Fasting?

I tried to feed her this morning, she ate one cricket and then ignored all other attempts to feed her. Help?!
NickyChameleon, no one can offer you any help at all with the scant information you have given.

Please go to the Health section and fill out the "How to Ask for Help" form that I think is at the top of the page.

The reason your chameleon didn't eat more than one cricket can run the gamut from a chameleon that is about to die to one that is not hungry because it is full. That's a rather large range of possibilities!

I may be wrong here but don't only humans "fast"? As in make a conscious decision to not eat or drink, usually for spiritual reasons, "health", or protest for usually a short period of time? It would seem so to me. o_O

I may be wrong here but don't only humans "fast"? As in make a conscious decision to not eat or drink, usually for spiritual reasons, "health", or protest for usually a short period of time? It would seem so to me. o_O
Chameleons can decide not to eat in protest of something, but I'm guessing she's young based on her thumbnail. Depending on how long you've had her, she may just need time to get used to her environment. It could also be stress, as jajeanpierre said before, it really could be many reasons, however I suspect she's stress or not comfortable in her new home yet.

I guess in a way you're right. As in they have no appetite for whatever you're offering and or because they're not feeling well. Not to fast though. :D

I guess in a way you're right. As in they have no appetite for whatever you're offering and or because they're not feeling well. Not to fast though. :D
OK well for one I have no idea why she isn't eating. She sees it, then she looks at me for a second, and continues to ignore it. I've tried crickets and mealworms, nothing. I just moved her into her mesh cage a few days ago, but she seemed fine with it. Oh yeah, and the humidity never rises above 30, no matter how much o spray it. The stand is currently being rigged with the misting system and should be back tonight. She hasn't eaten but 4 crickets in 3 days. The cage is at a constant 60 degrees, as my dad accidentally broke my heat bulb and is actually supposed to buy me one today.... Anyway that's all I know. I hope you can derive a conclusion from that.

there are several things as to why she isn't eating. 1.) Didn't you just move her into a new enclosure. that can cause them to stop eating for several days. 2.) a 60 degree ambient temp in the cage is way to low for a chameleon and you must raise that asap a 60-65 ambient temp should be during the night not day for a chameleon.

Its like a winter or night time for the cham,please get the heat bulb(regular house light bulb)replace,before more issues comes,hopefully she will start eating soon good luck NickyChameleon.

OK well for one I have no idea why she isn't eating. She sees it, then she looks at me for a second, and continues to ignore it. I've tried crickets and mealworms, nothing. I just moved her into her mesh cage a few days ago, but she seemed fine with it. Oh yeah, and the humidity never rises above 30, no matter how much o spray it. The stand is currently being rigged with the misting system and should be back tonight. She hasn't eaten but 4 crickets in 3 days. The cage is at a constant 60 degrees, as my dad accidentally broke my heat bulb and is actually supposed to buy me one today.... Anyway that's all I know. I hope you can derive a conclusion from that.

How many live plants do you have in there? What kind of Humidity Monitor do you have, is it working? Having several live plants will help with humidity. If they aren't enough you can cover 1-3 sides of the mesh cage and that should do it. Some people use shower curtains, some coroplast. Start with one side and work your way up if you have to but do leave plenty of air space. You want it 40+, 40-70%. Getting higher after misting and letting it come back down till things are on dryer side, closer to 40.

All you need is a regular house bulb for heat. The wattage depends on your particular situation/set up.

60 degrees, ectotherm, small appetite!
That makes perfect sense to me, but I really doubt someone who has absolutely no idea why their chameleon isn't eating when the ambient temps are 60F will have a clue what you are talking about.

I don't know what to make of this thread and how to respond.

Can someone own a chameleon, be on this forum and not understand the effect temperature has on a cold-blooded reptile? If they don't understand how temperature affects their chameleon, do they understand anything about the nature of any reptile?

He's said how old he was before. I never think age is an excuse and I never treat anyone differently because of how old or young they are, but does no one here have kids, step-kids or younger siblings? It's not always easy to get them to understand complete concepts, especially when they are excited and passionate about something. Sometimes things don't click when read the first time, and the very obvious can either have been never learned or overlooked.

That makes perfect sense to me, but I really doubt someone who has absolutely no idea why their chameleon isn't eating when the ambient temps are 60F will have a clue what you are talking about.

I don't know what to make of this thread and how to respond.

Can someone own a chameleon, be on this forum and not understand the effect temperature has on a cold-blooded reptile? If they don't understand how temperature affects their chameleon, do they understand anything about the nature of any reptile?
It was a homework project for a youthful member who doesn't take some of the advice given to him to heart, a challenge to do a little research on his own.

Last edited:
Nicky, you need to chill out before you give yourself an ulcer. I'm a high strung person myself, but your anxiety is through the roof. It's not healthy to worry so much. Every little thing your chameleon does is not an imminent sign of death. You have posted pictures of your little girl in a previous thread. She looks fine. Experienced members have told you that she is fine. If you don't believe them, then take her to the vet. It is the only way to know for sure. By the way, I own a female cham myself. The egg laying thing is not a big deal if your husbandry is correct. If you give her enough calcium, and a proper sized laying bin with washed play sand, she will lay her eggs with no problems. Keeping chams is not rocket science. You are making this much more difficult than it actually is. Keeping a cham alive requires research, common sense, and work. You need to read more care sheets and use the forum search function to answer your questions. Also, you need to stop using your age as an excuse. When I was your age, I had a leopard gecko. I read several care sheets and two books about them. After I got my leo, I became fascinated with Chinese water dragons. I had just enough money to buy one, the supplies and the enclosure. Did I do it? No. I saved the money for my leo in case she ever needed to go to the vet. In 5 years, when you turn 18, you won't be able to use your age as an excuse anymore. What will be your excuse then? I apologize if I sound harsh. You don't seem to understand subtle advice, so I figured I would be very clear and honest with you.

Nicky, you need to chill out before you give yourself an ulcer. I'm a high strung person myself, but your anxiety is through the roof. It's not healthy to worry so much. Every little thing your chameleon does is not an imminent sign of death. You have posted pictures of your little girl in a previous thread. She looks fine. Experienced members have told you that she is fine. If you don't believe them, then take her to the vet. It is the only way to know for sure. By the way, I own a female cham myself. The egg laying thing is not a big deal if your husbandry is correct. If you give her enough calcium, and a proper sized laying bin with washed play sand, she will lay her eggs with no problems. Keeping chams is not rocket science. You are making this much more difficult than it actually is. Keeping a cham alive requires research, common sense, and work. You need to read more care sheets and use the forum search function to answer your questions. Also, you need to stop using your age as an excuse. When I was your age, I had a leopard gecko. I read several care sheets and two books about them. After I got my leo, I became fascinated with Chinese water dragons. I had just enough money to buy one, the supplies and the enclosure. Did I do it? No. I saved the money for my leo in case she ever needed to go to the vet. In 5 years, when you turn 18, you won't be able to use your age as an excuse anymore. What will be your excuse then? I apologize if I sound harsh. You don't seem to understand subtle advice, so I figured I would be very clear and honest with you.
Well first off- ow. Rude.
Anyway, I'm getting the heat bulb tomorrow. I suspected that the temps and humidity had to do with it. Also yeah. I have no chill. One more thing, it was 68-70 without the heat bulb a few days ago. It got a little colder here and my dad broke my heat bulb. I am oh so sorry if I have wronged thy royalties.

Well first off- ow. Rude.
Anyway, I'm getting the heat bulb tomorrow. I suspected that the temps and humidity had to do with it. Also yeah. I have no chill. One more thing, it was 68-70 without the heat bulb a few days ago. It got a little colder here and my dad broke my heat bulb. I am oh so sorry if I have wronged thy royalties.

Wow.

Do you actually expect anyone to help you?

Nicky, I have noticed a few of your questions on here have gotten some tough answers. Partly by the way your wording comes across, and partly because you likely need to do some more research before asking. Having said that, I don't know it all and don't have all the answers, but I'll try to help when I can. I will ask how old your chameleon is, how much has he or she been eating, and what type of hygrometer have you been using.

I would always suggest using two hygrometers inside an enclosure just in case there is a problem with one. They are not generally too expensive and can tell you if one is malfunctioning when you get two totally different readings. As for the basking bulb, do you happen to have one in a lamp that is not being used right now? You just have to be careful of the temp, but any 60 watt incandescent bulb would do.

Don't take it personally that some seem to be attacking you. Just know that we all have the best interest of the animals in mind and we sometimes forget what it is like to be starting out in this obsession. You do not have to make excuses, but just need to learn and change what you can control. Best of luck and keep asking questions. That's the best way to learn.

Don't think every little thing that your chameleon does wrong is bad. she might have eggs (chams and many other reptiles will have eggs without breeding)

Back
Top Bottom