feeder bowls?

Dan

I have been told the feeder bowls are not necessary, and it is actually better to let them hunt and catch free roaming crickets. However, after reading over a lot of these forms I have noticed a lot of people seem to use them. Do you recommend using them? If so how is a good way to set it up? Should it be in the branches, or down low on the bottom of the cage? What is a good type of container to use?

it really isnt a big thing but dont use a clear container bc ur cham could try to catch the worm from the bottum and keep hitting the container. i recomend you free roaming the crickets and throwing in a couple worms in a feeder bowl thats what im doing and if the worms dont really move a lot i just leave them on the branches.
okay im done lol
-david

i used feeder bowls for both of my veileds with great success. good point on not using clear containers, when i did that my chams shot the outside as well

Do you have any good recommendations for a good container to use for a feeder bowl? And do you have any tips on placement of the bowl in the cage?

Some people use feeder cups because the prefer a bigger mesh screen and crickets would escape. You will need to poke tiny holes in the bottom of the cup so any water that goes in the cage wont drown your insects. Also make sure that whatever you use to attach it has no sharp edges...such as wires....they can easily catch their tongue on this.

It takes some patience and persistance to get your cham accustomed to finding food in a cup.
Eventually they will figure it out and go check the feeder cup several times a day to see if anything new has "magically" appeared.
The keys are: finding a good position for the cup and keeping it there, making sure (at least the first few weeks) there is always something in there, and not interfering too much.....sometimes it takes quite awhile for the discovery to happen.
A good way to start, if you are free range feeding already, is to place a small branch in the cup which allows the feeders to escape from the cup over time. Always start the feeders in the cup so your cham sees them escaping from that location. Eventually remove the branch once you notice your cham going to the cup to zap escaping crickets on a regular basis.
From this time on the cham will (hopefully) start going to check the cup.

-Brad

Can't the crickets jump out of the feeder cup?

I am going away for one weekend and need to find a solution for feeding my chameleon. I'll be able to feed him on Saturday morning but won't be back till Sunday evening and I've been told to remove the crickets before I go to bed? I won't be able to! Will using a feeder cup be the solution do you think? :confused:

Last edited:
Can't the crickets jump out of the feeder cup?

a tall narrow cup works for crickets. they cannot jump straight up.

I am going away for one weekend and need to find a solution for feeding my chameleon. I'll be able to feed him on Saturday morning but won't be back till Sunday evening and I've been told to remove the crickets before I go to bed? I won't be able to! Will using a feeder cup be the solution do you think? :confused:

honestly a day off from food should not make a big deal. a lot of people give there chams day off from food so that they keep their appetite.

if your cham is still young or is gravid you may wanna avoid this however.

New Cham????

Hi there Dan! Did you get a replacement for the poor babe that passed away? Since you are asking about feeder cups it sounds like the place got one for you.......Just curious and hopeful....

Back
Top Bottom