Feeder Grasshopper Expansion

Georgia is kind of in the middle of the Southeast, so it may be a good bet. I know lots of reptile keepers in the area, and it's one of the states that folks are mass-moving to right now so the numbers will only grow.

🧐 Pennsylvania?
This one is next but I'm having some issues with the main species I want to send there not being in the USDA database lol. Trying to work that out with them at the moment.

Georgia is kind of in the middle of the Southeast, so it may be a good bet. I know lots of reptile keepers in the area, and it's one of the states that folks are mass-moving to right now so the numbers will only grow.
Hmm makes sense (y)

This one is next but I'm having some issues with the main species I want to send there not being in the USDA database lol. Trying to work that out with them at the moment.

Hmm makes sense (y)
Are there a lot of other customers in PA? Just curious, as much as I’d love a site that ships cool insects here, I feel like 90% of the people I know are in CA,TX, and FL lol.

Are there a lot of other customers in PA? Just curious, as much as I’d love a site that ships cool insects here, I feel like 90% of the people I know are in CA,TX, and FL lol.
I have no idea lol. I definitely get a ton of messages from FL though so I should probably get to that at some point. Still running tests on some species for that region before I decide on one.

Does Maryland include Washington DC for shipping or is that separate?

Noted :)

“Does Maryland include Washington DC for shipping or is that separate?”

No, I wouldn’t think separate. I would imagine D.C. would be difficult due to local and Federal jurisdictions sometimes overlapping.

Hi, I'm looking to expand availability for feeder grasshoppers since they've been a big hit. Currently just have California and Texas. I have to apply to each state individually, so it takes a while and I'll be doing just a few at a time. Let me know which states to focus on :)
Florida seems like a good one.

Hi, I'm looking to expand availability for feeder grasshoppers since they've been a big hit. Currently just have California and Texas. I have to apply to each state individually, so it takes a while and I'll be doing just a few at a time. Let me know which states to focus on :)

Marylandddddddd :D

Do you need a permit for the legal ones like differentials and the birds that were just deregulated a few years ago? (I forget which)

“Does Maryland include Washington DC for shipping or is that separate?”

No, I wouldn’t think separate. I would imagine D.C. would be difficult due to local and Federal jurisdictions sometimes overlapping.

Hmm can you get around that by shipping them to be held at a MD or NOVA fed ex facility?

I applied for USDA permits to ship to Florida a couple times and had no go with them.

I think I was doing the wrong species. I think rather than Schistocerca nitens maybe shipping Schistocerca americana. Dean have you got any legal colonies of Schistocerca americana?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Nope, because the species you're shipping out has to be native to the destination state AND your own state, so neither works. I just found that out recently as well. Unfortunately CA and FL don't share any Schistocerca species, so it might just be a no-go. The person I know who ships them to FL just does it illegally. I don't do this, so I'm sorry Floridians :LOL:

Marylandddddddd :D

Do you need a permit for the legal ones like differentials and the birds that were just deregulated a few years ago? (I forget which)
Differentials are deregulated but I don't really like them 😬 I should be able to get a MD permit for some bird hoppers though. We'll see...

Nope, because the species you're shipping out has to be native to the destination state AND your own state, so neither works. I just found that out recently as well. Unfortunately CA and FL don't share any Schistocerca species, so it might just be a no-go. The person I know who ships them to FL just does it illegally. I don't do this, so I'm sorry Floridians :LOL:
That is my protocol and is a good protocol. That is to stay with shipping native species only to area's that they are native too. Nobody wants to start an ecological disaster.

The one detail though is once you become a established credible grasshopper breeder sometimes the USDA allows breeding of invasive species. That is when done under strict guidelines and protocols. When you have achieved that level then maybe working with a colony of Schistocerca americana is an idea.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I need grasshoppers! Would love to try them out for my Chams.

Back
Top Bottom