Feeder Bug Breeding - Help Wanted!

@kinyonga and I have already proved this not to be totally true. I have a self sustaining super colony, well as far as breeding goes... of course I still need to feed them... and I know kin has in the past in her tortoise enclosure. That said, they do need some space, they won't pupate in a small container together.
Very interesting! I have read what @Klyde O'Scope mentioned about having to separate them so I did. However, if I can go about breeding them without having to do this, that would be awesome! How big of a container do you have them in? Also do you have any problems with the beetles eating the eggs or anything like that?

Very interesting! I have read what @Klyde O'Scope mentioned about having to separate them so I did. However, if I can go about breeding them without having to do this, that would be awesome! How big of a container do you have them in? Also do you have any problems with the beetles eating the eggs or anything like that?

You'd probably get more by separating. But I have mine in about 60 quart or so bin with a few inches substrate and a lot of wood to burrow in. I have way more than enough to feed off and sell some.

You'd probably get more by separating. But I have mine in about 60 quart or so bin with a few inches substrate and a lot of wood to burrow in. I have way more than enough to feed off and sell some.
What kind of *wood do you use? I actually have a shit ton of Aspen because of the hognose snake I have, would this be a good substrate to use?

Yeah most people use oats/bran, in the end does it matter all that much? Maybe not, but I figure the other option is better, safer, and as easy so why not.

Yup carrots, or just pouring water in the substrate are my main methods of hydration. Carrots make a good food too!

Don't blame you for that, we were all saying it at some point. @JacksJill @AmandaS think we should get that changed or altered at some point eh?
I do think we should get that changed. I hate telling people that mealworms should never be used, or death will be the outcome.

25 years ago when I had my anoles as pets I accidentally started a breeding colony of them. Someone at the feed store where I bought a small container of them told me to keep them in chicken laying mash and it would be their bedding and food so I did. One day when I was going through the mash looking for worms I noticed the mash was moving! I started looking closer and there where tons of tiny meal worms moving around! From then on I never ran out of them. Lol! Had that colony for a year or maybe two, I can’t remember.

So it is okay to feed them as a treat to my Cham then? I have a small container of them I bought the day I bought Eustis but they have sat in the fridge because someone on here told me not to feed those to him.

So it is okay to feed them as a treat to my Cham then? I have a small container of them I bought the day I bought Eustis but they have sat in the fridge because someone on here told me not to feed those to him.
Yes, they're fine as treats, part of a rotation, etc. I always try to keep a supply on-hand for variety, or in case an order of dubias is late, or I can't get to the cricket store for whatever reason (or they're out). They're certainly better than nothing.

Lately, I've been getting giant mealworms. Same species, but treated with a juvenile hormone analog (S-Methoprene) that retards pupating, so they get bigger & store longer. See the link for more.

If you ever get curious about it, there's a lot of information about their nutritional breakdown, and some of that has to do with what they're fed/gut loaded. One example:
1627704910243.png

Source: https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidance/20-dubia-roach-benefits

Back 25 years ago they used to say we shouldn’t feed mealworms because if the reptile didn’t kill it when it bit down on them that they would eat their way out of the belly of the reptile! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom