feeding amounts?

MangoTango

Established Member
I’m having trouble trying to distinguish feeding amounts. my female veiled cham is about 8 months old, and she had her first clutch 2 months ago, laying 45 eggs. I know I should feed her less because I don’t want her laying that much next time, but she’s still young and I don’t want to underfeed her. I give her 3 dubias a day but she always runs to it like she’s starving , and her casque will still seem slightly sunken after she eats. ik the females alwayssss seem hungry 😝 but i’m trying to make sure i’m doing what’s right for her. lmk !

IMO you are overfeeding for her already having a clutch. You want to drop her back to 3 feeders 3 days a week and ensure that her basking temp is sitting 78-80max. Reduced temp helps with her metabolism so that she is not as hungry. They are bottomless pits and will always eat no matter how many feeders they are given. But if we do not restrict it then early death is a very real possibility. Dying from complications with egg binding is high risk when they are laying huge clutches. And 45 is a ton. Trying to get them to lay closer to the 20 mark is healthier for them in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom