Feedback

xxcham

Hi! Please give any feedback i just got my new cham and am so excited but wanna make sure i’m doing everything right so i hopefully won’t run into any problems. some of the questions i can’t answer because i got him only about 5 hours ago.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, 2-3 months . got him 5 hours ago
  • Handling - i handled him to get him into the cage but that’s it. i’m gonna leave him alone for a while to let him settle in
  • Feeding - dubia roaches, black soilder fly larve. for treats silkworms and wax worms. However much he eats (i’m thinking 8-15) twice a day. I use the photo all around the chameleon forums to gutload my bugs
  • Supplements - using flukers for all my vitamins (calcium w d3, calcium w out d3, multivitamin) the calcium’s are phosphorus free). calcium without d3 6 days a week. multivitamin once every other week. calcium w d3 once every other week.
  • Watering- hand misting and dripper. i mist for 2 minutes 3 times a day (morning,afternoon, right before lights off. i saw him drink once.
  • Fecal Description - hasn’t pooped yet.
  • History - i just got him so i don’t know much but he’s a baby and the store i got him from got him from a breeder in florida. the store is a family runned business and had amazing reviews.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 ft Repti Breeze Zoomed Cage
  • Lighting - Arcadia t5 HO linear uvb and a zoomed basking light but i’m gonna change to a normal light bulb when the basking light i’m using now starts to fade because many resources said that was ok.
  • Temperature - 72 on bottom of cage and 80 under basking light and around 75 all around the cage.
  • Humidity - 51% during day. I put on a humidifier at night and it’s around 63%
  • Plants - i have 8 live plants. a large pothos on bottom and a lot of mini banana croutons around the cage
  • Placement - in a quiet room with barely any traffic. i’m getting a table for the cage but it’s taking forever to deliver so it’s currently on the floor :(.

Current Problem - nothing just looking for feedback! thanks for any help.

Hi there and welcome! Nothing sticks out at me as particularly concerning, but I am still a newbie. I think daytime humidity could be lower (30-50) but it's tough if you're in Florida. I have a dehumidifier for that purpose. Young chameleons can eat a lot since they're growing, so you might want to up the amount to ~18 depending on the size of the feeders. Keep an eye out for that first poop! Such a fun milestone, lol.

Please take photos of the enclosure and your chameleon and share those when you get the chance.

here’s him this morning drinking some water. even though drinking water is a very boring thing to do he’s so cute!!
69384AFA-B2EF-4413-AAFB-6494F2324010.jpeg

@xxcham See my feedback in red bold. :)
Chameleon Info:

• Handling - i handled him to get him into the cage but that’s it. i’m gonna leave him alone for a while to let him settle in
  • Feeding - dubia roaches, black soilder fly larve. for treats silkworms and wax worms. However much he eats (i’m thinking 8-15) twice a day. I use the photo all around the chameleon forums to gutload my bugs. You may find that he will not understand what the feeders are if he was fed only crickets.... This may cause him not to eat so really watch this. you do not want babies to go without food.
  • Supplements - using flukers for all my vitamins (calcium w d3, calcium w out d3, multivitamin) the calcium’s are phosphorus free). calcium without d3 6 days a week. multivitamin once every other week. calcium w d3 once every other week.
  • Watering- hand misting and dripper. i mist for 2 minutes 3 times a day (morning,afternoon, right before lights off. i saw him drink once.
  • History - i just got him so i don’t know much but he’s a baby and the store i got him from got him from a breeder in florida. the store is a family runned business and had amazing reviews.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - Arcadia t5 HO linear uvb and a zoomed basking light but i’m gonna change to a normal light bulb when the basking light i’m using now starts to fade because many resources said that was ok. What strength UVB bulb are you running and what is your distance to basking from it?
  • Temperature - 72 on bottom of cage and 80 under basking light and around 75 all around the cage. Good how are you measuring your temp at basking?
  • Humidity - 51% during day. I put on a humidifier at night and it’s around 63%.. Daytime should be 30-50% max and night can be up to 100%. I would drop the mid day misting... Just do morning and evening. This should reduce your ambient daytime level.
  • Plants - i have 8 live plants. a large pothos on bottom and a lot of mini banana croutons around the cage
  • Placement - in a quiet room with barely any traffic. i’m getting a table for the cage but it’s taking forever to deliver so it’s currently on the floor :(.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

@xxcham See my feedback in red bold. :) Hi! im just gonna answer some of the questions you asked in blue.
Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - dubia roaches, black soilder fly larve. for treats silkworms and wax worms. However much he eats (i’m thinking 8-15) twice a day. I use the photo all around the chameleon forums to gutload my bugs. You may find that he will not understand what the feeders are if he was fed only crickets.... This may cause him not to eat so really watch this. you do not want babies to go without food. That actually happened today and he wasn’t eating his food so i bought him some crickets and he ate those right away. So i am gonna slowly ease him into the other bugs.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - Arcadia t5 HO linear uvb and a zoomed basking light but i’m gonna change to a normal light bulb when the basking light i’m using now starts to fade because many resources said that was ok. What strength UVB bulb are you running and what is your distance to basking from it? 6% and im not sure what you mean with the distance. here’s an image of my set up tho
    D4E5A098-580E-44F3-AC84-9AF8385F4105.jpeg
  • Temperature - 72 on bottom of cage and 80 under basking light and around 75 all around the cage. Good how are you measuring your temp at basking? i was using a temp gun but was told that the temp guns only measure surface temp so i’m getting a probe one too.
  • Humidity - 51% during day. I put on a humidifier at night and it’s around 63%.. Daytime should be 30-50% max and night can be up to 100%. I would drop the mid day misting... Just do morning and evening. This should reduce your ambient daytime level. ok!

@xxcham
Perfect so per the distance... With a 6% bulb in a single bulb T5HO fixture you want a distance of 9 inches from the screen where the fixture sits to the closest basking branch. This will give you an approximate 3 UVI level. Make sure there are branches directly below the T5. While you see the light the actual pattern of the uvb is directly below the bulb and spreads a bit but lowers in UVI level (about 2-3 inches out from the sides) so it is important to have a branch in alignment with where the T5 is 9 inches down for the cham to get the correct UVB level.

Back
Top Bottom