Fake vines hammocks & ladders are not good to use bc they host bacteria but why don’t real wood branches & sticks host as much bacteria?

I have always used real sticks & branches from outside for my chameleon enclosures. I sanitize them, bake them for 30 minutes on 250 to get rid of bacteria & pests & have always read that fake vines, hammocks & climbing ladders are host for bacteria to grow so I never wanted to use them. But I’m wondering, why isn’t it the same for real branches I’m using too? Won’t the same bacteria start to grow on them as well? Isn’t wood porous? So wouldn’t it get into the nooks and crannies of the Wood too? Does wood only provide beneficial bacteria? I do still clean my branches with vinegar & water on occasion & My enclosure is bioactive as well. But just wondering why fake decor like vines & hammocks are so frowned upon? Thanks!

Bacteria isn’t the concern for these items. In the case of hammocks and ladders, it’s a risk that their claws can get trapped and damaged. Some vines, specifically the black Exo Terra ones have a tendency to crumble or shed tiny particles, which when a shedding and itchy chameleon rubs it’s face against it, risks getting the particles trapped in it’s eyes.
Bacteria is the concern for things such as water bowls, waterfalls and other water features and reptile carpet substrate, along with some other substrates that are left moist and not cleaned nor bioactive. Poop enters, grows and then bad bacteria grows.
Btw, all you need to do for your natural branches is wash them with some dish soap (like Dawn), rinse well and let dry (preferably in the sun). No need for baking, bleaching or other sterilization.
Bacteria for all living creatures is an important and unavoidable part of life. It’s only when certain ‘bad’ bacteria overgrow that they become a problem.

@MissSkittles Well said.

Note for some older chameleons climbing can become more difficult in their later years. I assume this is when people turn to hammocks. I think parrot ladders or something similar made of branches placed horizontally and/or sloped are a good choice to help them get around with ease.

I wouldn't use man made ladders exclusively in cages and the reason is the uniformity of the rods makes the chameleon stand on the some part of the foot constantly and can lead to sores.

Bacteria isn’t the concern for these items. In the case of hammocks and ladders, it’s a risk that their claws can get trapped and damaged. Some vines, specifically the black Exo Terra ones have a tendency to crumble or shed tiny particles, which when a shedding and itchy chameleon rubs it’s face against it, risks getting the particles trapped in it’s eyes.
Bacteria is the concern for things such as water bowls, waterfalls and other water features and reptile carpet substrate, along with some other substrates that are left moist and not cleaned nor bioactive. Poop enters, grows and then bad bacteria grows.
Btw, all you need to do for your natural branches is wash them with some dish soap (like Dawn), rinse well and let dry (preferably in the sun). No need for baking, bleaching or other sterilization.
Bacteria for all living creatures is an important and unavoidable part of life. It’s only when certain ‘bad’ bacteria overgrow that they become a problem.
+1 except for the Dawn dish soap. I know you said rinse well, but how many do/don't.
I'm going to cite a couple of searches and let folks decide for themselves. I've checked and there are articles in support of both sides in each of them.
is dawn dish soap safe
is dawn dish soap toxic

...or use any search criteria you prefer.

File under: Better Safe Than Sorry

Back
Top Bottom