Feeding an earwig

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Can I feed my chameleon an earwig?? Just caught it inside I’m the house
Are the pincher things on them dangerous?

Ok you know what, I won’t feed it just to be safe. I put it in with my crickets as clean up crew. (Hopefully that’s ok ?) and it seems to be eating the dead crickets!!!

With respect to the points above, many of us have chameleons outside that regularly eat wild insects. @Brodybreaux25 from what I remember, would almost exclusively feed his chams 100% wild caught insects in Louisiana and never had a problem. Also, many insects will carry parasites, that doesn't mean it will/can infect your chameleon(I'm no parasite expert either, just a basic understanding). If parasites are a worry my suggestion would be to stop feeding crickets as they're the most responsible by a longshot lol.

Earwigs feed on dead things. My cham eats them occasionally because a wild colony of them live in his feeder bin(it's a big cage). They've been there 2 years and he's had no problems. To be fair though, you don't know what it was getting into in your house, I'd actually prefer to feed things that have only been outside in the woods and wherever.

With respect to the points above, many of us have chameleons outside that regularly eat wild insects. @Brodybreaux25 from what I remember, would almost exclusively feed his chams 100% wild caught insects in Louisiana and never had a problem. Also, many insects will carry parasites, that doesn't mean it will/can infect your chameleon(I'm no parasite expert either, just a basic understanding). If parasites are a worry my suggestion would be to stop feeding crickets as they're the most responsible by a longshot lol.

Earwigs feed on dead things. My cham eats them occasionally because a wild colony of them live in his feeder bin(it's a big cage). They've been there 2 years and he's had no problems. To be fair though, you don't know what it was getting into in your house, I'd actually prefer to feed things that have only been outside in the woods and wherever.
Parasites and crickets... hmmmm... well I would love to stop feeding crickets BUT Stormy LOVES them. ??? it’s a shame that crickets are his favorites

I recall reading an article that discussed the nutritional value of “outside” bugs, in that insects exposed to natural sunlight and UVB process nutrients differently (just as our chams do with proper UVB (calcium, vit a, etc). An “outside” insect would be able to better absorb nutrients like vitamin A and pass it on to the predator (cham, bird, etc) that eats them.

I suspect outside bugs “smell” differently, as I get a more enthusiastic reaction from my chameleons when i feed them an insect thats been outside vs inside. Same bugs - I have kept several of my feeders both inside and outside in my greenhouse.

I recall reading an article that discussed the nutritional value of “outside” bugs, in that insects exposed to natural sunlight and UVB process nutrients differently (just as our chams do with proper UVB (calcium, vit a, etc). An “outside” insect would be able to better absorb nutrients like vitamin A and pass it on to the predator (cham, bird, etc) that eats them.

I suspect outside bugs “smell” differently, as I get a more enthusiastic reaction from my chameleons when i feed them an insect thats been outside vs inside. Same bugs - I have kept several of my feeders both inside and outside in my greenhouse.
Interesting

I hate those things, seen one not to long ago in my Bugatorium and killed it right away while going oooohhhhh!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom