Feeder Help!!

Zilla23

Established Member
my cham shipment has been delayed twice now due to weather issues, I was trying to be proactive and order his feeders so everything would get here around the same time but now he is delayed again. I have crickets, black fly larvae and horn worms. My problem is that I received the feeders four days ago and my cham is not supposed to be here until Thursday now. These freaking horn worms have eaten themselves into giant fat bastards and now I think they will be too big for my cham, he is a juvenile around 4 months old. Is there anything I can do? They started out the perfect size, I did not realize they would grow THAT fast!!

Same thing happened to me, I had no idea hornworms grew so fast. Found out (too late) if you keep them at around 55 degrees it slows their growth way down. A wine cooler is perfect, fridge is too cold although I did read that some people put them in the fridge just overnight. I've got another shipment on the way and I'm going to keep them in the garage.
So what type of cham are you getting?

Same thing happened to me, I had no idea hornworms grew so fast. Found out (too late) if you keep them at around 55 degrees it slows their growth way down. A wine cooler is perfect, fridge is too cold although I did read that some people put them in the fridge just overnight. I've got another shipment on the way and I'm going to keep them in the garage.
So what type of cham are you getting?
a male ambilobe panther, I'm SO excited, just got bummed because the weather screwed up my shipments of my set up, so that delayed me getting everything ready for him, then there was another issue on FlChams side where they missed the cut off to overnight him last night so he can't send him out until Wednesday, oh well, I guess now the question is what the heck am I supposed to do with these fat horn worms?

a male ambilobe panther, I'm SO excited, just got bummed because the weather screwed up my shipments of my set up, so that delayed me getting everything ready for him, then there was another issue on FlChams side where they missed the cut off to overnight him last night so he can't send him out until Wednesday, oh well, I guess now the question is what the heck am I supposed to do with these fat horn worms?
I put the ones that were too big for him to eat in the freezer to kill them , didn't know what else to do. As you can probably tell this is my first cham - he's an ambanja and about 5 1/2 months old now. One question I'd like to know is can a grown male panther eat those HUGE adult hornworms?

HEHE omg I think almost all of us have had the hornworm oh crap experience. Look at this link and scroll down it shows their growth rate and cycle. http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/hornworms
You could try to pupate them and turn them into moths. But I am not sure about feeding one to a 4 month old. I will let others chime in on that one. I took mine to my local reptile store and they took them off my hands :)

HEHE omg I think almost all of us have had the hornworm oh crap experience. Look at this link and scroll down it shows their growth rate and cycle. http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/hornworms
You could try to pupate them and turn them into moths. But I am not sure about feeding one to a 4 month old. I will let others chime in on that one. I took mine to my local reptile store and they took them off my hands :)
Oh that's a good idea! They've got some big bearded dragons at my local petco that would probably have enjoyed them.

Oh that's a good idea! They've got some big bearded dragons at my local petco that would probably have enjoyed them.
Yeah I was doing what you did with the how the heck do I kill these things. My daughter wouldnt let me because she said they look like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. LOL

Yeah I was doing what you did with the how the heck do I kill these things. My daughter wouldnt let me because she said they look like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. LOL
I guess I will put mine out in the bird feeder cup I have outside and let the birds have at them :)

I can attest to birds liking them, if you dont want to return them to a reptile store. My starling is very happy to brutally murder any insects in her enclosure, regardless of size haha!

man, my cham can take down even the biggest hornworms now I'm so happy I don't have to keep wasting my $16 on each container because he eats them all!!!

Crazy how fast they grow! Feeders that get too big for my cham go to my frogs. Too big for my frogs go to my chickens, theyll eat any size anything, lol.

FYI -- I just received a shipment of 500 DEAD CRICKETS due to weather delays! They are sending me out a new shipment at no cost. It looked like a small pile of black sticks by the time I opened it up. GROSS! That happened yesterday. Good think I am not out yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom