Falling

Perceus

Percy seems to be falling from his jungle gym lately. First 2 times i was home to put him back up in his basking spot but yesterday i came home to find him on the cage floor ...wet and cold :( . I have a vine that extends to the bottom just in case something like this happened but he didnt use it.
Does anyone else out there have a problem with their Chamy falling off the branches? Im worried that his grip is failing.

They sometimes fall. If too often, there might be something wrong. How old is he? how strong is his grip? Can you fill out the help form?

If falling is repeated. It could be a supplement issue.

What are you supplementing with and how often?

When we brought our Cham to the Vet, she warned that they fall often. You can pad the bottow of the cage to help with impact.

When we brought our Cham to the Vet, she warned that they fall often. You can pad the bottow of the cage to help with impact.

Chams should NOT fall often. They are arboreal animals, if they fall alot, then there is a problem.

Percy seems to be falling from his jungle gym lately. First 2 times i was home to put him back up in his basking spot but yesterday i came home to find him on the cage floor ...wet and cold :( . I have a vine that extends to the bottom just in case something like this happened but he didnt use it.
Does anyone else out there have a problem with their Chamy falling off the branches? Im worried that his grip is failing.

How old is your UBV Bulb. Bodhi fell a lot and turns out has MBD from the ubv getting old and him not eating till the dust flaked off.

How long have you kept him?

Cham may fall down but he would climb back up. What did you mean by wet and cold? Do you have still water or wet base in your cage?

If this already happened twice and if the enclosure quite high you may want to check for any broken bone or bruises.

Keep us updated!

His grip seems pretty firm. I have had percy since he was a wee lad. Purchased him from the Kammers at about 2 months old. He is 2 years old now. I did take him to the vet recently for an eye problem but he didnt mention any other problems while i was there.
Percy isnt a very good eater unfortunately. I do use his supplements but he is so picky about his food that i feel as though its a hit and miss with him actually getting them.
I use Herpevite Multi Vit, Repti Cal vit w/no D, Sticky Farms Indoor Cal.
I try and get him outside in the Natural Sunlight when it permits.

Here is a picture of my boy

Attachments

• Percy.JPG
    Percy.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 116
  • New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 102
You should change the vet. Wrong advise.

that’s a bit harsh imo. we don’t know how it was said in context nor whatever advice was given; she could be the best cham vet around. i wouldn’t change based on what a single comment passed along provoked in others.

the fact is, chams do fall off of their branches here and there. whether it’s running from a groping hand, being too cool and not being able to prehend as quickly as usual, or whatever, i’ve seen and owned dozens of chams that have taken many a nosedive. with that being said i wouldn’t necessarily advise padding the bottom (no substrates!) unless it was an ill cham that we expected might fall more frequently. and then it would need to be in a shallower cage also.

if the OP thought she was a good vet overall, i would stick with that impression. if other advice seemed a bit “out there” then maybe i wouldn’t. but i would not suggest changing what might be a great resource if that’s the only thing said that might be debatable!

feel free to pass along anything else you might have been told that you were told and are unsure of….as a group we can probably consolidate it down to what seems correct, incorrect, or questionable.

Maybe i could put some tightly woven netting to catch his fall. Then there would be no substrate and it would still be able to drain.

Back
Top Bottom