Feeder Colonies

Jakedn

How long would it take for a small starter Dubia colony kit take to grow large enough to use the Dubia's as a staple diet w/o depleting the population too much?

I'm sure others will chime in by morning, but here are my thoughts....

there is no real or simple anser to this.

by getting say a colony of 100 mixed sized roaches, you should have about 10-20 full size adults if you are lucky.
maybe 20 to 30 sub-adults, and the rest are mixed sized babys.
at least that's what a friend just got when he ordered.

what ever you do, DON'T FEED OFF THE FULL SIZED ADULTS!!!!

since it can take 1 or 2 months for new babys to apear (depending if you have enough heat and/or humidity),and then about 3 months for them to grow up, you might want to wait a bit.

my friend is already feeding some off, but only like once a week....
and only like 1 each time, to get his beardie used to them.
in a few months he should be able to feed far more almost every other day.

but again, there is no simple anser.
it could take about 5-6 months if you only have 1 cham to feed.
6-7 months if you have 2.
7-8 months if you have 3 or more to feed.

again, humidity and temp will play a part in this so while it might be quick for some, it could be forever for others.
it will only take longer if you get less roaches.
yet it will be quicker if you get like 100 full sized adults.:p

I'm sure if you use the search button at the top you'll get other thoughts on this too.

(btw, I've never personaly dealt with roaches as they just creap me out and I could never see breeding them as I live in the NYC area...roach capital of the world.)

Harry

There is a simple answer for this. If you have 200 or more I would say it's safe to feed out of the colony. But I always take precautions and feel it's more safe to start feeding when you have 300. Good rule of thumb is don't feed off 10 small juveniles. Instead try to feed off 1 big nymph. Therefore, you're giving him the same amount but you're not killing off 9 others that have the potential to grow.

I'm sure others will chime in by morning, but here are my thoughts....

there is no real or simple anser to this.

by getting say a colony of 100 mixed sized roaches, you should have about 10-20 full size adults if you are lucky.
maybe 20 to 30 sub-adults, and the rest are mixed sized babys.
at least that's what a friend just got when he ordered.

what ever you do, DON'T FEED OFF THE FULL SIZED ADULTS!!!!

since it can take 1 or 2 months for new babys to apear (depending if you have enough heat and/or humidity),and then about 3 months for them to grow up, you might want to wait a bit.

my friend is already feeding some off, but only like once a week....
and only like 1 each time, to get his beardie used to them.
in a few months he should be able to feed far more almost every other day.

but again, there is no simple anser.
it could take about 5-6 months if you only have 1 cham to feed.
6-7 months if you have 2.
7-8 months if you have 3 or more to feed.

again, humidity and temp will play a part in this so while it might be quick for some, it could be forever for others.
it will only take longer if you get less roaches.
yet it will be quicker if you get like 100 full sized adults.:p

I'm sure if you use the search button at the top you'll get other thoughts on this too.

(btw, I've never personaly dealt with roaches as they just creap me out and I could never see breeding them as I live in the NYC area...roach capital of the world.)

Harry

Started with about 15-20 from Chameleo's Breeder.

I now have a tubful of them 2 months later. Has to be well over 100+ in there. I never took the time to count.
I did the standard procedure. Red lamp, egg crate, cricket crack and carrots.

Anyways, the ironic part is now that I have a colony, my chameleon refuses to eat them.

Edit; 666th post. The power of satan compells you! METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat one in front of him to show him that they are good to eat.

*wink* kidding. Try making one of those half gallon milk jug feeders. That how I got norman into Roaches. he goes nuts when they climb up the mesh. He eats them from my hand now.

Back
Top Bottom