Feeding dubia's from a colony

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
For those that have a colony, how do you gutload and feed your roaches off to your chameleon?

My entire colony always has access to this roach chow and I throw in random fruits and veggies, and water crystals for hydration. I saw some posts/videos where some create ice cubes of all types of fruits and veggies and use that for gut load, which is awesome from a convenience/waste perspective. Do you guys use a separate bin to hold your to-be-fed-off roaches and gutload those there..maybe pulling roaches from your colony bin once a week? I think it would be wasteful for my entire colony to get the gutload cubes if I only want those being fed off to have it. Any pointers?

Thank you

I pull the night before what I am going to feed the next morning and gut load. Now don't get me wrong I still feed all my bugs everyday but this helps with knowing the ones I pulled had a chance to eat.

If you are referring to the Flukers Orange Cubes those are CRAP. Get Bug Burger, Super Load or Cricket Crack

No, as stated above, I am going to make my own with fruits/veggies/bee pollen..possibly gelatin but on the fence until I do more research. I already have bug burger and may sprinkle some of that into the slurry.
The big burger is great to add in . I use either bug burger or cricket crack , with all my veggies , and fruits . You should have great luck with your plan .

Yes I make my own gut load and then pour it into ice trays and freeze it. Pop them out and put in a freezer bag then pull out a cube at a time
When you pull out a handful the day before, do they feast on the cubes? My entire colony is fed well, I have a feeling they are not going to feast on these cubes since they will not be starving the day before being eaten.

You pull the feeders out as stated, in a separate container the night before. Put in the gut load. They will eat. Feed off the next morning

I treat my dubia bin like a compost heap, all extra veg go in, and i have a dry gut load that i sprinkle in every few days. There are not the chosen few that get "the good stuff" the day before feeding. Though it is interesting after "taco night" when the dubias pop and avocado green goes everywhere.

All my bugs get fed equally. Never said the ones that get pulled are fed the "good stuff" I don't know where you got that in my post
I got the same from your post, Chameleomom. Above you said that you pull a handful out that get fed your cubes (the good stuff) to be fed off the next day?

Hoping to keep this as simple as possible, wondering if I should pull out a weeks worth at a time into a container and give them the good stuff. I'm thinking maybe an every other day feeding of 10 or so dubia's now that he's a year old? This way I am only going into my colony bin say on a Sunday, instead of every other day.

She said her entire colony gets fed regularly and she pulls out the night before and gut loads to ensure the specific ones she is going to feed get a chance to eat.

I pull the night before what I am going to feed the next morning and gut load. Now don't get me wrong I still feed all my bugs everyday but this helps with knowing the ones I pulled had a chance to eat.
Where did I say the one I pulled just got the special cubes? I didn't.

Chameleomom, you maintain your entire colony off of the cubes, or only those that are on death row?

Question, why not just provide gutload for the entire colony and call it a day? Why the need to get fancy with it and pull specific ones the night before to feed? Just throw your gutload in there and you're good.
I understand @Chameleomom reasonings being the peace of mind that those feeders have in fact eaten, but I also feel like if you're providing enough gutload and the feeders want to eat, they would have eaten along with the rest of the colony as well, no?

I'm not trying to make it hard..just trying to understand the ideal way. In the below video the guy states his bowl of cubes last him a few months (4:00). So if you are dropping in a cube a day to maintain your entire colony, I don't understand how say 30 cubes last him months. Unless you drop in a cube every 4-5 days?

Just something I have always done. Males it easier in the morning. I know what I am going to feed.
Oh for sure I can see how that would make it easier to just quickly feed and head out the door for work. I have to always save like 15 minutes of my morning so I can get Pestos feeders together.
I just wasnt sure if there was a specific benefit to it, or if my feeders not eating properly even if there is food available to them is something I should be concerned about

I know that video you watched. I only fill my ice trays up part way so it makes a perfect size cube for every day. I fill 6 trays

Back
Top Bottom