Eyes closed

Meganlr2003

Hey I have a female veiled chameleon who has been sitting with closed eyes for the past few days and even sleeping during the day. I took her to an exotic vet clinic yesterday and they tube fed her and got her some water but other than that the only information they told me was that her saliva and mouth are normal and to raise temperatures in her cage. So I raised the temperature for a few minutes and in those minutes she had her mouth wide open and was freaking hot so i knew that was way too hot so I don’t believe being too cold is the issue. I’ve had her for about a month and have only handled her twice. I haven’t had success with hand feeding but she normally eats the free roaming insects just fine. Lately she has not been eating and drinking very little. Yesterday before the vet she was very inactive and basically stayed in her sleeping spot all day. Today she has been a lot more active roaming around her cage but still has her eyes closed for the most part. I just need to know the next step because the vet visit was $172 and I’m not sure if I can afford another one. Besides that is really the only exotic vet in my area
The photos below were taken before the vet yesterday.

Attachments

• 19A784EE-5513-4FA5-BA93-5798087A1E0D.jpeg
    19A784EE-5513-4FA5-BA93-5798087A1E0D.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 138
  • D6EB03E7-C443-4C6D-8B81-CE436F596448.jpeg
    D6EB03E7-C443-4C6D-8B81-CE436F596448.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 119
  • D0EAFBD0-40C3-4DCB-875C-358EA51EE1A0.jpeg
    D0EAFBD0-40C3-4DCB-875C-358EA51EE1A0.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 112
Hey I have a female veiled chameleon who has been sitting with closed eyes for the past few days and even sleeping during the day. I took her to an exotic vet clinic yesterday and they tube fed her and got her some water but other than that the only information they told me was that her saliva and mouth are normal and to raise temperatures in her cage. So I raised the temperature for a few minutes and in those minutes she had her mouth wide open and was freaking hot so i knew that was way too hot so I don’t believe being too cold is the issue. I’ve had her for about a month and have only handled her twice. I haven’t had success with hand feeding but she normally eats the free roaming insects just fine. Lately she has not been eating and drinking very little. Yesterday before the vet she was very inactive and basically stayed in her sleeping spot all day. Today she has been a lot more active roaming around her cage but still has her eyes closed for the most part. I just need to know the next step because the vet visit was $172 and I’m not sure if I can afford another one. Besides that is really the only exotic vet in my area
The photos below were taken before the vet yesterday.
Hi there she does not look good....

Can you please copy and paste this form into your reply and fill it out as detailed as possible. Also include pictures of her entire cage including the lighting on top and of her supplements.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

In this previous thread she looks much more healthy than she does in the photos in this thread...but even in this previous thread you could see a bit of bulge in the eye turret...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/age.182041/

In this thread and another one about the eyes we have asked you to answer the questions so we can see what might be causing the problem but you aren't answering them. The way your chameleon looks right now you are going to lose her soon if you don't solve the problem. You can say the vet you took the chameleon to has chameleon experience but if that's true he/she should have told you what was wrong and what to do about it.

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female Veiled Chameleon. I’m not sure of the age but the pet store said around three months old when I got here and I’ve had her for a little over a month. I have a laying bin ready for when she needs it.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled her twice in order to slowly gain her trust first.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed mostly dubia roaches and crickets. I normally feed about 10-12 feeders a day depending on their size. Hand feeding has not worked with her so I will set the insects in the cage for her to hunt throughout the day. I gutload with lettuce and carrots.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust with exoterra calcium without D3 at every feeding and zoomed’s reptivite with D3 every other week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist as well as use a dripper. I mist two times a day for about two minutes each. Normally I would see her drink but not for the past few days.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She has not been tested for parasites but I’m trying to take a sample to the vet tomorrow if possible. Her poop is not runny but is slightly yellow.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. None

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It is glass 18x18x24. I did have plans of buying a 2x2x4 screen enclosure before money went towards a vet visit but buying a screen enclosure for her is a priority for me.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a 75 watt heat lamp and a T8 linear hood with a 5.0 uvb light. These are on from 8am to 8pm and completely dark at night.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? During the day its around 80 degrees and around 60-70 at night. The vet said to raise these temps but again my chameleon started freaking out and her mouth was wide open so I quickly lowered them back down and she was fine.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity levels stay at about 50-60 during the day and up to 100 at night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I’m working on replacing fake plants with live plants so I have a few pathos plants for humidity and hiding as well as a few fake plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located away from everyone so she’s not seeing many people throughout the day. The cage is in the corner of my room and about 5 ft from the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Indiana

@Meganlr2003 See all my feedback in bold. I am pretty concerned about her. I really wonder if this is a parasite issue. Taking in a fecal is the only way to know for sure. But you need to get her eating and drinking. I would try to put feeders in a cup for her. Or if she gets mad and gapes at you stick one in her mouth. You could pick up some wax worms they at least are high in fat and would be easier to stick in her mouth. Keep a dripper running consistently for her during the day.
Can you post a pic of the entire cage please. Also I need details on the UVB see the section below.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female Veiled Chameleon. I’m not sure of the age but the pet store said around three months old when I got here and I’ve had her for a little over a month. I have a laying bin ready for when she needs it.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled her twice in order to slowly gain her trust first.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed mostly dubia roaches and crickets. I normally feed about 10-12 feeders a day depending on their size. Hand feeding has not worked with her so I will set the insects in the cage for her to hunt throughout the day. I gutload with lettuce and carrots. Need a better gutload see image below. Are you sure she was eating? Have you tried putting feeders in a cup for her?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust with exoterra calcium without D3 at every feeding and zoomed’s reptivite with D3 every other week. That is fine. make sure it is a light dusting not powdered donuts look.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist as well as use a dripper. I mist two times a day for about two minutes each. Normally I would see her drink but not for the past few days.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She has not been tested for parasites but I’m trying to take a sample to the vet tomorrow if possible. Her poop is not runny but is slightly yellow. So the urate is slightly yellow. This would be what tells us if she is dehydrated and that makes sense looking at her.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. None

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It is glass 18x18x24. I did have plans of buying a 2x2x4 screen enclosure before money went towards a vet visit but buying a screen enclosure for her is a priority for me. Is this glass?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a 75 watt heat lamp and a T8 linear hood with a 5.0 uvb light. These are on from 8am to 8pm and completely dark at night. A 5.0 bulb is not very strong in a T8. what is the measured distance to the basking branch below it and does the fixture have a plastic cover over the bulbs? She would literally need a branch to be about 3-4 inches below this fixture to get the UVB she needs.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? During the day its around 80 degrees and around 60-70 at night. The vet said to raise these temps but again my chameleon started freaking out and her mouth was wide open so I quickly lowered them back down and she was fine. How are you testing your temps? glass cages hold heat. Babies should be no hotter then 78-80 at basking.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity levels stay at about 50-60 during the day and up to 100 at night. Little high for daytime. should be 30-40max. 50 on a high side.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I’m working on replacing fake plants with live plants so I have a few pathos plants for humidity and hiding as well as a few fake plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located away from everyone so she’s not seeing many people throughout the day. The cage is in the corner of my room and about 5 ft from the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Indiana

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Still would like to know...what did the vet say??? Did they say she's too thin?
Did they say she looks healthy?

Also...sleeping during the day is not a good sign.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get her eating and drinking and get her into a better vet that provided medicine. The past few days she has been doing much better and thank you for all of your concern and for all of your advice and I will work to make the changes that were recommended:)

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get her eating and drinking and get her into a better vet that provided medicine. The past few days she has been doing much better and thank you for all of your concern and for all of your advice and I will work to make the changes that were recommended:)

What did the vet say and what did they give her medicine for?

I'd like to know what both vets said and what the medicine is....
Hope one of the vets is right and things are better from here on.

Back
Top Bottom