Feeder Cups - Lets see them..

broderp

Avid Member
Looking for a little inspiration for a feeder cup.

In the past I have simply used a small critter tote and dropped feeders into it. The problem is Chams do not realize they are seeing thru the clear plastic, so they shoot at the sides.

Eventually they learn to climb up over the top, and I place the tote at the bottom so as they go down to get to it they have the proper approach vector..:)

I want to try something different, but have a space limit of a very green, plant full terrarium to find a spot to hang and use one. My new setup does not have any vines or twigs that lead to the ground, so it will need to hanging.

Any thoughts?

full

N
Looking for a little inspiration for a feeder cup.

In the past I have simply used a small critter tote and dropped feeders into it. The problem is Chams do not realize they are seeing thru the clear plastic, so they shoot at the sides.

Eventually they learn to climb up over the top, and I place the tote at the bottom so as they go down to get to it they have the proper approach vector..:)

I want to try something different, but have a space limit of a very green, plant full terrarium to find a spot to hang and use one. My new setup does not have any vines or twigs that lead to the ground, so it will need to hanging.

Any thoughts?

full
Nick Barta on this forum has some great hanging feeder cups!

yes or go to his website that just launched fullthrottlefeeders.com he has them on there as well i sugest you get his they are lightweight and can hang easy.

N

Nick Barta on this forum has some great hanging feeder cups!

yes or go to his website that just launched fullthrottlefeeders.com he has them on there as well i sugest you get his they are lightweight and can hang easy.

Yep, saw that and sent him a message. I also visited the web site (thanks for that Dragon1516!) I hope he can get back to me real soon with a shipping time frame. I need one by Wednesday. so I'm looking at overnight shipping or making one. I like his, but am still very interested to see what others have successfully used. (y)

i have used a shallow green Tupperware dish and put it on branches up high and they go for it but I'm going to be getting nicks cups they are genius and i assume would work great. But i haven't tried them out yet.

i have used a shallow green Tupperware dish and put it on branches up high and they go for it but I'm going to be getting nicks cups they are genius and i assume would work great. But i haven't tried them out yet.

I've seen variation of Nicks cups on this forum over the years, Many use to cut open a plastic container and hot glue a small mesh to the middle and drill some holes for drainage. Nick just took it to the next level and used what appears to be a PVC pipe cut into the shape. The end result looks great IMO and in the name of supporting a site sponsor, well worth the $16 if they are Cham safe. I'd like to know what they are painted with, and in my case the item description makes it sound like they are magnet mounted. Not good for a glass. Still, If I can get one in time, I want it. I'm sure it can be modified to hang on suction cups or something.

Well, time has run out for me on this project, but I came up with a solution that may work.

If all else fails, MAKE ONE! ;)

full

This started life as a coffee creamer container. The lid has aluminum mesh and the cutout section is reused as an insert that has more mesh hot glued to it. Makes for easy removal and cleaning. Probably wont last long without some modification, but it doesn't look half bad.

I may create a DIY thread if anyone is interested. Total cost: ZERO. I still need to make a stronger mount other than a suction cup, but I won't be able to work that until I have a Cham to test the height and overall function with.

Last edited:
Here's is my DIY. I bought a plastic soap holder thing and just used the very bottom piece and used silicone to attach the stick. Then I got a magnet set to put it up anywhere on the screen sides of my cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 128
if you wanted to buy something i recommend buying nick's cup at full throttle i love ordering things from him he has great customer service and everything that i have gotten has always gotten to me in 2 days.

How do insects such a crickets not jump out of the cups with mesh?

I use a large condiment cup snd twistie tied it to the side

I
How do insects such a crickets not jump out of the cups with mesh?

I use a large condiment cup snd twistie tied it to the side
as wondering the same as right now I'm using a Rubbermaid food container that I glued magnets to hold it on place and drilled holes to drained water if any goes on but crickets always jump out, it's about 5 inches tall and has a 7" pole in the middle so worms climb up. Ill give nicks cups a try next week and see if I get less escapees.

Well, time has run out for me on this project, but I came up with a solution that may work.
Looks good! You may need to support it more like you said. Ours tend to climb in and eat sometimes. Expect it to hold the weight of your chameleon.
Can't tell from the picture but can the bugs get behind the screen? That can cause your cham to strike and miss, not good for the tongue.

Last edited:
I still need to make a stronger mount other than a suction cup, but I won't be able to work that until I have a Cham to test the height and overall function with.

I like to use rare earth magnets (also have made them with creamer containers) to hold them up. Works really well, and easy to take on and off. Just be careful when attaching, so you don't crack the glass. The rare earth or neodymium magnets are really strong.

Here's is my DIY. I bought a plastic soap holder thing and just used the very bottom piece and used silicone to attach the stick. Then I got a magnet set to put it up anywhere on the screen sides of my cage.

I LIKE this idea. What do you feed with this?

I will be trying Nicks cups tomorrow they are coming in so i will know first hand how they work i expect they will do great.
How did this work out? Can you post a clearer picture of this cup than whats on the website? What can you tell about the paint?

I like to use rare earth magnets (also have made them with creamer containers) to hold them up. Works really well, and easy to take on and off. Just be careful when attaching, so you don't crack the glass. The rare earth or neodymium magnets are really strong.

I tried a different approach today and it worked out ok, magnets are a good idea but I didn't try that I didn't have any magnets.

Back
Top Bottom