Feeder colony suggestions

summerseeking

Avid Member
Hi all ❤️

So I’m expanding my dubia roach colonies from one medium sized bin to 3 large bioactive bins.

I will likely be breeding littles in the future ❤️ and I want to “grow” all their food in-house lol. My current feeder colonies include silks, hornworms and dubias. I buy black soilder fly larvae. Ive been thinking about trying to grow them outside in a vermaculture bin. I don’t feed crickets, super worms or mealworms. Are there any other feeder you guys grow and would suggest?

I’m gonna try my hand at fruit flys in the future. I need to learn more about how to. I’ve also thought about trying bean beetles. Anyone grow praying mantis or stick bugs?

Same here about breeding little babies in the future I'm not sure what feeders other than fruit flies and crickets would be beneficial at a young age .

@Fluffy_0103 scroll down the home page then click View more then you should see post thread
Screenshot_20210726-222811_Chrome.jpg
then click on it and then put your post in the area you think it belongs. If you get that far we can direct you from there . Welcome

@jamest0o0 @Hisserdude

For expanding feeders, id go with red runners, green banana roaches for sure.

For larger roaches, ivory heads, orange heads and pantanal roaches are good options.

If you don't mind climbers Periplaneta species could be a great option as well.

If you want both a display and a feeder, the pallid sun roach will work.

These are great! Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve grown fond of the roaches 🤦🏾‍♂️😅 a sentence I NEVER thought I would ever say lol. Cool display feeders would be fun.

Are tiny roach nymphs appropriate for hatchlings?

These are great! Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve grown fond of the roaches 🤦🏾‍♂️😅 a sentence I NEVER thought I would ever say lol. Cool display feeders would be fun.

Are tiny roach nymphs appropriate for hatchlings?
Very much so, especially since the species I listed don't tend to play dead and their size is perfect.

Once established they will reliably produce as well, no boom or bust cycles unless you mess up.

One more question. Backwater Reptiles have banana roaches at an awesome price. Has anyone ordered from them. I heard they don't have a great reputation. I'll also search the forums.

UPDATE: Nevermind...I found some from a different source. Green Banana Roaches are not an easy find. I'm gonna cherish these colonies lol

Last edited:
More options are blue bottle and green bottle flies/spikes, wax worms pupated into moths, painted lady butterflies, and pupating hornworms and silkworms, plus mantids, stick insects, etc!
Edit: for babies, aphids and bean beetles are great, too!

One more question. Backwater Reptiles have banana roaches at an awesome price. Has anyone ordered from them. I heard they don't have a great reputation. I'll also search the forums.

UPDATE: Nevermind...I found some from a different source. Green Banana Roaches are not an easy find. I'm gonna cherish these colonies lol

I hope so lol order nymphs if possible since they handle shipping better than adults, they also appreciate a bioactive setup with rotting wood and leaves.

Indeed roach crossing is my primary dealer, however @jamest0o0 and @Hisserdude have great roaches.

Back
Top Bottom