Eyes look sunk in around edges??

TimothyOnTop

Established Member
My 6 month old has been eating and growing no signs of sickness just curious if his eyes look normal??

Attachments

• 20231211_162817.jpg
    20231211_162817.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 20
Here's from a different angle they are nice and puffy just look weird around the edges? Hopefully in just being over reactive about my baby I had my husbandry reviewed recently the only suggestion Was to get rid of fake plants which I am in the process of doing.

Attachments

• 17025908475937928019460282850194.jpg
    17025908475937928019460282850194.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 20
He could be stressed... How often do you handle him?
Have you gotten a fecal test done? what do his urates look like?
I handle him for about 10 to 15 minutes a day I haven't gotten a fecal test done and his urates are picture perfect he is very hydrated he loves the dripper I made for him. Do his eyes look normal to you?

They look a little sunken. It could be from handling. Don't handle him tomorrow and see if its stress, if they are still sunken within two-three days I would get a fecal test.

OK thank you very much for your help I will leave him be and make his life stress free.
I handle my cham about three times a week, using their favorite foods will help with the bond. after he realizes you being around usually means food, he will start to trust the handling. However, Veild chameleons seem to be more aggressive during handling.

also, he is a beautiful boy!

I handle my cham about three times a week, using their favorite foods will help with the bond. after he realizes you being around usually means food, he will start to trust the handling. However, Veild chameleons seem to be more aggressive during handling.

also, he is a beautiful boy!
He walks right into my Habs when I open his cage he walks up to me and into my hand if idont pick him up he stands on his back legs and waves his front hands at me

He walks right into my Habs when I open his cage he walks up to me and into my hand if idont pick him up he stands on his back legs and waves his front hands at me
Okay, if he isn't stressed while handling then this is what I'm going to wrap it up to, he doesn't care about the camera/phone, mine doesn't either. his eyes are like this on the side photo because he is fired up.' he is more relaxed in the second photo, my cham will do this sometimes also. Once I get a picture, I can show you more of what I mean.

Okay, if he isn't stressed while handling then this is what I'm going to wrap it up to, he doesn't care about the camera/phone, mine doesn't either. his eyes are like this on the side photo because he is fired up.' he is more relaxed in the second photo, my cham will do this sometimes also. Once I get a picture, I can show you more of what I mean.
Ok cool

Here is a picture of my cham, as you can see, he is bothered by the fact I am behind him. Thus, becoming fired up. in front of him he is relaxed. from my understanding he doesn't like me behind him, since it seems like a threat. I think this is what your boy is doing.

Attachments

• 1702594031356.JPEG
    1702594031356.JPEG
    242.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1702594042121.JPEG
    1702594042121.JPEG
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
Ok, thanks. I asked because it’s quite unusual (especially for a veiled) for a cham to want to come out to it’s human. Usually it means there’s something they don’t like in their enclosure. How big is that? I wonder if he is wanting a bigger space. Definitely replace all the artificial plants with safe live ones. I also suggest removing the pebbles you have on the bottom and just keeping the floor bare. The pebbles are small enough that he could accidentally eat one and end up with a bowel obstruction. Those are expensive and risky to treat when caught in time and fatal if not caught. The bamboo should really be replaced with a natural branch. Bamboo is really slippery, especially when wet. Ok, sorry to be so critical and I hope you know I’m not being mean…just trying to help.
As for his eyes, they do look sunken in in your first pic. Hard to really tell in the next one. When chams get upset, they can and will suck in their eyes. Try to catch him when he’s relaxed. Look to his urates to determine if he’s dehydrated. All white or mostly white with a bit of yellow on one end is fine. All dark or orange is dehydrated.

The cage is 18 inches deep 36 inches wide and 52 inches tall the sticks in his cage are natural branches and not bamboo and I am currently in the process of replacing all the fake plants for real ones I'm going to use pothos and money tree and I am trying to decide what to do with the substrate its currently clay pebbles with a clean up crew thriving with no soil only pebbles and they eat his waste crazy fast an hour after he goes its home so i would like to retain that is possible I fed him out of a feeder higher up in his cage I appreciate the information and I will get it fixed up for him he's my baby and I am a worry wart of a parent 😁

Attachments

• 17025992473312594616222390093414.jpg
    17025992473312594616222390093414.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 17
You can set it up true bioactive pretty easy which will keep your thriving clean up crew and the pebbles. You’ll need a piece of pvc pipe notched on one end (with a cap), landscape fabric or something similar to seperate your drainage layer of pebbles from a soil layer. This is a great guide to use. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
This is another member’s diagram (I forgot their name) that might help too.
IMG_0750.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom