feeding my 3-4 month fem baby cham

charchar

im a new mom of a baby cham, ive researched all the ways to feed her, but with her being young i worry. the first couple days i had her she would eat around six crickets out of tongs. after those couple days we got some new plants and fixed her cage exactly how i wanted it, since then shes stopped eating out of tongs. we started just letting about the crickets free roam around the cage, and she seems to like eating them that way. we do half in the morning a few in the afternoon and whatever is left of the 12-15 in the evening, but since i dont see her eat all her crickets i get worried that shes not eating enough. ive looked into changing to cup feeding but im worried we will end up with the same issue if the crickets jump out.

That type of feeder can fairly easily be made from a restaurant take-out container, some plastic canvas from a craft store, and leftover mister tubing or wire insulation.
I can't find the thread (anybody?), but it was brilliantly simple.

1613709101808.png
+
1613709028827.png
+
1613709300071.png

• Cut the lid of the take-out container in half from long side to long side.
  • Cut a length of tubing as long as the cut edge of above container.
  • Slit the tubing, and put it on the cut edge to create a bead to prevent the sharp edge from cutting chameleon.
  • Cut a piece of plastic canvas to fit the inside bottom of the container, and glue into place.
  • Put the cover on the container & mount vertically in enclosure.

This works pretty much the same as a shooting gallery feeder except that it doesn't rely on using the enclosure screen for the run. Feeder is self-contained, and doesn't have to be mounted on the screened enclosure door. :)

That type of feeder can fairly easily be made from a restaurant take-out container, some plastic canvas from a craft store, and leftover mister tubing or wire insulation.
I can't find the thread (anybody?), but it was brilliantly simple.

View attachment 293125+View attachment 293124+View attachment 293126
  • Cut the lid of the take-out container in half from long side to long side.
  • Cut a length of tubing as long as the cut edge of above container.
  • Slit the tubing, and put it on the cut edge to create a bead to prevent the sharp edge from cutting chameleon.
  • Cut a piece of plastic canvas to fit the inside bottom of the container, and glue into place.
  • Put the cover on the container & mount vertically in enclosure.

This works pretty much the same as a shooting gallery feeder except that it doesn't rely on using the enclosure screen for the run. Feeder is self-contained, and doesn't have to be mounted on the screened enclosure door. :)
I will say my cham hated this, he went 3 days without eating bc he wouldnt eat from this thing lol, stubborn. I had to make another out of a vinegar bottle lol.

Attachments

• 16137393680767576169731142276872.jpg
    16137393680767576169731142276872.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 96
I will say my cham hated this, he went 3 days without eating bc he wouldnt eat from this thing lol, stubborn. I had to make another out of a vinegar bottle lol.
We seem to be opposites. I tried the vinegar/H2O2 bottles—went through almost a dozen before chucking them. :LOL:

I cobbled one together out of 2"or 3" PVC like these (mine's not as pretty).
(I'd go measure it, but it's currently in use, and I hate to distrub [sic] him during mealtime.)
He took to it in a day. He investigated, and found food (live bugs) inside. Now I can tell when he's hungry (not that I don't feed him a couple times a day) because he vultches over the thing.

We've been getting far too much take-out during this pandemic 😷, so I've got a stack of the containers (in case I mess up again—as I am wont to do... :rolleyes: ) and thought I'd try the above idea. (Wish I could find the thread... 😖 )

We seem to be opposites. I tried the vinegar/H2O2 bottles—went through almost a dozen before chucking them. :LOL:

I cobbled one together out of 2"or 3" PVC like these (mine's not as pretty).
(I'd go measure it, but it's currently in use, and I hate to distrub [sic] him during mealtime.)
He took to it in a day. He investigated, and found food (live bugs) inside. Now I can tell when he's hungry (not that I don't feed him a couple times a day) because he vultches over the thing.

We've been getting far too much take-out during this pandemic 😷, so I've got a stack of the containers (in case I mess up again—as I am wont to do... :rolleyes: ) and thought I'd try the above idea. (Wish I could find the thread... 😖 )
😂 yeah my baby can be stubborn, he didnt like the metal bird feeder bowl type thing either, hes very picky.

Attachments

• 16137491425253800357246877307397.jpg
    16137491425253800357246877307397.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 99
I use a full throttle feeder and it works nicely... however it did take my cham a little adjustment to it. 🤣🤣 He now knows where it's at and I also see him eat everyday from it. I just showed him I was putting bugs into it and he eventually went over there to check it out. It also keeps them in pretty well. I havent had any escapes.

why are chams so darn stubborn?? 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom