Feeders for Ambilobe

missjay78

I know this may sound like a silly question but I am new to chameleons and about to be a new owner in the next week and a half. I ordered chameleon kit and blue bar amilobe from lllreptile.com and I am so excited and want to be prepared! Anyways, was wondering how you all house your feeder crickets and worms to keep them alive until they are used. I ask because I'm guessing they are bought in bulk.

I know this may sound like a silly question but I am new to chameleons and about to be a new owner in the next week and a half. I ordered chameleon kit and blue bar amilobe from lllreptile.com and I am so excited and want to be prepared! Anyways, was wondering how you all house your feeder crickets and worms to keep them alive until they are used. I ask because I'm guessing they are bought in bulk.

I dont house worms, but I do crickets. I have mine in a critter keeper thing. I put some egg carton pieces in there and their gutload. I buy 10 doz at a time. and they do just fine. if you are ordering in bulk though, I would suggest like a big plastic bin with a hole cut out of the lid then covered with mesh.

I have 3 main feeders I house (Crickets, Dubias, and Lateralis) all in 64 Qt. Sterilite Tubs. I have breeding colonies set up for the Dubia and Lateralis, I buy the crickets in bulk (not worth breeding them in my opinion). The Cricket tub should be cleaned every other day, Lateralis at least once a week, and Dubias very depending on the colony size I do mine every other week. All are fed daily and uneaten food from the day before is removed.

I also get Hornedworms which I cycle in and out of the fridge so they don't grow as fast. Superworms are kept in a deli cup with food and put carrots in for moister.

lll reptile have great lil baby ambilobe's heres mine , purchased about a month ago

male blue bar ambilobe...i had to look for a male as most of the guy\gals working there arent to good at spotting the baby male panthers..

..fuzzy pic is today (sorry its from my phone)

he is healthy, friendly, eats and drinks from my hand!! lll reptile rocks!!

Attachments

• 0503111436-01.jpg
    0503111436-01.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 120

I have a veiled and i buy my feeders when needed. Have a good supply Around the area here so if one outlet is short of crickets etc not far to find another that does have them. Oh by the way i live in North Germany ;) But you must spend nearly as much time feeding the food as you do your chameleon. as has been said you need to gut load them. Takes a few minutes to put some crickets in a feed dish. Takes half an hour to make sure the crickets have food water etc ;)

I house my crickets in a large tote from walmart that cost me 5 dollars. The mesh I used to seal it with(a hot glue gun) was from an old reptile cage cover.

Their easy to gutload and take care of. Toss in some carrots, fresh veggies ( not iceberg ) with dry fluckers gutload and their fine. Use egg crates and paper towel rolls for housing. Just try to clear away as much dead bodies as possible each day or they smell.

I buy my worms from a local who breeds then. Horn worms are kept in their cup and go in and out of fridge. Silkworms I feed every 2/3days to try and keep their size down. Superworms stay out of the fridge in oat bran. Mealworms are kept in the fridge in oats as well. Phoenix worms are kept in some sort of soil (not sure what it is) and can be stored in like a wine fridge or somewhere that is 50-60 degrees to slow their growth into flies.

I don't do roaches they kinda scare me. I'm hoping to get butter worms soon.

I wouldn't buy king worms/ larger superworms for a baby chameleon. And only feed baby supers as a treat on occasion.

lll reptile have great lil baby ambilobe's heres mine , purchased about a month ago

male blue bar ambilobe...i had to look for a male as most of the guy\gals working there arent to good at spotting the baby male panthers..

I have asked for a male and they said they can't guarantee a male since they have a hard time sexing them. How did you get to pick yours out? Did you go to their store? I am located in Arizona so that would not be a possibility for me :(

Ps. Seeing your baby from llreptile has me so excited!! I should get my kit tomorrow and I'll get to set everything up and I should have my baby by Friday! But your little one is adorable and I feel better seeing one from them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Since I only have on cham to feed, and my other reptiles don't eat the same thing, I don't really store bugs in bulk.

I buy 50 crix at a time, and just keep them in a critter keeper from petsmart with an egg carton cut up into thirds. I give them a slice of potato every day and a little saucer of flukers dry gutload from petsmart. The ones I am going to feed, I take out in the morning and put them in a tupperware with the high quality gutload, and feed the cham throughout the day.

For worms, I just buy the containers from petco, and change the stuff they are in to organic oatmeal. I pull the ones I am going to feed out in the morning as well, and put them in another tupperware with some high quality gutload.

It works for me because I don't have to buy a ton at once, and I don't have huge bins full of bugs lol

Back
Top Bottom