Fat Veileds?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
This forum correctly identified a female Panther that I bought as a male.
Then correctly identified MBD in a Panther that I'd recently purchased. (He's being treated)
Now I understand that I've been feeding these 14 month old and 16 month old Veilds WAY TOO MUCH food.
I've cut back to about 3 food items every other day. (From many items daily)
They sure don't like it!
Thank you other CHAMELEONFORUM members for all of the valuable help!
20210203_111337.jpg
20210203_111408.jpg

Another bonus to cutting bac food is they become very willing to come to you, and more comfortable. I use a cup, but in my hand. This is how they are fed. As a result I could make it look like I can call my Chams and they come like puppies. It is really just food based.

Yeah, they're some chunky boys.
Macys Parade GIF by The 93rd Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Hey, your lights look SUPER close to them too. It looks like they might get burned...that male in the bottom photo, do you have a better pic of his casque?
Those are 40 watt
You can lay your hand right on the screen and it doesn't get too uncomfortable.
Both of them have a scuffed up casque due to me not readjusting the branches and now they're some are too high up. They get drug across the screen top.
They're very large. Especially the older one.

Those are 40 watt
Both of them have a scuffed up casque due to me not readjusting the branches and now they're some are too high up. They get drug across the screen top.
Awesome! So long as you have tested and know, that's what matters!

Those are 40 watt
Ummmm why would you not drop the branches then? This really is not a good thing.. Continued damage could lead to infection. With Veileds we have to accommodate the size of their casque. And this means making sure they are not hurting themselves scrapping it on the top screen. This also poses a risk for shedding issues if they are continually damaging the scales.

So, it's been about 3 weeks since my Veileds went on their diet. Actually a new lifestyle.
The basques are still fat. Not the KANKLE situation seems gone. And I can now see ribs.
They now eat 3 or 4 staple food items every 2 days with most weekends skipped. This includes 1 superworm each per week.
Sound good?

So, it's been about 3 weeks since my Veileds went on their diet. Actually a new lifestyle.
The basques are still fat. Not the KANKLE situation seems gone. And I can now see ribs.
They now eat 3 or 4 staple food items every 2 days with most weekends skipped. This includes 1 superworm each per week.
Sound good?
Depending on size of food item. I feed 2lg cricket sized meals every two days, skip weekends.

I have all 3 cham cages set up at 82°, 83° basking
Ambient air is 73°during the day.
Nighttime is 68°
I should have mentioned temps. It matters. My ambient is about the same, but basking < 80. Nights are under 65f. Yours is not wrong, but would take slightly ore food in theory.

These guys are paper thin when viewed from above but still have fat casques. I'm assuming that casque fat takes longer to burn off?
I've upped the food intake to 3 large dusted, well fed crickets every other day. Plus one SUPERWORM every Saturday.
My baby Panther (the one with MBD) Still gets an all you can eat buffet with crickets and soft worms like wax worms and horn worms. And more D3 than my other Chameleons as well as his daily prescription liquid calcium while he is recovering.
Eventually I'll offer crunchier, larger foods when he's stronger and larger.

These guys are paper thin when viewed from above but still have fat casques. I'm assuming that casque fat takes longer to burn off?
I've upped the food intake to 3 large dusted, well fed crickets every other day. Plus one SUPERWORM every Saturday.
My baby Panther (the one with MBD) Still gets an all you can eat buffet with crickets and soft worms like wax worms and horn worms. And more D3 than my other Chameleons as well as his daily prescription liquid calcium while he is recovering.
Eventually I'll offer crunchier, larger foods when he's stronger and larger.
yes, the fat in the casque takes longer... But are you weighing them weekly to see what the loss is each week? Do you know what they weigh now and how long total length they are? All this matters with their weight.

Also did you drop the branches down so they are not continuously hitting the top screen with their casques and back?

Back
Top Bottom