHerps

My Male veiled chameleon has escaped in my trees a few times but always comes back after a few months. The other day I caught him after not seeing him for 9 months. He's kinda skinny now and seems to have healed from some sort of wound on his back but anyway I wanna fatten him up before I let him run around again or anything so I've been feeding him anoles he can eat like 3 a day. He is caged outside and gets natural and artificial light but I'm not sure if he can digest them well enough. So is he able to digest these properly? And is it bad for him to eat these everyday?

Assuming this isn't a troll, why would you think feeding him other lizards would "fatten him up"?
Especially since they must be baby anoles with not much on them.
Why not feed him a few extra superworms? They're high in fat content.

I've always been a lot more into reef aquariums but I got a little into reptiles so I don't know enough about what's fatty and what's not. They are not baby anoles these are like 4 inch lizards not including tale. I have a super worm colony. You think I should just give him as many as he will eat a day?

Variety is best. I would feed a couple/few supers along with good staple feeders like dubias, silkworms, crickets, etc. (Not necessarily all at the same time—mix it up.) Once he fills out a bit, cut back on the supers to just one or 2 a week.

I'm concerned he's been eating lizards that size. Veiled chameleons are primarily insectivores that may nibble a few plants; they're not carnivores, and I don't know that they can digest all that bone—particularly skulls. If he shows any signs of impaction or constipation, be ready to get him to a herp vet.

chameleon signs of impaction constipation

That's y I was concerned that he was eating to much bone and wouldn't be able to digest it. He kinda lives in my backyard not really in a cage and I don't see him often so I'm not sure what he eats usually. I'll just make sure he doesn't eat to many lizards and definitely gets some super worm and roaches in him. Btw he also eats grapes and fruits from my fridge.

My Male veiled chameleon has escaped in my trees a few times but always comes back after a few months. The other day I caught him after not seeing him for 9 months. He's kinda skinny now and seems to have healed from some sort of wound on his back but anyway I wanna fatten him up before I let him run around again or anything so I've been feeding him anoles he can eat like 3 a day. He is caged outside and gets natural and artificial light but I'm not sure if he can digest them well enough. So is he able to digest these properly? And is it bad for him to eat these everyday?
Do you live in Florida? Is he store-bought? It's unethical to purchase a pet and then let them fend for themselves. You need to take responsibility for the animal that you purchased. Natural sunlight is one of the best things out there for chams, but it also depends on temperature and climate. Even though veiled chameleons are surviving in Florida, it doesn't mean that they are happy during the cold snaps. They are solely surviving and passing on their genes. Any animal hobbyist's goal should be for their animal to thrive and not just survive.

He is getting skinny because he is not in his natural habitat. There is not enough food. You need to capture him and bring him back inside, or keep him in an outdoor cage, so you can provide him adequate food.

When you own an animal, it is your responsibility to provide them with the best care possible. This is not simply letting your cham fend for himself and potentially starve. If you are not up to the task, you need to rehome him.

In regards to "fattening" him up. There is no reason to feed fatty foods. You need to feed him a good staple feeder such as crickets, dubia roaches, and black soldier fly larvae and cycle in hornworms, silkworms, and some super worms. If you give him a good insectivorous diet, he will regain weight on his own. Feeder lizards are high in protein and too many can cause gout.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a troll. If you no longer care for your animal, you need to rehome him. If you do care for him, you need to capture him and put him back in an appropriately sized cage so you can give him the proper amount of food.

Do you live in Florida? Is he store-bought? It's unethical to purchase a pet and then let them fend for themselves. You need to take responsibility for the animal that you purchased. Natural sunlight is one of the best things out there for chams, but it also depends on temperature and climate. Even though veiled chameleons are surviving in Florida, it doesn't mean that they are happy during the cold snaps. They are solely surviving and passing on their genes. Any animal hobbyist's goal should be for their animal to thrive and not just survive.

He is getting skinny because he is not in his natural habitat. There is not enough food. You need to capture him and bring him back inside, or keep him in an outdoor cage, so you can provide him adequate food.

When you own an animal, it is your responsibility to provide them with the best care possible. This is not simply letting your cham fend for himself and potentially starve. If you are not up to the task, you need to rehome him.

In regards to "fattening" him up. There is no reason to feed fatty foods. You need to feed him a good staple feeder such as crickets, dubia roaches, and black soldier fly larvae and cycle in hornworms, silkworms, and some super worms. If you give him a good insectivorous diet, he will regain weight on his own. Feeder lizards are high in protein and too many can cause gout.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a troll. If you no longer care for your animal, you need to rehome him. If you do care for him, you need to capture him and put him back in an appropriately sized cage so you can give him the proper amount of food.
He was wild caught as a baby. But I keep him because he is invasive to Florida. Rn has in a 2 foot by 2 foot 4 foot tall cage I built. He has a large dripper and a 2 heat bulbs hanging above the cage along with his Uvb. I'll post some pics Later

He didn't like the camera

Attachments

• 20210327_084105.jpg
    20210327_084105.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210327_084124.jpg
    20210327_084124.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210327_084143.jpg
    20210327_084143.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210327_084149.jpg
    20210327_084149.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 90
Allowing him to escape and go missing—however you choose to couch it—for months at a time is not keeping him. After nine months, it may not even be the same animal. In fact, allowing this is tantamount to releasing an invasive species into the wild. You're likely breaking the law.

Plus, he doesn't even look that skinny. @Beman what do you think about his weight?

Though, it is hard to tell his weight when puffed up.
He does not look too thin to me. Casque is holding weight. Poor guy looks like he has been through it though. :(

I would feed normal amount 3 feeders 3 days a week with proper supplementation.

Better?
He's been eating roaches and super worms for a few days now. He's pooping so I don't think he's constipated

Attachments

• 20210330_171220.jpg
    20210330_171220.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210330_170926.jpg
    20210330_170926.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom