Feeder varieties for growing panther

Understandable, my wife was not pleased the few times I dropped roaches and the cats found them :oops:. I actually stayed away from chameleons for years because I initially got the impression they needed roaches to thrive(not true, they need variety though) and that freaked me out. Eventually I figured it was just the stigma. People even tell me now, you better not let those get out, they'll infest your house. Meanwhile, there are like 5? Species that infest houses out of the thousands and rarely does anyone use those species for feeders. I guess since crickets don't infest houses, we don't associate them with filth, but they are probably the most unhygienic and nasty insects we keep as feeders lol.
Here, here! Most feeder roaches are a far cry from the pest species. Even limiting yourself to non-climbing, tropical species leaves you with a ton of options. Furthermore, most roach species are gutloadable par excellence. Their digestive tracts are far longer than those of crickets, meaning longer nutrient storage and digestion. Of course, I’ve heard it said that common gutloading practices are silly, futile, and “a fairy tale”, because chameleons can’t digest plant material such as squash, spirulina, etc. But, since there is empirical evidence demonstrating that chameleons can and do make use of gut contents such as squash, spirulina, etc., when the insects have already done the digestive work for them, I am quite happy to use well-gutloaded roaches—with their long digestive tract—as frequent feeders.

Here, here! Most feeder roaches are a far cry from the pest species. Even limiting yourself to non-climbing, tropical species leaves you with a ton of options. Furthermore, most roach species are gutloadable par excellence. Their digestive tracts are far longer than those of crickets, meaning longer nutrient storage and digestion. Of course, I’ve heard it said that common gutloading practices are silly, futile, and “a fairy tale”, because chameleons can’t digest plant material such as squash, spirulina, etc. But, since there is empirical evidence demonstrating that chameleons can and do make use of gut contents such as squash, spirulina, etc., when the insects have already done the digestive work for them, I am quite happy to use well-gutloaded roaches—with their long digestive tract—as frequent feeders.

For sure. Roaches also have the ability to store a lot of nutrients for the longterm. I'd imagine they are like a superfood to chameleons. Regarding spirulina, I was reading that it's very easy to digest. Dusting insects with it may be enough to get it into chams.

I didn't get to finish my post and I apparently must have hit the button when setting my phone down to eat lol anyway I've never heard anyone have to pin bsfl only superworms due to bsfl being soft bodied and easily digestible.

I stopped feeding BSFL because they would come out whole and some were still alive. I do feed the flies though

Banana roache colony has grown like wildfire but they are a bit tricky as males are climbers and flyers, although somewhat reluctant. I grab an egg crate from the colony, refrigerate a few minutes, and separate the males.

Placed in smooth feeder cups with a small amount of silicon near the rim, they do well. Perfect size and color, Chams go crazy for them. Only feeding males is extra insurance should a few find an exit, but they seem to stay near the humidity of the cages and don't seem to want to truly escape.

I keep soldier fly larvae in cups with small holes in the lids so the flies hatch and escape periodically. Works well to provide periodic food should you need to leave for an extended period of time.

I feed roaches daily to my Cham and he loves them. If I'm using bug burger, do I need to gutload with the veggies and fruits or does it have the nutrients in it?

I am looking for input on the variety of feeders for my 4-5 month old Ambilobe/Ambanja mix.

Currently he eats Dubia Roches and Crickets without much hesitation. I would be open to introducing more variety, but I am pretty opposed to mealworms and superworms (other than maybe a treat once a week) due to the lack of nutrition these provide.

Do you guys have any suggestions or are crickets and dubias a good enough variety for him?
Black soldiers are working for me so are Dubai’s and crickets

Thanks! Yeah I've been using BSFL, Dubias, and hornworms now.

I've got some silkworms that I'm waiting to get a bit bigger also. I think I'm moving away from crickets
Yup crickets are not as good as Dubai’s and etc make sure to limit down on the hornworms the a great source for hydrati9n

Yup crickets are not as good as Dubai’s and etc make sure to limit down on the hornworms the a great source for hydrati9n

Yeah I've been giving him at most 5 in a day. I figure they're good for bulking him up a bit since he's growing and hydration because he has a very minor case of edema at the moment that I'm trying to flush out

Back
Top Bottom