Feeder Sizing for Juvenile Panther

Azurite

Hello!

I am new to the forums so apologies if this should be elsewhere or is a bit of a newbie question. I have owned a couple chameleons in the past but it has been many years since my last one. My wife and I recently pre-ordered a panther chameleon from Kammerflage Kreations that was born in September and set to arrive December-January timeframe. We have the cage setup and ready to go and I recently began looking deeply at what diet we want to provide for him. With chameleons in the past we had done a simple cricket and mealworm diet, but it seems like there are a ton of different insect choices now that are pretty easily available as well. Seeing as this is our first panther I wanted to check with people and see what insects you would recommend for a juvenile as well as the sizes and feeding schedule you would recommend.

Based on what I have found in research my initial thoughts are a diet consisting of black soldier fly larva, maybe dubia roaches (those seem to be hit or miss with chams from what I have seen) and the occasional hornworm. I also ordered Rep-Cal Calcium (phosphorus and D3 Free), Zoo Med Reptivite (without D3), and Rep-Cal Calcium with D3. From what I can tell it seems like a juvenile cham will eat every other day (looks like 7 - 9 insects?) and those meals should be dusted with the calcium without d3 and then provide a meal with the d3 calcium or the multivitamin every couple of weeks. There is a lot of advice out there about this subject though so not sure if that seems correct.

I think we are going to try both a hand feeding and a bowl feeding approach as well if that matters at all.

Again sorry if this is a newbie question but we just want to make sure we do everything we possibly can for our little guy!

Thank you and have a great day!

Hello!

I am new to the forums so apologies if this should be elsewhere or is a bit of a newbie question. I have owned a couple chameleons in the past but it has been many years since my last one. My wife and I recently pre-ordered a panther chameleon from Kammerflage Kreations that was born in September and set to arrive December-January timeframe. We have the cage setup and ready to go and I recently began looking deeply at what diet we want to provide for him. With chameleons in the past we had done a simple cricket and mealworm diet, but it seems like there are a ton of different insect choices now that are pretty easily available as well. Seeing as this is our first panther I wanted to check with people and see what insects you would recommend for a juvenile as well as the sizes and feeding schedule you would recommend.

Based on what I have found in research my initial thoughts are a diet consisting of black soldier fly larva, maybe dubia roaches (those seem to be hit or miss with chams from what I have seen) and the occasional hornworm. I also ordered Rep-Cal Calcium (phosphorus and D3 Free), Zoo Med Reptivite (without D3), and Rep-Cal Calcium with D3. From what I can tell it seems like a juvenile cham will eat every other day (looks like 7 - 9 insects?) and those meals should be dusted with the calcium without d3 and then provide a meal with the d3 calcium or the multivitamin every couple of weeks. There is a lot of advice out there about this subject though so not sure if that seems correct.

I think we are going to try both a hand feeding and a bowl feeding approach as well if that matters at all.

Again sorry if this is a newbie question but we just want to make sure we do everything we possibly can for our little guy!

Thank you and have a great day!
Hi there welcome to the forum. Your going to be doing feeders that are 1/4 inch or size small. for up to 6 months you will feed as much as he wants every day. This can be upwards of 15 a day and more. It does not reduce down until they are 6 months old then your looking at 5 every other day. Then when they hit the 1 year mark 3 every other day. No mealworms they are low in nutritional value.
I personally prefer the arcadia supplements.
Here is some more info for you.
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi there welcome to the forum. Your going to be doing feeders that are 1/4 inch or size small. for up to 6 months you will feed as much as he wants every day. This can be upwards of 15 a day and more. It does not reduce down until they are 6 months old then your looking at 5 every other day. Then when they hit the 1 year mark 3 every other day. No mealworms they are low in nutritional value.
I personally prefer the arcadia supplements.
Here is some more info for you.
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Would this apply to veileds as well?

My Rico is a big boy at 5 minths and he easily eats 3/4" to adult size crickets he eats about 6-10 a day right now
So if it were me I would kick him over to every other day feedings of 5 feeders. Then at 9 months kick him down to 2-3 feeders every other day. I have an overweight cham. It is not fun to try to get them to lose weight or the health issues that come with an obese cham.

So if it were me I would kick him over to every other day feedings of 5 feeders. Then at 9 months kick him down to 2-3 feeders every other day. I have an overweight cham. It is not fun to try to get them to lose weight or the health issues that come with an obese cham.
Ok perfect I will cut back to 5 feeders every other day thank you very much :)

Back
Top Bottom