Feeders harder to find for a new coming panther owner

maplejwl

Panther coming soon but I’m noticing most of the sponsors are out of stock on most of their feeders. Dubiaroaches.com has Dubias and Nutrigrubs Aka BSFL but I’m honestly wanting more variety. I don’t want to feed crickets as its become my opinion that they don't really offer any nutritional value. I was looking for silkworms as I’ve read they are great!!! Are three feeders enough variety for now and how much should I purchase per month?

Hi Welcome to the forum. Are you getting a baby? Has it been getting crickets? This is the issue. Most breeders feed mainly crickets so trying to switch a young one over to something else tends to not work out well. You can incorporate other feeders and should but you should not take away the main staple they are used to IMO.

I am not sure where your getting that they are low in nutritional value though... They are actually lower in fat then most feeders and have a good amount of protein to them.

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

Great job on never getting started with crickets, they really are a pain... Yes, 3 feeders is enough, but maybe replace 1 or 2 of the 3 feeders your a feeding every month. As for how many to buy, I would say get ~100 small dubias to see if he accepts them, and then get ~300 smalls and 500 adults for a self sustaining colony. Then maybe 500 BSFL. The ones he doesn't eat before they pupate you can toss into the enclosure (if bioactive) and they will turn into flies. As for silkies, I'm not sure. I never got them because i feel like they are too expensive imo...

Edit: Since it is a baby and the breeder probably fed crickets in the duration of his stay there, wait a few months before switching his feeders up.

Last edited:
Hi Welcome to the forum. Are you getting a baby? Has it been getting crickets? This is the issue. Most breeders feed mainly crickets so trying to switch a young one over to something else tends to not work out well. You can incorporate other feeders and should but you should not take away the main staple they are used to IMO.

I am not sure where your getting that they are low in nutritional value though... They are actually lower in fat then most feeders and have a good amount of protein to them.

View attachment 278893
I see. I have just heard that besides what they are gutloaded they offer little value for Chams. I am getting a female from Kammerflauge I am so excited!! I think they feed their Chams mostly crickets so I may not need to cold turkey them.

I see. I have just heard that besides what they are gutloaded they offer little value for Chams. I am getting a female from Kammerflauge I am so excited!! I think they feed their Chams mostly crickets so I may not need to cold turkey them.
It is up to you but I would not take them out... Kammerflauge does feed their babies crickets.

Great job on never getting started with crickets, they really are a pain... Yes, 3 feeders is enough, but maybe replace 1 or 2 of the 3 feeders your a feeding every month. As for how many to buy, I would say get ~100 small dubias to see if he accepts them, and then get ~300 smalls and 500 adults for a self sustaining colony. Then maybe 500 BSFL. The ones he doesn't eat before they pupate you can toss into the enclosure (if bioactive) and they will turn into flies. As for silkies, I'm not sure. I never got them because i feel like they are too expensive imo...

Edit: Since it is a baby and the breeder probably fed crickets in the duration of his stay there, wait a few months before switching his feeders up.
Thanks!! That was another reason I was not wanting to get them. I think I will slowly take her off crickets. She will already be under enough shock from the move.

Back
Top Bottom