Fat....or constipated??

CrazyCalvin

Hi everyone,

this may be a silly question, but wanted a little bit of clarification.

Can Chameleons suffer with constipation and if they do, why? I noticed last week my cham was starting to look a bit podgy and wondered whether he was just getting fat or maybe not feeling too well, as he was spending a lot of time lying on his branches and just 'chilling' out rather than moving around. He's 14 weeks now and i feed him roughly 10/12 hoppers a day-5 in the morning and 5 in the evening. He's seems to be a bit more active today so all is fine now but just wanted a little more info incase this happens again.

Just to add- how can u tell whether a chameleon is over-weight?

Sorry it might just be me being paranoid :D:D

Well yes they can, but I don't know if it would actually make him look bloated. When is the last time your chameleon pooped? When you say you feed him in the evening-how close before the lights go out? If you feed him too late he really doesn't have time to bask and digest his food then. As far as fat, do you know what he weighs? What about the fat pads on his head-what do they look like? Could you post a picture of him? Constipation can also be caused by some type of impaction which I am not saying is even the case with yours. And you are sure your cham is a he and not a she right?, although 4 months would be young to be gravid.

Hi everyone,

this may be a silly question, but wanted a little bit of clarification.

Can Chameleons suffer with constipation and if they do, why? I noticed last week my cham was starting to look a bit podgy and wondered whether he was just getting fat or maybe not feeling too well, as he was spending a lot of time lying on his branches and just 'chilling' out rather than moving around. He's 14 weeks now and i feed him roughly 10/12 hoppers a day-5 in the morning and 5 in the evening. He's seems to be a bit more active today so all is fine now but just wanted a little more info incase this happens again.

Just to add- how can u tell whether a chameleon is over-weight?

Sorry it might just be me being paranoid :D:D

How late are you feeding him in the evening? They need time to bask after eating to digest their food. If you are feeding him late or just before lights out he may not be digesting all of it. Being a youngster maybe try feeding him in the morning and then no later than a few hours before lights are out, preferably early afternoon.

By "Hoppers" do you mean crickets? Hoppers is traditionally a term referring to mice, which should not be in a chameleons diet(will cause gout).

As for the overweight an image or at minimum detailed measurements and weight.

Also, If you fill this out and post an image it would help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Well yes they can, but I don't know if it would actually make him look bloated. When is the last time your chameleon pooped? When you say you feed him in the evening-how close before the lights go out? If you feed him too late he really doesn't have time to bask and digest his food then. As far as fat, do you know what he weighs? What about the fat pads on his head-what do they look like? Could you post a picture of him? Constipation can also be caused by some type of impaction which I am not saying is even the case with yours. And you are sure your cham is a he and not a she right?, although 4 months would be young to be gravid.

Well when he looked 'bloated' i didnt notice a lot of poop in the vivarium to be honest-although he has been going to the toilet now. I feed him at about 5-6pm in the evening and the lights go out at 9:30pm. I cant feed him any earlier than that due to work. I am pretty sure he's a he :D he was sexed when i bought him.

By Hoppers i mean baby locust...not mice haha!! Thats what we call them over here :)

I will try and post a picture

thanks every one :)

heres some pics guys...one of him quite podgy and one of him a few seconds later...maybe its just the position hes sitting in...let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• IMG01152-20110202-1437.jpg
    IMG01152-20110202-1437.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG01155-20110202-1439.jpg
    IMG01155-20110202-1439.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 290
Looks like a healthy veiled male chameleon man. If your worried about him getting constipated then give him warm showers a few times a month on cage cleaning days. My guys/gals always poop either during or shortly after a nice warm shower. Be sure to place them on a size approp plant and make the shower mist a warm spray on the edge of the plant. He will sit and drink and rinse his eyes in the warm spray.

really :) oh im so glad you've said that :D the hardest thing i've found about having a chameleon is that i have nothing to compare it to, so it's hard to know whether he's healthy ...or not. Nice to have some reassurance tho to know i'm doing ok with him. I do try and spray him 2-3 times a day, i even pop home in my lunch break if i can, but he HATES being sprayed...runs a mile! suppose its something he'll just have to get used to!! :D

I dont know if youve tried warming up his misting water first but it helps them to accept misting. I warm my water up in the microwave for about a minute or so. I check the temp first before spraying to make sure its a little warmer than room temp. After I started doing that my chams will pretty much let me mist them for as long as i want too. Its that initial shock of cold water that kinda freaks em out.

Yep i've tried that trick :D but he isnt having any of it haha!! Even tried to mist him whilst he's out and on his plant....but nope! hopefully he'll get used to it ...one day! :)

Back
Top Bottom