Favorite hygrometer and thermometer... and GO!!!

Decadancin

Moderatoris Americanus
Staff member
So what are the best options for measuring temps around the enclosure (other than digital laser) and humidity levels? Best value and best performance...

I think all hydrometers suck. You could order a dozen and line them all up, and you would get a swing from 45% to 65% easy.

Id say the best bet is go with a humidor setup and a calibration kit. It would cost $20-30 for a good adjustable hydrometer, and then $5-10 for the "75% in a bag" self calibration kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Caliber-Digital-Hygromter/dp/B00JXOKQVW
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Hygrometer-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKPT0
https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-One-Step-Hygrometer-Calibration-Kit/dp/B000A3UBLA

The nice thing abouty cigars and chameleons, is they like the same temperatures and humidity levels :)

I think all hydrometers suck. You could order a dozen and line them all up, and you would get a swing from 45% to 65% easy.

Id say the best bet is go with a humidor setup and a calibration kit. It would cost $20-30 for a good adjustable hydrometer, and then $5-10 for the "75% in a bag" self calibration kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Caliber-Digital-Hygromter/dp/B00JXOKQVW
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Hygrometer-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKPT0
https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-One-Step-Hygrometer-Calibration-Kit/dp/B000A3UBLA

The nice thing abouty cigars and chameleons, is they like the same temperatures and humidity levels :)

Wanted to laugh and like at the same time, but could not...

Funny, I was thinking of an analog hygrometer. Have you used one inside an enclosure? Besides the accuracy, they have a great look and should be better equipped to deal with moisture.

Anyone using these? Inkbird ITC-608T...

1579663451337.jpeg

Wondering how they would do for high humidity situations...

Wanted to laugh and like at the same time, but could not...

Funny, I was thinking of an analog hygrometer. Have you used one inside an enclosure? Besides the accuracy, they have a great look and should be better equipped to deal with moisture.

I have not used an analog inside of an enclosure. I take mine to work where we have a calibrated one, and make sure mine matches. I use the analog non battery ones for inside gun cases etc, but they are for low humidity situations.

I still really like the SensorPush sensors. Basically they are data loggers that can export all of it if needed.
EA736F75-BB4B-4C1B-A92D-F36D37D89828.jpeg

they pop out data like this:
F0620F90-0149-4CB3-B6BC-C2E378C22301.png

CDCE0CD1-3C04-4E07-A6BF-ADF6977A13DF.png

they are Bluetooth, or with a hub (I went this route) they are viewable anywhere.
The only downside that I have had is that I can’t use them with IFTTT to control anything, so it is strictly data. Plus they are a tad expensive to start.

I still really like the SensorPush sensors. Basically they are data loggers that can export all of it if needed.
View attachment 257173
they pop out data like this:
View attachment 257174
View attachment 257175
they are Bluetooth, or with a hub (I went this route) they are viewable anywhere.
The only downside that I have had is that I can’t use them with IFTTT to control anything, so it is strictly data. Plus they are a tad expensive to start.

Ive been thinking of adding one of these to the greenhouse to start... they are expensive to get setup with wifi, but I spread it over 6 cages and greenhouse its a little better... do you use 1 or 2 per cage? They’re kinda bulky to add to the basking area. Im still on the fence.

Right now I’m using 4 in 1 cage. Keep in mind I don’t have my chameleon yet (he arrives this Thursday), so I am testing out temps. I have a thermostat nailing my basking site to 90 degrees, with one of these sensors temporarily attached in a weird position:
image.jpg

you can see the thermostat probe and the sensor really close together(also the heat lamp is about 1 inch off the screen). My intent is to move the sensor and keep the probe once I’m done adjusting and once I trust the readings (right now they are within a degree of each other, since the probe is only to the nearest degree I can’t claim more accuracy). I will move the sensor so it’s not in the way of my Cham actually basking, but keep it nearby.
I have another sensor at the highest UV spot, just to make sure there is enough warmth as well as UV. That site stays right around 85-86. As you can imagine the warmer areas of the cage have a lower humidity, with basking ~40%. Then I test the dead center of the enclosure for “ambient”. I try to get it to be 75 degrees with 60-70% humidity. Then finally I have one at a low point to make sure the coolest part of the enclosure doesn’t go below 70 degrees.
Again, all of these I move around to check for random hot spots or if it’s too cold if I get concerned, but honestly, 4 is probably overkill lol.
Hope this helps give you an idea!

Right now I’m using 4 in 1 cage. Keep in mind I don’t have my chameleon yet (he arrives this Thursday), so I am testing out temps. I have a thermostat nailing my basking site to 90 degrees, with one of these sensors temporarily attached in a weird position:
View attachment 257179
you can see the thermostat probe and the sensor really close together(also the heat lamp is about 1 inch off the screen). My intent is to move the sensor and keep the probe once I’m done adjusting and once I trust the readings (right now they are within a degree of each other, since the probe is only to the nearest degree I can’t claim more accuracy). I will move the sensor so it’s not in the way of my Cham actually basking, but keep it nearby.
I have another sensor at the highest UV spot, just to make sure there is enough warmth as well as UV. That site stays right around 85-86. As you can imagine the warmer areas of the cage have a lower humidity, with basking ~40%. Then I test the dead center of the enclosure for “ambient”. I try to get it to be 75 degrees with 60-70% humidity. Then finally I have one at a low point to make sure the coolest part of the enclosure doesn’t go below 70 degrees.
Again, all of these I move around to check for random hot spots or if it’s too cold if I get concerned, but honestly, 4 is probably overkill lol.
Hope this helps give you an idea!

Dumb question/ favor. Can you put all 4 in one spot and get the same humidity readings? Thats the only thing that annoys me buying hydrometers. Thermometers have it down and almost no variance. But i can buy a $35 indoor thermometer with hydrometer, and its wireless outdoor sensor, and i get completely different reading when placed side by side.

Thanks for testing and sharing. I’ve been looking at these for a while. Anyone use the govee sensors?

Back
Top Bottom